My 1971 521

d.p

11 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

So much innuendo, so little time.

Oh baby talk dirty to me.

Anyways talked to Crash and going to try a small flat head screwdriver to work it in nice and slow.  

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Just get some lube on them, twist and turn them and work them in.... things like that are a pain in the ass.... the ones that go in the fenders for the hood are just as bad.... 

If real rubber, use vegetable oil. Anything petroleum will soften and dissolve rubber.

• Like 1

Welp bo luck on the one so I reached out to the seller on eBay who refunded me my $9.  Right now I got one 9/10 of the way in and the other 0/10.  

Seller sent me some brown English suggestion about a fishing pole which made no sense.  No way to turn them either because they are square along with the hole they go into. 

Going to try vegetable oil and a long pole to push them in. 

• Like 1

Another question, I am going to look an engine pulled from a 510, owner thinks it is an L20B and it has dual carbs but not sure what kind.  How can I confirm its an L20B?  

This is the parts pile I am going to check out...what are the chances they had dual carbs on an l16?

• Like 1

If owner thinks its a L20 then he wasnt into 510s that much not to know/care

those are Mikuni carbs and the short manifold. look like 40s with horns and aircleaner assembles I hope.

I had 40s on a L16, still do.

L20 will be on the block passenger side like yours that says L16

I think its worth it for the motor and carbs. Offer $300 then 350. The rest would be costing you to get rid of as maybe not to many 510 owners on east coast. All 510ers will need s half shaft

I would try to get it if near you to ck out

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

Owner had a local shop build his 510 but I think he bought the 510 already modded and doesn't seem to know much about what is on those pallets.   The shop that did the work is top notch and ripped everything out as you can see.   saw somewhere that L20 TC has 4 bolts vs 2 on a L16/18.   Also the vent pipe on the block has right angles vs straight out on the 16-18s.  

Its about 20 minutes away so I can get it if it makes sense, but I got no interest in anything l16.    '72 510s came with a L16 + 4 speed right?  Obviously some work done to this one as its got the dual mikunis and a black timing cover vs the stock silver so hopefully some other upgrades.  

• Like 1

if right 90deg out of crankcase can be a L18 also or a Late Jap crate motor  L16type as I had one. But all L20s had  the 90deg.

black timming cover don't mean anything

I think I would try to get it . as parts are harderto geton east coast. See what type of head as that goes on on L motors and maybe its a closed chamber

spare distributor, I hve gone threw 3 in my 25years. They wear out!!!

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1

It’s an l20b w/dual Mikunis and pertronix dizzy. Block is painted red so it’s been touched before, by how much I don’t know. Couldn’t discern what kind of head but I would assume it’s something decent.  No idea if I could use the tranny or how many gears it has.  Trying to find out and have pics will post them shortly.  

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1

Bought the engine for $100, didn't care for the transmission (4 speed) or anything else.  Getting the block/head/dizzy/mikunis/clutch+flywheel and the OEM radiator.  Not sure what else I should grab?  Lots of oil over the block between the head and block and around the front and TC.  Lots of RTV on the TC as well.   Also the vent tube is straight off the block but its still an L20B so not sure what that means if anything?  I got a line on some 720 4x4 leaf springs as well, can confirm they are the right ones? 

Pics here:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/149231725@N05/albums/72157709565713666

48252871141_077ef7e223_c.jpg

48252939577_0d43d2db65_c.jpg

48252871171_ccdf3271de_c.jpg

48252870961_c15be6e622_c.jpg

48252871041_958b869674_c.jpg

48252940152_9a2c75cf09_c.jpg

Also can someone confirm these are 720 4x4 springs?  

48252909476_10acceceb6_c.jpg

Edited by d.p
  • Like 3

Hell yeah it is.   I can take whatever else I want besides the wheels and tires.  Anyone got any idea what would be worth some $$$ if I did take it?  

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1

48252870961_c15be6e622_c.jpg

I'm going out on a limb and say this is from a '74 610. The 710 and 620 didn't get the L20B until '75 but the first year they were used was on the '74 610. A sort of transition year. I know that this year L20B also had the block vent tube come straight out of the block and it used the L16/18 four into two cast exhaust header still. That's most likely a 200mm PP and clutch as it comes from a car.

The head will almost certainly be an A87. Look between the #1 and #2 plugs down where the head meets the block. 

• Like 1