My 1971 521

d.p

You have to assume that the engine was put together with the proper piston to wall clearance. It's between one and two thousandths. About the thickness of a piece of paper. You also have to assume that there has to be some wear incurred and those clearances will be somewhat wider now. Most especially at the tops of the bore and less so at the bottom of travel. Also the bore will become out of round from side thrust forces. Maximum taper and out of round for an L20B between top and bottom readings is 0.0006". Six measurements need be taken. One in line with the piston pin about 1/2" down and one at 90 to this. Then another pair at 2" and another pair at 3". Bore out of round and taper will now be evident or not. Rings will have a hard time sealing an oval or tapered cylinder.

If you can afford it go to the next oversize bore and pistons. Oversize rings will cost no more than standard. Done right you will have a brand new engine with hundreds of thousands of driving miles in it.

• Like 2
  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Original bore was 85mm. It seems like your bore now is 86mm (muscle car guys would call this "forty over" meaning thousandths). You could go another twenty over and just make the bore 86.5mm. Typical intervals are 0.010" or 0.25mm. 

A quick search shows that 2mm over on an L block is about the limit. 

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 2
15 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Cast iron rings would be better for a 'hone and ring' job would it not? Chrome or molly for a re-bored block with exceptionally round, non taper bore with a perfect finish. I've used chrome rings on a 'hone and ring' rebuild and 15K later it was back to where it was before.

Hastings sprayed chrome rings are a cast ring, but the top ring is sprayed with a chrome-like substance (I don't know the exact coating).

14 hours ago, mainer311 said:

^-THIS. Except I would also get new pistons to be safe.

Also, if you can feel a ridge at the top of the bore, get yourself a ridge reamer and knock the ridge off before installing new rings and/or pistons.

I’ve always used cast iron rings.

This isn't a small block Chevy. Nissan pistons don't wear out like their contemporaries.

The block material was far better too, and most will never have a ridge at the top of the bore.

• Like 1

Some of my favorite L motors have been built using only new head gaskets, everything else used and in good shape. There's almost nothing to worry about with used parts. Bore a block and you have to worry about break-in. Old pistons with new rings and a "dingleberry" hone job...no worries.

Your machine shop can inspect the rings lands for you and possibly clean them too. If the ring lands are in good shape, with not too much wear and nothing broken, just re-use the pistons. If you want to measure the piston to wall clearance, anything up to about .0025"-.0028" is do-able.

• Like 1

Yeah I am pretty sure its 40 over as well.  I will talk to the shop and see what they recommend and/or can do for me.  I am fine with "Old pistons with new rings and a "dingleberry" hone job" so hopefully I can go that route.  While I wait to take it to the shop should I disassemble the head or just let them do it?   

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, d.p said:

Yeah I am pretty sure its 40 over as well.  I will talk to the shop and see what they recommend and/or can do for me.  I am fine with "Old pistons with new rings and a "dingleberry" hone job" so hopefully I can go that route.  While I wait to take it to the shop should I disassemble the head or just let them do it?   

I would at the very least get the cam out and the rockers and lash pads so you know they go back in the same location... let them do the rest.... 

Really up to you....  

• Like 1

they are there to make money They going to cut everything they can.

Ride up in a bicycle otherwise if they see a Audi or Mercedes hes going to charge you $$$$$$$ and act like they doing you a favor/Well its a old head ectt…..

also make sure the valve seats depth is all perfect otherwise you might need different size lash pads.  I seen ones sunk and others not thinking it a Chevy V8 type seat up and think you just adjust it out.

Im gonna tell you I told you so now.

a head gasket, Bam your done

oh get the Nissan side seals for the rear cap.

• Like 2

Ok, pull the cam, rockers and lash pads not necessarily in that order.  Leave the valves/springs/cam towers and everything else alone?  Will tell them not to cut the head unless they have to.  Get nissan seals for the rear cap?  those are the ones that go on the side right?  With the little needles?   Should I have them do anything with the crank?  

I am going to pull up in this my dude:

48001358897_e8fbbee861_z.jpg

• Like 1

Mag and polish the crank. Do not grind. Your bearings looked good, so the crank is obviously ok.

Are you going to buy mic's and bore gauges? Or are you going to plastigauge the bearing clearances?

.0018" - .0022" rod clearance

.002" - .003" main clearance (less than .003" is ideal for oil control)

When you get to that point, I can walk you through how to check and set the clearances.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Mag and polish the crank. Do not grind. Your bearings looked good, so the crank is obviously ok.

Are you going to buy mic's and bore gauges? Or are you going to plastigauge the bearing clearances?

.0018" - .0022" rod clearance

.002" - .003" main clearance (less than .003" is ideal for oil control)

When you get to that point, I can walk you through how to check and set the clearances.

Was planning on plastiguages because I read about in the book I bought.  Not sure what I would need mic and bore gauges for?  But I haven't really thought that far ahead either.  Figured I would cross that bridge when I come to it.  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, d.p said:

Was planning on plastiguages because I read about in the book I bought.  Not sure what I would need mic and bore gauges for?  But I haven't really thought that far ahead either.  Figured I would cross that bridge when I come to it.  

It's just another way to do it.....

Measurements vs a squished piece of plastic..... 

Micrometers and bore gauges would just be more accurate if you're good at using them..... 

Hopefully the machine shop you plan on using will help you out.... they can do the measuring and sizing then all you have to do is verify clearances and assemble... 

• Like 2

The machine shop will likely recommend a line hone and rod re-sizing, which I don't like to do unless it's needed. Again, the distinction here is need-vs-want. As Hainz said, machine shops want to cut everything they can (to make money).

If you ask them to set the bearing clearances, they will probably take that to mean you want the block line honed and the rods resized, so be specific. Check my clearances without any machining.

Plastigauge is fine, but not as accurate as mic's.

Again, I can walk you through how to make adjustments once you know the clearances.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Is there a trick to getting the rocker arms off?  I backed off the nuts all the way down but I can’t seem to compress the valve spring enough to get the rocker off.  

I tired using a screwdriver to compress the spring to no avail. 

I got them out with the head on some blocks.  But the #1 rocker has some gouge and wear.  Should I be concerned? 

48561483031_636b8a3aff_b.jpg

I pulled the cam shaft out. What else do I need to take off the head before taking it to the shop? 

I think rockauto had ITM branded ones for 15$ apc ck it out. That one you got is BAD. give them the head as pictured. Tell them if they cut the seats and valves every thing needs to be even across so you don't need to get new lash pads. Or hope not to as it still might change after being cut.

This 100$ is going to be 2000 soon enough but the rocker is bad

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4800036&cc=1212321&jsn=904  cant tell but look like the good ones.  can order on and see if says made in Japan. Then order 2 motor set  one for this motor and another spare set for your L16 if needed laster

PS look like there is cam tower shims already on there. Silver Seal has them if need more

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

What about the lash pads? Should I take them off? If so how? I got the rockers labeled in a box but want to make sure I put the lash pads with the right rockers.   

I’ll order some rocker arms.