The temptation is maddening 810, we are sick.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man like I haven't been trolling instagram all day for 810, bluebird, 200b, 180b photos. (Archetype Datsun has been torturing me all day and he doesn't even know it!   Unless he sees how many likes I have given his IG feed today.) Now you just make it worse. Or better...  Good thing it is an hour away and I don't own a trailer or have lights for my Murano hitch.

Maybe this is a good idea, keep making me love it so much I won't want to drive it in the winter, therefore I won't buy it, because the point is to have a 70s Datsun I would drive in the winter on the rare occasion I need a second car. And I don't know what other Datsun I would drive in winter. 510,210,610,710,F10,200sx,Z-car= nope. Even 810 coupe and wagon, I don't know if I would. But an 810 4-door sedan... just might. Maybe a 910 maxima or HL510.

The guy says he has two weeks to sell it... hopefully it will sell before I get brave enough to mention it to the wife... and if it doesn't, I bet it will be pretty affordable towards the end! LOL!

My 14 yr old daughter wants me to get a Kia Soul for her to inherit, which is a way more practical choice, lol. Takes after her mother that way.

Put your money into the 59 or the 510s, get them running/driving, there isn't a more satisfying feeling than having all your Datsuns running and driving even if they are not fixed up, starting, going forward and backward and stopping under its own power feels real good when they all do that.

A voice of reason! Thanks Wayno!

Bottom line for my NEEDS of another car, (at least in my current state of mind), if it isn't running, driving, stopping, I probably shouldn't bring it in the driveway. Too many questionmarks could mean a $5 fuel filter, or another non-runner just hanging around. And even though I dig it, in the case of an 810 4-door it would be way down the priority list.

In other news, after almost a year since buying it, I am hoping to get in my cousin's shop where my 73 is, and start working on it over Christmas!

• Like 2

I would have been much more motivated if it were a 2-door. Or even a wagon. But in the end I am looking for something I will drive in the winter, if I feel too precious about it, I won't and it will defeat the purpose. I would have wintered this one, but a 2-door or wagon, I would have felt worse about.

But I love weird cars. I have about 3k to spend, would like something pre 2002 so I don't have to have an emissions test, and I am so bored by all the offerings in that range.

Almost jumped on one of these today! But sadly found out it was 2wd vs 4wd. Suzuki X90. Such a weird yet capable car. There are tons of vids of folks plowing through a foot of snow and doing real off-roading with them. I am kinda getting obsessed. Would be the ultimate weird winter car, that I wouldn't feel bad driving on our snowy roads.

86626191997-suzuki-x-90-8.jpg

• Like 1

I loved my Suzuki Swift Gti! But wished it wasn't FWD. Turns out all of the x-90 Suzuki's are either 4WD or 2WD. I was tempted my the 2WD X90 but after watching tons of vid on the 4WD versions, I think I want one. There is one a few hours from me that has been given the treatment for $1200. Needs more work though by the sounds of things. And another 5 hrs away that is stock 4WD, but needs a windshield for $2750.

Trying to get more info on both,

$1200

00k0k_43N5Lwp8KTd_600x450.jpg

$2750

00G0G_ky2wKZZUjVy_600x450.jpg

Fisch 810s are cool and fun to drive very suttle but can be decently quick and nice to drive fast. I own 5 datsuns and I'm already starting to think i should sell some but its tough. Right now I'm driving my 84 maxima to and from work as i just bought the car back after i sold it 10 months ago. My 200sx needs a radiator, my 810 has problems i have yet to touch since march, my 521 still been sitting since i brought it home, and my 620 is my hauler. If i was you I'd put time and money into what you already have.

Fisch 810s are cool and fun to drive very suttle but can be decently quick and nice to drive fast. I own 5 datsuns and I'm already starting to think i should sell some but its tough. Right now I'm driving my 84 maxima to and from work as i just bought the car back after i sold it 10 months ago. My 200sx needs a radiator, my 810 has problems i have yet to touch since march, my 521 still been sitting since i brought it home, and my 620 is my hauler. If i was you I'd put time and money into what you already have.

That is where my thinking is now, and thankfully this sold so I am no longer tempted,lol. I want something small, AWD, and interesting. There aren;t a whole lot of options out there that don't bore the pants of a Datsun guy. Currently thinking Suzuki, $ammie, tracker/sidekick, x90, or even for more modern thinking, and newer all around, the Suzuki SX4 is tugging at me. Too bad suzuki left the country. Could make parts tough. But again I am just wanting this as a cool winter beater.  Maybe I have something for orphan brands....

Buy something that bores you. If you like it, you will want to play with it. If it bores you, you will leave it alone and play with your toys. I daily drive a 96 pathfinder right now. It's a great vehicle, has been very dependable, but I find it utterly uninspiring.

I keep looking at replacing with a Grand Wagoneer, which I love, but my buddies keep pointing out that it will distract me from the stuff I am already doing, like building my 510. They are right, and I hate then for it :).

• Like 1

I love it, only Datsun heads would be like "Buy something that bores you!" Which is fighting our instincts, because we drive far from boring cars. But is so true.

Whatever we do, we shouldn't buy something that is more fun and reliable than our Datsuns.

I am in the same boat right now. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. I bought a BMW recently because it was always a dream to own and drive it, and I absolutely love it. But, I'll be listing it and my Z for sale soon. I'd rather focus on my 510's... and you know the rest of life.

• Like 1

I will check out the Jeeps, but more and more I am thinking about the SX4 suzuki. My want list is AWD and airbags. (Daughter will prob drive this when 16.)  And it is a little more utilitarian that my datsuns so it won't be a sports car.

suzuki-sx4-sz-l-2_1600x0w.jpg

Maybe with a small lift kit...

sx4-4.JPG

Mmmm and maybe a light bar and beefie roof rack!

20b90d4fbe4ab48c67faaec904c46fc1.jpg

...oh wait, see what happened there? Things escalated pretty quick. But the same could happen with any car, right?

• Like 2