New Project 620

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Test fitting the carpet kit. Some much excess material. Apparently it’s supposed to have extra material to “cut”. However cutting will remove the stitching at the edge of the trim. Not sure if that would compromise the carpets durability.  Also came with 2 flaps that extends under the seat. Not sure if it’s designed to go over the rails. 

IMG_7962.jpgIMG_7964.jpgIMG_7963.jpg

anyone have experience with these? Bought from Newark Auto

• Like 1

Cool, first it was carpet on the dash and vinyl on the floor, now you've switched it to vinyl on the dash and carpet on the floor. We used to just sew heel pads onto the carpet in the upholstery shop I first started at.  Using a heat gun to warm up the underside of the carpet helps get wrinkles out, fit lumps and corners, also a little bit of contact cement helps hold edges down to keep it in place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gonna be doing some tune up maintenance soon. Want to: 

-change oil (what do you recommend?) 

- oil filter

- spark plugs (need to know the gap)

-spark plug wires (want to get yellow)

- air filter

anything else? I have a small oil leak. Need to find the source. 

• Like 1

Back when the 620 was new the oil was high in ZDDP (over 1,000 PPM) an anti scuff additive. Today's engines are engineered differently and don't need it so since the mid '90s oil makers have been slowly reducing it and is around 600 PPM or less. I'm worried that the lower levels will allow wear on my valuable valve train so I use an oil with the original levels. I found that Shell Rotella T4 is 1,200 PPM and comes in 10w30 and 15w40. It's a diesel oil so it has more detergent than gas engine oils. Only thing I noticed was the oil darkens in a month or two because it's cleaning the engine. After several oil and filter changes this went away.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use fram oil filters. They are poorly made cardboard crap. WIX or NAPA Gold are still good. Always change with the oil.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use anything but NGK spark plugs and NEVER, NEVER, NEVER buy them off of Amazon. There are just too many counterfeits out there. BP6ES-11 gap 0.039"-0.043"

I recommend NGK plug wires. Don't know if they come in yellow. I like the blue ones. No one can see them anyway.

Set the valve lash. 0.010 " intake and 0.012" exhaust on a hot engine is best. 0.008" intake and 0.010" if on cold engine. Replace the valve cover gasket this is likely the source of the leak.

Two liters of 90w GL-4 gear oil for the transmission. Use the GL-4 to top up the steering box too.

A little over a liter of 90w GL-5 gear oil for the differential.

Drain and flush the cooling system. Use only a quality anti freeze in 50/50 mix and replace every 3 years.

I would flush out all the old brake fluid with DOT3.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Shell Rotella T4 is 1,200 PPM and comes in 10w30 and 15w40.

Set the valve lash. 0.010 " intake and 0.012" exhaust on a hot engine is best. 0.008" intake and 0.010" if on cold engine. Replace the valve cover gasket this is likely the source of the leak.

Two liters of 90w GL-4 gear oil for the transmission. Use the GL-4 to top up the steering box too.

A little over a liter of 90w GL-5 gear oil for the differential.

Drain and flush the cooling system. Use only a quality anti freeze in 50/50 mix and replace every 3 years.

I would flush out all the old brake fluid with DOT3.

What’s the difference between 10w30 and 15w40? Do you have a preference? How much oil do I need? 

you lost me at “valve lash”. Does this have to do with the valve cover gasket? Where do you recommend getting a gasket? 

Never done a transmission/differential oil change, cooling system or brakes. I’ll have to YouTube how to’s. I’ve only done engine oil and spark plugs. Lol 

Very hot climate maybe 15w40 and 10w30 for everything else. I used 15w40 because I didn't know there even was a 10w30, then switched. Thick oil doesn't lubricate properly on cold start up so a thinner oil can be used. If it never gets down to freezing the 15w40 could be used or if you only drive in the summer like I do. 10w30 is good to 0 F

Well the valve cover has to come off to get at the valves so it's a good time to change the valve cover gasket.

Yes watch you-tube first so you can know what to ask.

• Thanks 1