New Project 620

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 7/14/2023 at 12:44 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

The worst is the new thing with the reverse lights. They come on when people are sitting in their cars in parking lots.  So you think they are backing out, but they are really just checking their insta.

I think this is worse for other parts of the world, here in Aus the reverse lights are 99% white lights so only when engaged in reverse.

Love the smoothy and hubcap look.  I have some original 510's here I think will get done to suit some wheels for the 620.

How do you like the LED's for brightness?  I have replaced the outers with the same/similar, wasn't sure as haven't driven it yet if the high and low beam on the LED is around the right way.  I am wiring another light switch to run white or yellow halo's depening on the mood 🙂

Nice ute keep the updates coming.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, six2ohyea said:

How can I tell the stock wheels will clear the front brakes? Will they hit or simply not rotate? 

IMG_8427.thumb.jpeg.f1d8cf2f3bb0e6259e8d2c7a642eb12b.jpeg

I think you answered your own question.. if they hit, the wheel wont rotate....

In short I'm pretty the only disk brake setup that worked on stock rims was a setup that mikeklotz developed but is no longer making ...

I believe most require at least a 15 inch rim be used....

On 7/12/2023 at 10:12 PM, datzenmike said:

My pet peeve is

I push that peeve to specifically include those ioiots who think thier lights are on just because the dash is light up - those people are short the extra brain cell IMHO. Most new cars have an automatic setting, but you still have to turn the switch to that position... Just saying

The wheel centers are the most likely to hit the calipers. Most times, it's only as tiny amount of interference. I have a stack of laser cut aluminum and steel spacers that I use when I only need an 1/8" or so to clear the brakes. You almost never need longer wheels studs with such a thin spacer.

6 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

I think you answered your own question.. if they hit, the wheel wont rotate....

In short I'm pretty the only disk brake setup that worked on stock rims was a setup that mikeklotz developed but is no longer making ...

I believe most require at least a 15 inch rim be used....

23 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

The wheel centers are the most likely to hit the calipers. Most times, it's only as tiny amount of interference. I have a stack of laser cut aluminum and steel spacers that I use when I only need an 1/8" or so to clear the brakes. You almost never need longer wheels studs with such a thin spacer.

So I mounted the wheel. It’s a small gap. But no hitting or rubbing of the calipers. Should I drive it around? Btw these are stock breaks. 
IMG_8549.thumb.jpeg.8ec25ae4d8ab9afbf9769d9ad8b0c1e7.jpegIMG_8546.thumb.jpeg.d04e0d4a1c622e1dc14f34a010ca9bf4.jpeg

14 minutes ago, six2ohyea said:

So I mounted the wheel. It’s a small gap. But no hitting or rubbing of the calipers. Should I drive it around? Btw these are stock breaks. 
IMG_8549.thumb.jpeg.8ec25ae4d8ab9afbf9769d9ad8b0c1e7.jpegIMG_8546.thumb.jpeg.d04e0d4a1c622e1dc14f34a010ca9bf4.jpeg

Oh well that's different....

As long as they dont rub your fine...

Stock brakes and stock wheels you should be fine.... 

Edited by Crashtd420

620 disc brake rims went from 4 1/2" TO 5". Both were 14". These will also fit the much later 720 and D21 calipers. Looks like pre '77 drum rims being 1/4" narrower would clear. The '78-'79 rims had 6 large slots (for cooling?) than the earlier drum brakes

• Like 1
1 hour ago, EDM620 said:

The wrap is working out good. What's it like to do?

Thanks! Yea I like it a lot better and coming out well. Let’s just hope it holds up! 

I actually enjoy working with it. It’s oddly satisfying. Definitely a learning curve. Watching a lot of YouTube videos and getting extra material goes a long ways.

Lol yeah I’ve seen many hub caps fly off in my life time. 

Interestingly enough I have a stock spare wheel. (I assume it’s the Original as it has the bigger slots and hung underneath the bed) this one hits the brakes and rubs. Weird. 

IMG_8562.thumb.jpeg.2802dddd81cf34eee8f2523f225bf880.jpegIMG_8561.thumb.jpeg.b144713713dd26897dcd225284926af3.jpeg

On 7/21/2023 at 10:51 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

do you have a couple you want to sell? Lol