Jskinny

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 hours ago, hobospyder said:

From me looking at the loose one you should have everything loose if you got the 3 screws in the gauge holes, wiper switch, lighter, radio and climate controls

Think you could post a photo of the back side of the bezel?

Under the heater controls were these connectors which needed to not be connected.

xMrbiMl.jpg

Also had to disconnect these 2 wires, circled below. I put this here so I can remember which goes to what.

FhjTM9j.jpeg

Almost out

AGfqfYi.jpg

And finally out

vsYnnAi.jpg

bVYoPa2.jpg

So now I need to find this voltage regulator. It looks like theres just 4 screws holding the cluster into the bezel, so I'm a bit worried they'll crack the 45 year old plastic. Hopefully not but we will see.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

6 clips that hold the clear plastic cover on, take those off, then the black cover with the gauge labels on it will also come off.

GfgAGFs.jpg

D84xphl.jpg

Next I took the colored plastic pieces out, there was a bit of moisture inside each, which is what it sounds like is causing the temp gauge to become corroded and result in issues.

OAYKysD.jpg

Going to continue putting a bunch of photos in here since I haven't found much in depth/visual aids for this process.

Took the gauge off the cluster - just 4 nuts with lock washers on the back side of the circuit board.

O2N7nf6.jpg

9Dah3kW.jpg

I'm hoping the "white" wire coiled around the contact isn't supposed to be completely white - mine is brownish, which I assume is because the wire heats up?

sP43p5X.jpg

Got some super fine sandpaper and lightly pulled it through the contacts on both sides:

D1ehtyr.jpg

qhbtvg1.jpg

Is there a way to test if this worked without having to plug everything back into the truck? Maybe using a multimeter? I'd just hate to find out I didn't clean the contacts enough after everything is plugged in and almost back together.

And the fuel gauge just for good measure, just 2 nuts and lock washers to remove/install:

UWvAdY0.jpg

XQwASSN.jpg

And finally, here's what I was referencing to remove everything:

uF7iXd5.pngzp2rhCz.jpg

Also found some interesting gauge info here:

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Cluster_Gauge

Edit: going to add this thread/comment which took me a minute to find again:

Edited by Jskinny
added another link
On 3/1/2024 at 6:47 PM, datzenmike said:

I always forgot the cigar lighter.

Mine doesn't have a cigarette lighter, the manual choke is there. I would like to figure out how to put one in though. 

Well, I put the cluster back together and plugged the main 12-pin plug, and these 2 wires back in:

AG9CUlY.jpg

Hooked up the ignition wires, but now the fuel gauge doesn't move at all. There are a few wires not plugged in, so hopefully I'm just missing something, these are the wires I'm left with but neglected to mark connections before unplugging them:

I believe this is just to the heater - one yellow/red and one solid yellow. Not sure which goes on which tab on the heater box:

T2lE1Uz.jpg

I'm assuming the 2 green wires in this photo between the 2 plugs are supposed to go together? but I'm not sure what they are - the harness hanging down goes to the hazard switch.

Xf2fwcE.jpgIOL1DS3.jpg

I think these are to the brake light switch? Black wires on the right go to the brake pedal, and the two wires on the left are green/yellow.

eedg9pa.jpg

Not sure about these ones - yellow/green stripe and I believe solid blue...

y2xEVQM.jpg

Wiring/electronics have always been a bit intimidating for me, even with the relative simplicity of older vehicles. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I do have a Haynes manual I've been looking at but I get lost pretty quick in the wiring diagrams:

For 1975 USA models:

RMUZJHt.jpg

Looked at things a bit more. 

In this photo, the red highlights the brake switch (both wires are the same on both ends - solid blacks and green/yellow striped) so I don't think it matters which is which. I haven't tested lights and signals yet to see if the brake lights work.

I don't know what the plug in the blue circle goes to - not sure it was ever hooked up to anything to begin with...

The orange circle i'm not sure of either. When I plug the two green connectors in, and turn the ignition to on, it sounds like a flasher or hazard is blinking, but the actual hazard switch at the bottom of this photo doesn't have an effect on it. Are the two orange circled connectors supposed to be connected to something else?

fq1qclE.jpeg

On this one, I'm not remembering what the blue and yellow/green stripe wire are for, or where they go/come from.

22xsbUP.jpg

Also, there was 2 yellow wires that I assume connect back to these tabs on the heater assembly - I read on another thread that it doesn't matter which of the yellow ones goes where? At the moment, the black and Blue/white stripe wires are not connected to anything, and I'm assuming this is why the heater/fan doesn't come on?

N7lJqOz.jpg

Now since the fuel gauge doesn't read at all now (the needle used to move up a bit when I turned the ignition to ON) I looked at the wires coming out of the temp and fuel gauges, and they both lead to the solid yellow and yellow/red stripe wires on the main 12 pin connector. (I highlighted those in purple) 

Any ideas on what could cause the fuel gauge to not read at all? I did the very light sanding on the contacts as has been mentioned a few times, and did a bit of light "wire wheel" (soft wheel in a dremel, so nothing too aggressive) on the areas around the bulb contacts since there was a bit of corrosion.

HaXhoMl.jpeg