New Project 620

19 minutes ago, EDM620 said:

IMO the revised ride height is better, too low is useless unless you only drive around on pool tables and not real roads. Any body lean while cornering will have the fenders cutting into the rubber, nevermind speed bumps etc.

You think 2-2.5” is good? 

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Phew! As you go lower increase the spring rate. It will reduce suspension travel and the potential to bottom out. Leaf springs are easy, torsion bar choices are limited. Some good HD shocks also.  

…. How do you increase spring rate? 😅 also any recommendations on HD shocks? 

5 hours ago, datzenmike said:

You can change the springs or add a leaf. 720 4x4 springs are not only stiffer but they also have less arch which will also lower.

Torsion bars options are very limited.

Interesting… stock or aftermarket leaf springs? And what years of 720?

Edited by six2ohyea

I think a gasket rebuild kit will have that for a stock carb if still made

You getting stock rims!!!!!!!!!!thats great sell those one you have. I never got the rims past the fender look. But those tires still have lots of life left. Hate to so them go. but they just not right for the truck in my opinion.

I think stock rims and stock type tires youll be fine with the ride height you got.  I try not to hit huge bumps at 50mph. If theres a sign and says road contruction then slow down.  I would have onley went one tooth on the torsion bar then use the anchor bolt threads to a drivable desired height

As for the torsion bar. They made a stronger one sold thru motorsport. But havent bought from them in years if they still have any.

Lowereing a truck down on torsion I dont think it stiffens anything it just reposition the clocking of the bar thats it.

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
1 hour ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

I think a gasket rebuild kit will have that for a stock carb if still made

You getting stock rims!!!!!!!!!!thats great sell those one you have. I never got the rims past the fender look.

I think stock rims and stock type tires youll be fine with the ride height you got.  I try not to hit huge bumps at 50mph. If theres a sign and road contruction then slow down.

As for the torsion bar. They made a stronger one sold thru motorsport. But havent bought from them in years if they still have any.

Lowereing a truck down on torsion I dont think it stiffens anything it just reposition the clocking of the bar thats it.

I’ll have to look into the carb rebuild kit. 

Yeah I messed up when ordering these wheels and back spacing. Really don’t want to cut and add fenders. However finding the later stock rims have been challenging. Cause they only made them for years 78-79. 

The ride height settled way more than I thought. I’m now at ~1” in front. Have to readjust 🫠

do you know if the torsion bar affects Camber? 

14 hours ago, six2ohyea said:

IMG_8783.thumb.jpeg.92f3aecac441da54eec321d3669faaf8.jpeg

Nice stance and ride height but not with those tires and rims. I like the raked look. You could even go lower on the back to match the front if you don't plan carrying heavy loads.

All years of 720 had a 4x4 option.

45 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

it's missing a bolt at the bottom on that front cover....

good catch maybe all that is needed. Dont rebild it if you dont have to. To me a stock carb is a Jack in the box waiting to explode. I just go to Weber DGV but the stock carbs are nice and quiet and smooth if still good.

stock rims from any Datsun truck will fit that I know of. 1970 Datsun 521 on up

7 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Nice stance and ride height but not with those tires and rims. I like the raked look. You could even go lower on the back to match the front if you don't plan carrying heavy loads.

All years of 720 had a 4x4 option.

Yea just got 2/4 of the stock rims I’ll be powder coating and swapping out. I like the rake also. I’m thinking about lowering it more in he back. It’s def going to be used for house projects not necessarily a work truck. 

IMG_8810.thumb.jpeg.c72a4396599a38c8eef6ea807ae39191.jpeg

also found this truck at pick n pull but it’s 2 hours away. Thinking about picking the leaf springs. Not sure if I’ll have the time. 

IMG_8806.thumb.png.0c5cfe12909c9eb52c0db2a02fc26d49.png

• Like 1
6 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

good catch maybe all that is needed. Dont rebild it if you dont have to. To me a stock carb is a Jack in the box waiting to explode. I just go to Weber DGV but the stock carbs are nice and quiet and smooth if still good.

stock rims from any Datsun truck will fit that I know of. 1970 Datsun 521 on up

Have to pass smog unfortunately. Not sure if I can with a Weber. now trying to find a screw that fits will be challenging. Wonder if I can just buy a used carb off someone. 

Unfortunately the older stock rims don’t fit because I have disk brakes. I have a set that hit my calipers. Just bought 2 of the 620 78-79’ stock rims that are wider. 

IMG_8812.thumb.jpeg.e10899ba21fe3f516e1d69f3b94688b8.jpeg

left is newer and right is older 

• Like 1

I advise watching for an actual FSM (factor service manual) from Nissan. That Haynes is not even 1/2" thick and covers all 7 years (very poorly) and that includes the supplement in the back for the '78-'79. The FSM is almost 2" thick and covers only and all aspects of the '78 620 including the emissions and vacuum lines. Every year had differences and up grades and then there was the over all differences between California emissions and everywhere else.

image.jpeg.c8c0c195414b65d0123401e6a4bb5bf1.jpeg

Both connect to the altitude compensator inside the air filter housing and connect to the top front of the Californian carburetor.

image.jpeg.e91aec26e41a51e5fd186893476be17a.jpeg

The stretched hose from the snorkel goes to the underside and up into the air temperature sensor. The hose you are holding comes from the sensor and through the small hose down to a vacuum supply fitting on the intake. The other part of that Y metal tube without a hose goes to the charcoal canister. The remaining hose goes to the fuel shut off control valve on the driver's inner fender.

I think. 

• Like 2
On 8/5/2023 at 1:53 PM, six2ohyea said:

Also got a great deal on a Datsun Competition steering wheel replica. As much as I liked the look of the original steering wheel. This one is smaller and feels better. 

IMG_8839.thumb.jpeg.79e8969d5d3e329bdeb5436cdfdf8c48.jpeg

How much? And where did you find it? I see them on eBay all the time for around $400-$500.