New Project 620

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stoffregen is correct on both counts. Don't try to save them as they are spring steel and will be damaged during removal. Most hardware stores should have a few different sizes. Use a socket that fits the perimeter and just push the new one on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, datzenmike said:

It's no longer manufactured or used since '94

R12 is a major ozone depleater (ozone O3 is in the stratosphere and absorbs the intense UV-B from the sun) which is why it became banned.

I'm assuming the AC was a dealer installed item and not from the factory. Aftermarket kits were a big thing in the 70's & 80's as many cars didn't have factory AC or at least hadn't been shipped from the factory with. I worked as an installer for a couple years (air, cruise, stereo) and we could put AC into nearly anything, available space was usually the limiting factor.

I saw some claims that you can still buy R12 (no longer manufactured but cleaned and reclaimed) however switching to R134a is a better choice.

• Like 1

You really don't need to go through all those steps to convert to 134. Change the o-rings and install the R134 fitting and give it a shot. Yo should have a shop do the filling because it needs oil and the correct amount of refrigerant at the right pressure, but that is not expensive. Maybe a couple hundred bucks tops.

Here's that fitting - https://www.amazon.com/Retrofit-Fitting-Conversion-Conditioner-Refrigerant/dp/B07SZKY6R1

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Did you get that screw out yet?

Vice grips...

I did! 

22 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I have a shop up here that I use for all my A/C stuff. If you're willing to travel 100 miles, he does a lot of custom A/C work.

100 miles isn’t too bad. Where abouts?

7 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

You really don't need to go through all those steps to convert to 134. Change the o-rings and install the R134 fitting and give it a shot. Yo should have a shop do the filling because it needs oil and the correct amount of refrigerant at the right pressure, but that is not expensive. Maybe a couple hundred bucks tops.

Here's that fitting - https://www.amazon.com/Retrofit-Fitting-Conversion-Conditioner-Refrigerant/dp/B07SZKY6R1

These O- rings? Link: https://www.autozone.com/cooling-heating-and-climate-control/a-c-system-o-ring-gasket-kit/nissandatsun/620

13 hours ago, six2ohyea said:

I'm not 100% sure but I think you need a special lubricant/oil or something for the orings .. 

I got a bottle of something with the universal kit I used to add ac to my 521... 

• Like 1

It's essentially used as an installation aid to reduce friction and chances of damage to the o rings when installing.  The slightest nick can cause a leak.  Very essential in a production environment, maybe not so essential at home when doing just a few joints if you take your time.  

Typically it is the same as the lubricant used in the system for the compressor.

• Like 1