1975 620 Longbed "Shelley"

Jskinny

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Picked up a new accessory - a Glasstite canopy from.... a while ago. It's definitely a different look, but for what it is, it will work great. 

dCDVrvUl.jpg

I have to transport some audio equipment this weekend and with the incoming rain this will be a huge peace of mind. Just have to get some bolts to attach it more securely. It took a while to figure out how to mount it but in the end i've decided to drill a hole in each corner of the bed rim and bolt it on. Part of me feels bad drilling directly into the truck itself, but there are already a few holes from when the previous owner had a toolbox. Any recommendations on gasket material?

Went over to Port Townsend to grab it, barely made the ferry both times.

EYQTAY3.jpg

Py53ZBo.jpg

I like this angle:

dkCJ4zZ.jpg

hag3EgG.jpg

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, hobospyder said:

i don't know how you would do that

canopy flange go inboard

bed flange go outboard

Yeah i was trying to figure out how that would work with the reverse bed profile. In theory you could make it work with a custom S profile clamp or a combination of C clamps. 

• 2 weeks later...

Drove to Monroe last weekend, and my truck did pretty well. Sounds like I'll need a new clutch soon though, it's starting to make a whining noise when I let the clutch out, mostly on the downshifts. Problem is I dont have a great spot to do in depth work as the weather is getting much wetter, and colder. So it will probably have to wait like the brake conversion until better weather. 

I'm dealing with a few leaks into the cab- I think I've narrowed it down to under the shroud around the wipers has a pocket on either side, which water runs into and leaks into the cab. Its definitely not massive amounts but over time it will add up. Havent had time/weather cooperation to be able to get into it so for now she'll be under a big tarp, checking periodically to make sure things are fine. 

One thing I did notice is once it's mostly warmed up, and idling smoothly, if I give it some gas relatively abruptly, it hesitates a bit and theres a backfire but up front... could this be solved by tuning up the carb and/or checking timing? When I bought it it was backfiring a good amount on the downshifts, but eventually it went away and I haven't noticed it since. 

• Like 1

Clutches themselves don't whine but worn release bearing can any time the pedal is being pushed down or let up. Rev the engine in neutral and depress the clutch several times. Hear anything?

The wiper linkages are under the cowl and this is where the heater gets it's air supply from. On either side, barely visible, is a drain to rid it of rain water. It empties out behind the front fenders behind the plastic stone shields forward of the upper door hinge. I don't know why but Nissan made them just large enough that they collect pine needles and maple keys that sieve through the louver slots and this plugs them.

Another leak prone area is the window gasket. Hard to see where because the top of the dash hides it.

Could also be the holes in the A pillar for the antenna if on the right side.

Suddenly stabbing the gas from idle causes an extreme lean condition because the air can't get moving fast enough to produce a vacuum signal at the venturi and draw fuel in. All carburetors have an accelerator pump that mechanically squirts raw fuel in to richen the mixture and get through this transition from idle to running on the primary barrel. When the accelerator pump wears out you'll notice that when going around a corner in town in 2nd or 3rd when you step on the gas the truck stumbles and then recovers. Take the top off the air filter with the engine off and look in while pumping the throttle. You should see a strong spray of fuel into the primary. If engine is cold hole the choke open or you won't see it. 

• Like 1
On 11/8/2022 at 2:34 PM, datzenmike said:

Rev the engine in neutral and depress the clutch several times. Hear anything?

I tried that and didn't hear anything. It seems to be anytime I'm downshifting and letting the clutch out. My main concern is if it's something that should be addressed asap so something doesn't seize and/or blow up. Otherwise I'm hoping it can be put on the back burner until I have the means to do some in depth stuff, maybe until I manage to find a 5 speed. It would be nice for longer trips, gas mileage and noise.

On 11/8/2022 at 2:34 PM, datzenmike said:

The wiper linkages are under the cowl and this is where the heater gets it's air supply from. On either side, barely visible, is a drain to rid it of rain water. It empties out behind the front fenders behind the plastic stone shields forward of the upper door hinge. I don't know why but Nissan made them just large enough that they collect pine needles and maple keys that sieve through the louver slots and this plugs them.

Another leak prone area is the window gasket. Hard to see where because the top of the dash hides it.

Could also be the holes in the A pillar for the antenna if on the right side.

I realized I never posted photos of where the leaks are coming from - this is the passenger side footwell. You can kind of see the water trail above the black strip covering the wires. Water is coming in from the sheet metal seam on both sides:

Passenger side:

YHOwv7a.jpg

Driver side - it looks a bit worse and I'm hoping this won't be too bad...  i can hope right?

AZk55Lp.jpg

Basically looks like the sealer they used is just old and cracked - is there something specific that I should use for this? And a good method to go about this - this area is pretty hard to get to and I'm not sure if this gets into the bodywork side of things with cutting and rewelding sheet metal.. 

For those drains, wasn't exactly what i was expecting, but it looks like water should go out the rectangular cutouts - you can see it better on the passenger side. Both don't seem clogged much, but there is definitely some stuff (more on the pass side) i'll vacuum out when i have daylight. 

Driver's side

btuAln3.jpg

Pass side

slTiA2G.jpg

Well stop down shifting. It's not needed for slowing down. It's used when racing before entering a turn to be in the gear you want coming out of a turn. Slowing down is what brakes are for and they are a hell of a lot cheaper to replace.

Probably the counter shaft bearing. Make sure the transmission oil is topped up. GL-4 80/90w. Not much else you can do till it starts making constant noise. Does it growl in any gear when accelerating yet? If not just avoid down shifting for slowing down.

21 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Slowing down is what brakes are for and they are a hell of a lot cheaper to replace.

Y'know thats a good point, when i was learning manual i was told to downshift to help slow down, and didn't give it a second thought. After doing the brakes once, i'd definitely rather replace them more than transmission stuff.

5 hours ago, hobospyder said:

any interest in a dogleg 5 speed that's been partially underwater due to last years flood? pretty sure it's still in the corner

What's it out of? 

77-'79 S10 200sx has them for the standard transmission and optional on the '79 2dr. hatchback A10 HL510.

Also on the '80- A10 HL510 (all models) in Z series flavor and on the '77- B210 in A series flavor.

Adequate for an L20B/Z20 but not a Z car

• Jskinny changed the title to 1975 620 Longbed "Shelley"