Recycling?

During our family Christmas gathering, my stepson had a conversation with his cousin about his work, driving roll off truck for GFL, and his opinion about the recycling that he would pick up and just move to be picked up again and shipped off to another place to be shipped to the US, was worse for the environment than just throwing it into the garbage. He clarified that he was talking about the recycling that governments pay to get rid of not the stuff that someone pays you for like metal and cardboard. My wife and I are scrutinizing what we recycle and what we throw out (she would like me to throw out a lot of stuff I hold onto because I might need it someday or it'd make a good project). My car hobby is fine because I get very much joy from working on them and based on an article I read quite a few years ago it would take about 35 years to overcome the carbon footprint of making a new Prius as compared to the carbon emissions from just driving your old truck. But the electronics that you have to replace because you can't change the battery or update the operating system (or like Apple they make the device work slower after two years so you will upgrade) are a significant issue. I was just going to post this video in "What are you listening to" but I'd like to inspire discussion about reusing, repairing, etc, and recycling.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you own/operate a Datsun you are already recycling. My '78 620 had...

A Toyota front axle

F150 leaf springs

Plymouth K car alternator

Dodge voltage regulator.

200sx radiator

GMC van slip shaft

D21 PS box and pump

720 steering column

720 dash

720 wiring harness

720 transfer case

720 '82 long box frame

720 long box fuel tank

GM 6 bolt chrome 15" rims

Dodge Daytona buckets

This was 13 years ago don't remember it all but the cab was original

I think the reuse what you've got mentality goes back way farther than car guys because it's much more logical than throwing your stuff away and then going out and getting another. My thought line was more along recycling where the local government uses tax money to collect "recyclables" then ships them off to unknown places where most of it is just dumped. Locally they just introduced automated curbside pick up with special plastic bins that must be placed one meter apart so the arms on the truck can get them. A coworker of mine lives in a kind of cul de sac, actually a driveway between two fourplexes that serves four homes that are set back. It is physically impossible to fit all the garbage and recycling bins for all the residence on that section of the street. Google say's that only 8-9% actually gets recycled, the rest is just trucked to other dumps farther away at taxpayers expense. I live outside the municipality so don't get garbage or recycling pickup, thus have to deal with it myself at my own expense, so I watch what I bring home. It is impossible get food from the grocery store without bringing home plastic.

A noted, a lot of the "recycling" system is a scam.  Here in Michigan we get to pay 10 cents for every bottle with anything carbonated (including beer) and then have to store and take them back to a location to get our deposit back.  Most stores only take back the brands they sell, so don't try to give them a Kroger club soda bottle at Walmart.  Now you have to go two places or save money and throw them away.

They stopped recycling collection in my township (local drop off), so when I actually go in to the office, I take stuff to another municipality 30 miles away and let their taxpayers cover the cost.  I'm helping the environment, right?  😉  I have no idea what they actually do with it or where it ends up.

Some streams like soda bottles made into other things is fairly common, but lots of the other supposedly recyclable plastics are put in a landfill like mentioned above.  I still do it almost out of spite to those who insist.

I do always recycle scrap metal and cardboard though, as those have a legitimate basis to do so.  And I get money for the metal.

• Like 1

I've always felt that the best kind of recycling is driving an older vehicle. The carbon emissions created by manufacturing a new outweighs what that vehicle will produce in its lifetime (if maintained properly). When that vehicle is crushed, sorted, transported, melted and "recycled" the amount of emissions created is about the same. So in reality, if you think about it, driving an old car is better for the environment.

While we're on the subject, here's a bit of a gripe I have - tire and battery recycling fees. You pay them when you buy new tires and batteries, but then when you want to get rid of old tires and batteries, they charge you for taking them.

And to your point @Rustbin, I am careful of my intake. I don't just buy stuff or bring stuff home anymore.

Another side of this is that as consumers, it's our job to buy, buy, buy. Planned obsolescence isn't just a dirty word anymore. It's doctrine for manufacturers. The entertainment system in my shop is an example of how when one item goes out, you are forced to buy all new equipment. I had to buy a new TV last fall, after my other one blew up (from a power surge) and guess what? New electronics don't have the same wire connections as older equipment. I was able to hook it up to my 1990's sound system, but it's quirky at best. And now I need to buy a DVD player with HDMI port, because I this TV won't accept component cables. Not even with an HDMI to component adapter. For those who are wondering, yes, I still watch DVDs. I am a massive movie fanatic and I have over 3000 DVDs in the shop office.

Apologies for the rant, but you hit on a subject about which I have strong feelings.

• Like 4
On 1/11/2024 at 12:47 PM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

And to your point @Rustbin, I am careful of my intake. I don't just buy stuff or bring stuff home anymore.

Another side of this is that as consumers, it's our job to buy, buy, buy. Planned obsolescence isn't just a dirty word anymore. It's doctrine for manufacturers. The entertainment system in my shop is an example of how when one item goes out, you are forced to buy all new equipment. I had to buy a new TV last fall, after my other one blew up (from a power surge) and guess what? New electronics don't have the same wire connections as older equipment. I was able to hook it up to my 1990's sound system, but it's quirky at best. And now I need to buy a DVD player with HDMI port, because I this TV won't accept component cables. Not even with an HDMI to component adapter. For those who are wondering, yes, I still watch DVDs. I am a massive movie fanatic and I have over 3000 DVDs in the shop office.

Apologies for the rant, but you hit on a subject about which I have strong feelings.

Its outdated when it hits the shelf.  Its rarely fixable.  And it wont last.  We drink a lot of coffee here at the house.  We have killed 5 coffee makers in 8 years.  They were name brand makers.  Im not sure if I feel into a trap but this last one I spent 80 bux on which to me is an absurd amount of money for a drip coffee maker.  This one is supposed to last.  We shall see.

• Like 2

30 years ago I bought a Braun $80 coffee drip machine. It lasted less than 6 months. Clock stopped working so no presetting for morning coffee everything was then manual. My $20 Black and Decker was brought out of retirement and kept going. Fuck all Kureg and the like. I make mine with a press and I make it as strong as I like and can use what ever cheap shit is out there.

• Like 3

I have a beef with the audio stuff too.  Still using most of my Akai equipment from the 90's.  Had to deal with workarounds on the cables.  Since they removed the individual component outputs and went to HDMI on everything, it's more difficult.

I'm with Datzenmike when it comes to using the french press, though I am fussier about the beans. I have been looking for a new amp for my old stereo component system, with RCA plugs for the turn table and cd player, that can push my speakers. Unfortunately I wore out my cassette tapes in my cheap car stereo  years ago so there was little reason the fix the component tape player when that plastic door part broke.

On 1/11/2024 at 9:47 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

No apology needed, I was hoping I wasn't the only one feeling strongly about this. The recycling schemes and planned obsolescence seem to be working hand in hand to keep people running in their hamster wheel job, and the economy growing. I feel that every new thing that I don't buy and everything I fix and keep using is an act of rebellion, that keeps money in my pocket.

• Like 2

I just have found that the press extracts more from the bean than a drip. It's faster and makes just enough with no leftover. I treated myself to a pound of beans (christ what a price!!!) and ground it myself and for all the work and snobbery, it wasn't that much different. Proving that my pallet is simply not refined enough. Maybe once a week I chuck in some chicory. Maybe that's the secret to life. Don't become too refined or you'll never be satisfied with simple pleasures.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

I just have found that the press extracts more from the bean than a drip. It's faster and makes just enough with no leftover. I treated myself to a pound of beans (christ what a price!!!) and ground it myself and for all the work and snobbery, it wasn't that much different. Proving that my pallet is simply not refined enough. Maybe once a week I chuck in some chicory. Maybe that's the secret to life. Don't become too refined or you'll never be satisfied with simple pleasures.

So that's my problem, I thought I was just fussy. I'm the same with food too but since I can't afford fancy restaurants, I learned to cook for myself. It bothers me to pay for a meal that is worse than what I can make at home. 

Keurig is an abomination in terms of recycling. Even the inventor was interviewed issuing an aplogy to the environment.

And

12 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Don't become too refined or you'll never be satisfied with simple pleasures.

My latest mantra in the shop is - don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

12 hours ago, Rustbin said:

I feel that every new thing that I don't buy and everything I fix and keep using is an act of rebellion, that keeps money in my pocket.

You and I are much alike. My personal goal is that some day (in my lifetime so I can witness it) there will be a rebellion that resets how goods are designed and manufactured. There has to be other peopl out there like you and me. Maybe there are enough of us that the big companies will take notice.

• Like 2

I think that almost everything should be recycleable,or come in packages

that are.When I see those inflatable Christmas decorations that people put in their

front yards,I just think of how they're sure to end up in the landfill.I even save any

metal bits & old car parts that are unusable,& haul them to the scrap yard when I

have enough.

Question - What do you do with old shocks?I have the set from my truck sitting

in the garage,& not sure what to do with them.

Scrap metal. Always wondered if you could drill and tap holes at top and bottom, drain and refill with thicker hydraulic oil then plug them. I've replaced the thin stock oil in the original struts with thicker 20w oil and it firms them up nicely, but they come apart easily. Regular shocks are sealed when made but would be an interesting project.  

• Like 1

If I want to actually recycle stuff, like bring it to the local transfer station, it costs me so much goddam money that I reconsider going there. So it has a negative affect. Oh, and I can't recycle fluids at the county dump that's closer to me. I have to go to the dump of the county in which I live. Absolutely dumb.

Last time I went to the landfill with half a pickup bed load of junk it cost almost $40.

Metal recycling for me isn't realistic, as the closest scrap yard is over an hour away. Add to that the wear and tear on my truck and trailer, it's not cost effective to recycle steel for me. So what do I do? I use up as much of it as possible. I store odds and ends for future use. The stuff I do get rid of goes in the trash can. At what point is it worse for the environment to drive to and from the scrap yard than it is to recycle the materials?

• Like 1

I recycle aluminum cans and that's it. Every couple of months I turn the cans in and get about 60 bucks. The guys at work kind laugh at me for doing it but I've always liked free money. Once in awhile I get some stainless steel but it isn't worth much. The iron hand railings we take out of a house when we remodel a staircase get saved for a guy that picks up scrap once a week. How he makes any money on it at .03 cents a pound I don't know. Screw the plastic it's a pain in the ass. Waste Management can have it.

• Like 1

Having someone that comes and gets the scrap makes a huge difference. But there is an environmental cost to that as well.

A few years ago, I had a guy come by and get some scrap, a few batteries and a couple rear axle assemblies. Later that day, I saw him punching holes in the batteries and axle housings to drain them in the dirt behind our local grocery store.

I almost called the cops on him.

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports
  • Like 1

I checked the local recycling stats. I suspect that a lot of plastic is just shipped somewhere else and they simply check the box. It used to go to Europe and was thrown in an old open pit mine, but that's closed. Ask other than the recycling companies and it's about 9% get recycled. The problem is if it was for food it can't again be used for food. Another is that it gets turned into even less recyclable products like sandals in Bangladesh. Quickly is is reduced to garbage. Companies than make plastic products want virgin plastic pellets not recycled.

Paper and cardboard and tin cans.... that's about all that can be recycled. They will accept glass if YOU bring it in. Well fuck that shit. The rest is simply BULLSHIT. Someone is making money off the gullible public that think they are saving the environment. Locally they are planning some kind of automated pick up. If you put garbage in the recycling or recycling in the garbage you get three strikes and then they won't pick up your garbage. There will be garbage police watching! Unbelievable!

• Like 1

Had a metal recycling place about 5 miles away , depending on who was at gate that day might accept most anything,, that closed . Then like a year or so after than ,, the one about 9 miles away,  closed..  Now nearest one is kinda a pain cuz their very nit-picky as shit some days.. I think Same company owns two others but both are about 45 minutes away now. 
   One is very small so hard to use with youngest in tow.. other is VERY busy and homeless everywhere,, so weird to leave boys alone in truck to do cash-out . 

Now I throw in neighbors metal pile and his renter’s friends take it in if they need a couple bucks . Win-win 

speaking of recycling,,, anyone want this 77 710??  Before it gets recycled 

free 

like totally free 

grNeAhk.jpeg

a0VIao2.jpeg

Rear diff is spoken for but we have forklift and or tractor to get on trailer 

Hit me up 😂 

Edited by bananahamuck
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I checked the local recycling stats. I suspect that a lot of plastic is just shipped somewhere else and they simply check the box. It used to go to Europe and was thrown in an old open pit mine, but that's closed. Ask other than the recycling companies and it's about 9% get recycled. The problem is if it was for food it can't again be used for food. Another is that it gets turned into even less recyclable products like sandals in Bangladesh. Quickly is is reduced to garbage. Companies than make plastic products want virgin plastic pellets not recycled.

Paper and cardboard and tin cans.... that's about all that can be recycled. They will accept glass if YOU bring it in. Well fuck that shit. The rest is simply BULLSHIT. Someone is making money off the gullible public that think they are saving the environment. Locally they are planning some kind of automated pick up. If you put garbage in the recycling or recycling in the garbage you get three strikes and then they won't pick up your garbage. There will be garbage police watching! Unbelievable!

Aluminum can also be recycled. Or is that what you meant by "tin cans" ? 

• Like 1

Mike I was up in Canada on the east coast a couple of years ago and everyone's trash out in front of their houses were in clear plastic bags. No sneaking chopped up tires or whatever. Everyone's trash was clearly visible. 

Now when I am up in Maine the transfer stations are very expensive. The local rednecks solution is to dump their trash in the woods. I pay $2 a contractor bag to have trash picked up at my house. Local general store sells stickers to put on your bags. 

In Florida I get trash, recycling and yard waste picked up at the house but the bill is in your taxes.

• Like 2