• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Nice.

There's a guy in SoCal that converts old stereos to bluetooth, but he also adds power and all kinds of modern ports on the back. This is the one I want for my Cherokee.

image.png.91c7be24c960237c1e63c842eae4825b.png

Oh really? Do you have his contact info? The guy that did my first one is in the UK

On 5/30/2023 at 3:22 PM, datzenmike said:

Replace the valve cover gasket

And don't over-torque the valvo cover - typically results with leakage due to over-zealous tightening. Take the few minutes to make sure the cover is restored flat around the cover bolts.

9 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

converts old stereos to bluetooth

That is cool. Used to know a radio tech that would do stuff like that.

Bonus is thieves will overlook old "basic" stereos or OMG cassette decks!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, EDM620 said:

And don't over-torque the valvo cover - typically results with leakage due to over-zealous tightening. Take the few minutes to make sure the cover is restored flat around the cover bolts.

Is there torque specs for the valve cover?

1 hour ago, EDM620 said:

That is cool. Used to know a radio tech that would do stuff like that.

Bonus is thieves will overlook old "basic" stereos or OMG cassette decks!

Exactly what I was thinking. Also hen I drive my truck I want it to feel like a Time Machine and travel back to 70’s/80’s. Hard to do so with the new flashy stereos. I even listen to time period music lol 

So…. Dropped my truck off at the upholstery shop to get my bench seat repaired and reupholstered. Also was going to get my headliner changed out. He said it would be 2 days. Come Thursday the guy says it should be done by Saturday. On Saturday I message him and he tells me Sunday. 😡 told him I needed the truck to pick up some furniture. He told me he was having “trouble with the headliner”. I meet him at the shop. And only half of the seat is done. The foam he used was not as firm. I was still sinking in my seat. I showed him an example of what I wanted and he went and did something completely different. He used a weird material. It seems tough but looks ugly and looks like it may collect a lot of dirt. He didn’t even touch the headliner. I feel like he rushed as much as he could before I picked it up. He saw I was pretty disappointed and started saying he wants to do my full carpet and build me cup holders. All this BS. I don’t think I want to take it back to him. His prices were less than half what everyone was charging. I suppose you get what you pay for after all. 

this was what I wanted. 
1E903C32-C6B3-4B3D-9361-3FC61FE57249.thumb.jpeg.5fb320ccc1f694348b42c03c51e33fa0.jpeg

This is what I picked up. 

IMG_8160.jpg

IMG_8161.jpg

IMG_8162.jpg

What you wanted was top stitched "french seam" leather with raised bolster. What you got was I think VW texture vinyl with piped edge and what looks like two different types of vinyl boarder. Leather is somewhat forgiving when sewing but may distort based on where in the hide you are cutting it from, the vinyl less so. In the first place I worked we regularly did custom automotive work, and making your desired seat cover would have taken four days but what you got was one days work. I don't have a idea of cost but automotive quality leather is sold by the square foot and vinyl by the lineal yard or meter. Shop rates differ. The seat foam should be high density but most of the support comes from the steel springs which can be replaced or repaired depending on condition. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to fix your seat but I hope this helps you understand what is required to get what you want.

Sometimes guys just need to get business and say yes to anything, I admit I did it a few times, that's why I stopped working on boats. Yes it's best make sure the upholsterer understands what you want done and get him to explain how they are going to do it. My customers always appreciated when I discussed in detail what I could do for them. You could get him to finish the back and run it or try to find a new upholsterer to make it what you want. If finances are no problem them leather is so much nicer in every way than vinyl. Good luck on the rest of your build.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Sort of discouraged from my upholstery experience. Looking to gain some motivation to start working on the truck again. Thinking about splurging on a cool new mod. What do ya’ll think? Datsun Z competition wheel, Carbon fiber Mirror or carbon fiber bumper? 

IMG_8271.jpeg

• Like 1