New Project 620

21 minutes ago, EDM620 said:

Remove as much rust as you can, wire wheel or whatever. Apply rust inhibitor/paint (POR15) and let dry very thorougly. Consider undercoating the bottom, same prep.

Have you checked the cowl for leaking? Attack that now while interior is stripped.

Do you mind explaining what cowl leak and how do I check? Thanks

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Check out my build, page 5 goes into the cowl leak point

IMG_7489a.jpg.e664eaa2fc5262c0da5bdc1d90

This point was the source of my rotted floors - windows were all good and hadn't leaked.

There is a drip channel in the design, but silt collects at the edge and then gets wet & stays wet.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, EDM620 said:

Check out my build, page 5 goes into the cowl leak point

IMG_7489a.jpg.e664eaa2fc5262c0da5bdc1d90

This point was the source of my rotted floors - windows were all good and hadn't leaked.

There is a drip channel in the design, but silt collects at the edge and then gets wet & stays wet.

No holes in the Cowls. Thank god

I wanna say z32 but I'm probably wrong

I would also suggest some rust converter, then wire wheel, then por 15 for the floors after getting that hole patched. Go to a body shop and see if they're willing to patch it for you if you don't have any friends who weld

You need to use a rust converter on those rusted spots. Even though you wire wheeled them there is still rust there and it will continue eating at the metal if you just spray paint over it. I've used this stuff before, it's cheep and sprays on easily. 

https://www.harborfreight.com/1025-oz-rust-reformer-spray-paint-67970.html

53 minutes ago, Z23T said:

You need to use a rust converter on those rusted spots. Even though you wire wheeled them there is still rust there and it will continue eating at the metal if you just spray paint over it. I've used this stuff before, it's cheep and sprays on easily. 

https://www.harborfreight.com/1025-oz-rust-reformer-spray-paint-67970.html

Does it matter if I do it before or after my patch weld? 

27 minutes ago, six2ohyea said:

Does it matter if I do it before or after my patch weld? 

Welding will burn the paint and he is gonna have to cut back to clean metal regardless.... 

Watch the prep of the new metal vs old.... some rust converter like por15 want you to use a metal etch if putting in on new clean metal other wise it may not stick....

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 1
On 5/9/2023 at 3:39 PM, six2ohyea said:

identify what calipers these are from

Somewhere on those you should find a manufacturer logo or better yet a part number, so you can search the web to identify. You'll need to know for sure as at some point you will need to get new pads anyway.

I've been out of town steadily the past week so unable to respond earlier. Looks like you've addressed the rust issue pretty well, the only sure fix is new steel, but at least what you've done will hold the rust at bay for a time.