My 1971 521

d.p

I think his measurement is wrong on the head thickness......

DP I dont think you zeroed out your calipers before you measured.... if you go back and look at the pic you took while measuring the numbers on the caliper says your over 4-3/8 but the digital readout says your under 4 inches..

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ratsun is making it work without out being a Rich snob Knowing  everything by having someone else work on it.

I bet he tought the Hotsprk was some magic weapon and be better and actually went backwards maybe.

Noting wrong with cutting or moving the distributor soindal long as you know what your doing. Dats wanted it to be ezer to install compared to a chevy V8 distributor as it more Omnidircetional and having * plug might get more confusing. However Cheap Datsun guy only grab the dist and forget the mount at the junk yard then the shit don't line up right. Hotspark don't sell the timming plate or mount I believe is it like a Generic distributor that one should know how to line up.

If you take off the head. Check it out for cracks You could make this EZ and just bolt it on your L16 with the carbs set so you don't have to  change anything else. Figure out the carb linkage thru the fire wall and pedal. Im sure the thread thru the fire wall is SAE amd the 510 was metric

• Like 1

Yeah I zero'd it out but it must not have been at 0 when I did hence the wrong reading, thanks for catching that.   I went back and made sure it was at 0 and measured it again and came out to 4.217" so thats good.  

48330457537_1386723ff3_z.jpg

There are 2 marks on the dizzy "JPP" and a "2" so I think Hainz might be right that its that Chinese Hot spark, it also has the same white connecter as well.  

48330325311_8ffc3bc5b6_z.jpg

Hainz, the guy I bought it from is rich, but like I said he only owned the car for a month before having the shop drop an s2000 motor and 240sx drivetrain into it.  So he didn't do anything to the car, it was the guy BEFORE him who did all this.  

Also one of the nuts (not sure what its called?) has a big gash in it, what would cause that?

48330325356_5f73cdeeff_z.jpg

I am going to take the head off once it cools down around here then decide what to do from there.  I am also going to get the carbs rebuilt and cleaned up, rebello recommend a guy named Mike Malone, anyone heard of him?   I was told the best throttle setup for dual Mikunis is something similar to this:  http://www.arizonazcar.com/cableinstall.html .  

I need to figure out the choke as well as I dont have a cable and missing one of the cable locking screws.  

Edited by d.p
  • Like 2

Is HotSpark hotter spark though??? Unless you replace the coil with something that draws more current through it all you get is the loss of the points and all their constant gaping, setting, replacing and mechanical wear limitations. Does the HotSpark unit handle low impedance coils?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, datzenmike said:

Is HotSpark hotter spark though??? Unless you replace the coil with something that draws more current through it all you get is the loss of the points and all their constant gaping, setting, replacing and mechanical wear limitations. Does the HotSpark unit handle low impedance coils?

No fucking idea man, came with the engine but I don't have to use it.  I am fine using my current dizzy or buying a new one and the appropriate coil.  

• Like 1

I was just wondering if Hainz knew anything about them.

48330457537_1386723ff3_z.jpg

In theory that's 4.465cc removed from the stock combustion chamber. Now that's much better! That gives an 8.93 compression with everything else stock. 

• Like 1
Just now, datzenmike said:

I was just wondering if Hainz knew anything about them.

In theory that's 4.465cc removed from the stock combustion chamber. Now that's much better! That gives an 8.93 compression with everything else stock. 

Ah my bad.  Well the cam isn't stock, nor are the retainer caps so I am willing to bet the pistons aren't either but should know soon enough.  

• Like 2
Just now, datzenmike said:

Be sure to stand upright at least for as long as it was on it's side before plugging it in.

Yeah I know, its sitting outside upright right now while I wait for someone to help me get it inside. 

48330481471_2e583c5def_c.jpg

• Like 1

That JAM nut could have gotton damaged if a rocker arm pops off over the years or a screw driver popping one back on. No big deal its fine.

The valve retainers are the Nissan motor sports variety. They had bLue and black also for lash pad thickness.. They were made in America so somebody that makes valve train makes these. Like I said before YOUR retainer tops were cut so the lash pad is even with the retainer edge. Most stick up above but perfect its even with the edge.. your cam is most likely set up correctly.

Take photo of moto at TDC and note the cam sprocket hole used.   CAM HOLE IS AT 12OCLOCK OR ON SPROCKET 2 OCLOSK POSITION WIILL BE THE NUMBER.

Hot spark Distributor if it works I would run it.Im not a distributor guy that knows much about curving the dist.. A Chinese new might be better than a 200k wore out Japan Hitachi Dist pluss I hate points ingintion.

If it was me I would just install the motor. Getting the carbs outsourced and Checked it going to be a lot of money. The accell pump diaphrame coud be cracked but its a good chance it works OK.  Your already done in my book the rest is symantics and $$$$$$.  PS to that rich guy and others. Datsun are not all that Fast even with dual carbs a modern Mini van is going to beat your ass. The guy thought it was fast then was disappointed and put a modern motor in. Its  60s technology. Come on now.  Just be glad they are running. bUT CAN BE MADE TO BE FUNNER!!!!!

i DRIVE 45 /55 MAX AND STILL GET THUMBS up!!!!!!

• Like 2

Just updating this with block and head pics.  

Have a specific thread going in the Engine section: 

Front head gasket was completely MIA which explains why there was so much RTV on the top of the TC:

48375163632_d75d95f5e5_z.jpg

48375163777_859f9f3e61_z.jpg

48375163617_b9411a9ef2_z.jpg

48375163757_8bdcb29499_z.jpg

48375163727_805b017fb2_z.jpg

48375024196_81e422a050_z.jpg

48375024161_ecfb052a8c_z.jpg

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1

don't look to bad to me.

The front gasket being MIA is most like a fix when he took off Most like put ON the front cover and ripped the gasket. so he cut it and used RTV.. I did tthis also 1st time ripping the front of the HG when putting on the front cover with out lowering the oil pan.

Get a straight razor blade and scrape the gasket area.

also take notice of the head gasket and see how close the metal ring of the gasket on the bore see how close it is.  In L18/20s I would myself try to find a 87mm head gasket. I got mine from Datsport Australia. Durapro (Japan) graphite

Put Head gasket on and RUN it!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

Yes the Durapro. I GOT TO CK THE PART NUMBER AT hOME TO BE SURE. But Baz told me those are 87mm. I bought 10 back then for 25$ apc

as for the 88.5 it might be too wide. Stoffregen Motorsports  might be better to askon that one

looking into the block bore I see what looks like rings near the top?2 to 3 rings to be exact

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

The nismo one is only .060....

Others like from felpro are .047.....

So not much different.....

The bore size is the bigger thing you wanna be careful with..... 

Like the felpro is good if stock bore but not for one that's been bored oversize....

I'd probably just go for nismo one if it was me.... better quality.....

21 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

looking into the block bore I see what looks like rings near the top?2 to 3 rings to be exact

Not sure what you are asking here?  Marks left from the rings on the cylinder walls?   If that is what you are asking I can see them but can't feel them with my finger nail.   

Edited by d.p
17 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

Yes the Durapro. I GOT TO CK THE PART NUMBER AT hOME TO BE SURE. But Baz told me those are 87mm. I bought 10 back then for 25$ apc

as for the 88.5 it might be too wide. Stoffregen Motorsports  might be better to askon that one

So durapro is good quality?

Haven't actually heard of that brand....

I'm using a victor reinz on my L .... but I dont think they are big enough for the L20b....

DP you should try to take a quick measurement of the bore size just to be sure....