1975 620 Longbed "Shelley"

Jskinny

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I actually do have an extra hood. Gotta clean it up a bit and see how it fits - the two rear corners are tweaked a bit from when it got blown back over the windshield. i like the hood i have on now since it's a bit worn and weathered and It matches the shell stickers and the wheels. although i do want to clean up and repaint the wheels since they'll fit with the disc brakes. Tbh i like the oem look of the wheels with the dog dishes (but also partially because I dont want to spend more on a new set just yet).

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Jskinny said:

I actually do have an extra hood. Gotta clean it up a bit and see how it fits - the two rear corners are tweaked a bit from when it got blown back over the windshield. i like the hood i have on now since it's a bit worn and weathered and It matches the shell stickers and the wheels. although i do want to clean up and repaint the wheels since they'll fit with the disc brakes. Tbh i like the oem look of the wheels with the dog dishes (but also partially because I dont want to spend more on a new set just yet).

If you can't make it work I aint using that black hood. Just in the loft. The weekend I got it I found my purple hood and haven't ran anything else on my yellow truck since

Quick update: taking things slow, but I've driven around a bit and man brakes feel way better when you install them correctly. As was expected, my JankTM  throttle linkage is falling apart. Good thing is I have an actual set coming in this week so we should be up and running soon.  

Got 90% of the parts for the disc conversion, a few more things are coming in tomorrow. I ended up getting a better master cylinder off a 280z as Mike suggested. 

A few things i'll be looking into next is the speedo and temp gauges - neither are working. The odo isn't rolling over either so i'm assuming the cable snapped or isn't spinning, hopefully jsut snapped. Haven't had a chance to look at the temp gauge yet and figure out what the situation there is. 

Is there a way to remove the speedo cable housing without taking the whole dash out? Could i unscrew the ribbed coupling or is it more involved since the new cable needs to be installed anyway?

UuNxZgu.jpg

Of the 3 screws on the dash towards the windshield, 2 are not budging and i dont want to strip them - they're at a weird angle where i can't get enough purchase without hitting the windshield. Maybe the instrument cluster can just be removed, but again I haven't had time to make it that far.

On 9/30/2022 at 1:44 AM, hobospyder said:

If you can't make it work I aint using that black hood. Just in the loft. The weekend I got it I found my purple hood and haven't ran anything else on my yellow truck since

Cool, I'll keep it in mind. Mostly I'm just trying to focus on mechanical stuff until it's relatively reliable. My coworker's already suggesting we put ITBs on a KA or something... 

One thing i'd like to get is a nicer set of wheels, but first things first.

1O8bIY6.jpg

There's room to place a spacer or washers to move the thinner one outward to the right. I think some carburetors actually have spacers.

The cable is totally adjustable by loosening the nut on the other side and moving the throttle cable towards the carburetor.

oJ2inCC.jpg

UuNxZgu.jpg

Pull all the speedometer slack up into the engine compartment. You might have to unclip? the cable from the body under the truck. Now unfasten the instrument cluster and pull towards the steering wheel pulling the slack into the cab. It's hard but you should be able to reach up and unscrew the cable now to release the cluster. Around '80 speedometer cables just pushed on with a click. Pinch the lever to disengage them.

Slightly off-topic, but speaking of Datsuns and screwdrivers, I purchased some JIS versions a few years ago, two different sizes.  The Vessel brand like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Vessel-Megadora-900-Screwdriver-Original/dp/B000TG8OTY?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=AP6E4D3HTEWA

Best purchase ever for working on Japanese cars!  They handle removing the old stuck screws so much better than a straight Phillips tip.  I should get more because I don't have a shorty version.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, iceman510 said:

Slightly off-topic, but speaking of Datsuns and screwdrivers, I purchased some JIS versions a few years ago, two different sizes.  The Vessel brand like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Vessel-Megadora-900-Screwdriver-Original/dp/B000TG8OTY?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=AP6E4D3HTEWA

Best purchase ever for working on Japanese cars!  They handle removing the old stuck screws so much better than a straight Phillips tip.  I should get more because I don't have a shorty version.

Agreed.  I bought a set.  I have yet to strip one out yet.  It even pulled out some that I had boogered up and gave up.  Backed them right out.

Thanks for the recommendations guys, i'll have to pick up a JIS set. 

Got the new throttle cable braket installed and working. took it for a drive and the pedal is nice and smooth. I went with the universal kit, but i do have the arm i want somewhere a few comments back on order. should be here late november... coming from Prague.

before:

tchEQnB.jpg

after:

NmReUTi.jpg

Also, figured out why my temp sensor isn't reading... i think.. the yellow wire to the far left is attached (barely, i need to clean the contacts) but im not sure where it goes from there. Haven't taken the tape off yet but it looks like it either makes a 180 bend where the 3 red,yellow,blue wires are, and each of those are taped off for some reason. or it goes back to the cylindrical obejct on the right where there are 4 wires. Not sure what to google for that - you guys would know, I'd assume?

izoxurx.jpg

Again, taking it slow and working on her as i get time. I'll have an opportunity to do pickup truck things later this month, so hopefully everything stays working (or starts working) until then.

Im not getting this.

get the cable puller tyep like Mike posted. But what Mike posted is 180s off it needs to be up side and Bam it looks professional

adjust the threads on the cable to get the length right and your done and looks professional

the pc you need is in this kit. as one mike has in his photo

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255428784793?hash=item3b78bdf299:g:fLoAAOSwC-ZiKi9O&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoMRtenKB7ArXSL4fe0oczXVFleZXCXaAw%2FuEifvfdRAAXz86nSXq9UmX7jlIreTsbSATwyomW2CRxJ45VUyWXb9C5oXD3OgFS88qAkyFBsTeTOaA05nUT7B0CNJ51mozXSyRuZXe0vyzbkkzGeD8xORvoNeI8%2BzrA9TZzpmOdeA22L4m2CWPLkwj29iesPICd1A%2B9ZJYO0%2FP1uaja9z%2BLdE%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5aAnMr5YA

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
12 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

get the cable puller tyep like Mike posted. But what Mike posted is 180s off it needs to be up side and Bam it looks professional

Yeah i have a puller arm that's pretty much the same thing in the mail. For now what i have on is working well and won't cause any damage to the cable. 

10 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

The linkage piece off the stock Hitachi carb can fit a Weber DGV. Or you can get one from Pierce Manifolds.

I don't have the original, so id have to order something anyway. the scrap yards near me are pretty sparse on the cars that would have a carb to begin with.  

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Beer Snob said:

215u6oA.jpgFor all of those whose blood boil at the sight of horrible throttle linkage solutions!! Have no fear, it's just to get in and out of the shop. Yes, it fouls. And yes I know it will eventually break the housing on the water choke! Haha! Peace!🍻 

Better than a coat hanger poking through the dash.

• Like 1
  • Jskinny changed the title to 1975 620 Longbed "Shelley"