My 1971 521

d.p

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

I didn't up grade my lights to 'look cool' I did it to SEE at night.

I went through this a few years ago when I wanted to replace the foggy headlights in my 2003 Dodge ram 2500. OEM units were over $250 each, so I set my sights on replacement LED/HID combo lamps. Before I bought any, I read consumer reviews and even called around to a couple shops that install tons of these. None of the reviews or shops knew if they actually performed better than stock, but they all said they liked how they looked.

I don't really give a shit how they look, I just want to see better.

I did some of my own research and made a purchase. The new ones do light up the night.

Just goes to show where we are in terms of consumer expectations. People don't really care about how things fit or perform. They just want cheap stuff that looks rad. Manufacturers are glad to take the money and run.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All this talk about LEDs and it’s odd to me because the Datsun is my first car in a long time without LEDs or Xenons.  

Like I said I don’t drive my truck hardly at all at night so output isn’t a concern.  More concerned with having cool looking headlights which very few people have except for Ray.  At least that I am aware of. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I went through this a few years ago when I wanted to replace the foggy headlights in my 2003 Dodge ram 2500. OEM units were over $250 each, so I set my sights on replacement LED/HID combo lamps. Before I bought any, I read consumer reviews and even called around to a couple shops that install tons of these. None of the reviews or shops knew if they actually performed better than stock, but they all said they liked how they looked.

I don't really give a shit how they look, I just want to see better.

I did some of my own research and made a purchase. The new ones do light up the night.

Just goes to show where we are in terms of consumer expectations. People don't really care about how things fit or perform. They just want cheap stuff that looks rad. Manufacturers are glad to take the money and run.

Like those chumps with purple/magenta/pink HIDs. I assume it's for show and not that a higher Kelvin rating should be brighter or they should have X-ray projectors.  Just above or below about 5,000 Kelvin (natural sunlight) is what our eyes evolved to see best in. Colored light is less visible light.

• Like 2

I checked and some were 22 amp @ 14v 2,500 RPMs. So yeah were low and may have gone up later. I have a '74 610 FSM (the '73 610 pretty much was run off the same production line as the 510 ended in '73) and they are rated 50 and optional 60 amps. Most (if not all) Datsun cars were 50 amp. The '73 was an L18 but the '74 was the earliest produced L20B I can find, all others, 710, 620 were '75.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

I don’t know Crash, that looks just like my 60A 510 alternator and mine is externally regulated.

Yup I'm backwards.. looked at the wrong pic.. Just went out to my truck and had a look...  it would have S and L on the back if it was internally regulated...

F and N for the external....

• Like 1