My 1971 521

d.p

Yes, measuring the dimpled lash pads can be fun.

Replacing rockers doesn't mean you need to replace the lash pads, but as Hainz57 said, if they grind the valve seats, you may need to make adjustments anyway. Do you think the shop you chose is capable of setting up the rocker geometry?

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got the 510 alternator installed.  It’s tight but it’s snug against the bottom water inlet bolt.  Plenty of room on the fender side.   I was reading somewhere that 35amp alternators have black plastic on the back and the 50amp ones do not. Any truth to that??  

48690338306_8345cbc220_b.jpg

48690338291_b443781378_b.jpg

48690338296_96afc45286_b.jpg

• Like 1
On 9/4/2019 at 9:08 AM, d.p said:

Looking to order parts and am wondering if I need to replace all my rockers?  Almost all of them are missing some material, maybe 2 of them don't seem to have any damage.  

48677925096_6464ccd067_c.jpg

48677925101_b207128836_c.jpg

Run a good flat tappet oil with high ZDDP levels. These were run too long on the shit they sell today. 15w40 Shell Rotella T4 or Chevron Delo 400 is good enough.

On 9/2/2019 at 8:59 AM, datzenmike said:

Nissan switched to internally regulated alternators for all Datsuns for the '78 model year vehicles. That black plastic cover is (I think) used only on external regulated alternators.

• Like 1

Got my lighting harness and a little confused on how to make it work with the stupid headlights buried in sheet metal.  

This is what I have.  

Male plug needs to go into low bean harness but the thing is so short the only place I can get it connected is inside the headlight space. But if I do that there is no way to feed the harness in or out of it to the other headlights.  Anyone done this before or have any ideas? 

48693953568_0d794380f3_b.jpg

48693927838_e5efb3c64e_b.jpg

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1

Could I cut the passenger side low beam harness and re-wire it in the engine bay?  That would then allow me to plug the male harness in and mount the relays in the engine bay.  Then I would need to figure out how to feed the female harnesses behind the headlights.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, d.p said:

Could I cut the passenger side low beam harness and re-wire it in the engine bay?  That would then allow me to plug the male harness in and mount the relays in the engine bay.  Then I would need to figure out how to feed the female harnesses behind the headlights.  

You should be able to pull the stock ones right out there.... should be a grommet where the wires enter the headlight bucket....

• Like 1
1 minute ago, d.p said:

CooL....do you know to release these fuckers? If I could get them out and feed the wire through without the harness that would work.  

48694372001_4673746183_b.jpg

Usually a really small screw flat screwdriver or pin puller tool.... but you risk breaking the tab....

Just take the housing out it will be much easier unless the whole thing is rusted in there....

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, d.p said:

Housing is out but the only into in is from the top and the new harness won’t fit though the hole with the grommet removed. I think the only way is through the top. 

48694393571_8e12991d31_b.jpg

48694052713_62fe914a74_b.jpg

Well that's an issue if it physically wont fit through.....

To release the clip go from the back side, slide something if thin and flat and it should easily pull out..... use a flashlight and you should see what I mean...

Make sure you plug them back in correctly 

• Like 1

Hair pin with the plastic ends pulled off.

s-l225.jpg

They are very stiff and hard to bend. Push wire inwards to release the tang or barb on the plastic connector. Poke pin in from the front to hold the tang flat so the wire with connector can be pulled out to the rear without catching. Works like a charm.

• Like 2

I didn't get here fast enough.

I de pin the old connector and pull them out then pull them back . Take photos or labol them.  route the new harness thru the hole the same way by depinning them. All you need is the pass side outter lamp 3 prong as a trigger for the new harness..

I use a tweezer by inserting it (one side of tweezers and push the little clip down then pull out.

Looks like you have the 4 lite harness. Really the inners highs are fine already as they can go to 55-60 watt lamps already.

I just get the 2 lamp harness.

even after this it still might not work right as the 521 might by switchable power to trigger. My harness had a middle jumper I could swtch to get it right. My harness had ground wires to bolt to the frame. you is slightly different. So it made my harness switchbale POWER

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1

I got it all installed and it works without issue.  I used a small jewlery screw driver to pop the connectors out, run the wire through the hole and then put them back together.  Only shitty part is the male connector is too short.  Like 5" total so I have to run the one female passenger side oem connector outside the headlight bucket to connect it.  Going to see if dapper can send me an extension for that one so I can route it inside the bucket instead.  Because its so short the relays are just hanging loose cause I got no slack to mount them anywhere.  

Mine came with power to the battery  with an inline 30 AMP fuse and a ground, both of which are hooked up.   Red to battery and black to the body behind one of the relay screws.  The only thing that is no longer are the grommets because there was no way I was going to get the wires in through them.  Lots of extra wire  except where I need it which I guess is good but it doesn't allow for the cleanest of installs.  

Low and high both work, whether it makes a difference or not I have no fucking idea.  lol

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Holy shit! 13 posts in three hours on how to get a connector housing to fit through a hole.

Glad you got it figured out.

Were just talking about it man. If this was in person it would be the same thing. Bouncing ideas off each other. Sharing knowledge and tips. 

• Like 2