My 1971 521

d.p

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To cut stuff like that I rip a piece of wood to the thickness I want, drill the appropriate size hole through it, then stick the bushing through and cut flush with the appropriate tool. Haven't dealt with urethane but I could imagine a router, portaband, or table saw. Maybe a hot toaster wire? 😁

• Like 1

I cut one with a circular saw and it smoked like crazy and I probably should have been wearing a mask.  Plus the cut wasn't so straight but according to someone on here ( @datzenmike ) it shouldn't matter cause all they do is hold the bolt in place?  

Also I tried some new mirrors in the hopes of getting a passenger side one but no luck.  

521-mirrors-2.jpg

521-mirrors.jpg

3 minutes ago, mrbigtanker said:

will the vent window open ?

For sure man cause it pivots out towards the rear of the truck.  But it doesn’t matter cause the mirrors sit way too close to the door/window and almost impossible to see out of. 

really just need a passenger side round one which I have never seen since I’ve own this fucker.  

My pivots or whatever the fuck they’re called are worn so if I’m driving relatively fast the window closes on its own.  I just don’t drive it when it’s too hot out because it gets hot in there especially in traffic. 

• Like 1
On 5/19/2022 at 6:27 PM, d.p said:

For sure man cause it pivots out towards the rear of the truck.  But it doesn’t matter cause the mirrors sit way too close to the door/window and almost impossible to see out of. 

really just need a passenger side round one which I have never seen since I’ve own this fucker.  

I Doubt this helps you track one down BUT this just popped up on my insta feed and I instantly thought of your post:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd4ubtNJUvb/

Attached is the high-res version and it looks like he has the same mirrors but using them as fender mirrors -

283149690_1050563035544887_160394027230304500_n.jpg

maybe my google-fu will help?

* $140 for Genuine 510 fender mirrors that looks super close to yours from what I can tell: https://www.ebay.com/itm/143380122887

vs 

* Zcardepot repop for $25: https://zcardepot.com/collections/mirrors/products/mirror-exterior-chrome-right-left-240z-260z-280z-280zx-70-83

Edited by BrothersGarage

Thanks but those aren’t the same. Those have a single mounting bolt/nut in the middle whereas mine has two mounting holes and sheet metal screws. 

@thisismatt linked me to some on eBay that he thought were the same but ended up being fender mirrors.  

I’ve only see 2 of what I have.   The one that came on my truck and the NOS one I bought off fb.  

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1
On 5/23/2022 at 5:41 AM, d.p said:

Thanks but those aren’t the same. Those have a single mounting bolt/nut in the middle whereas mine has two mounting holes and sheet metal screws. 

@thisismatt linked me to some on eBay that he thought were the same but ended up being fender mirrors.  

I’ve only see 2 of what I have.   The one that came on my truck and the NOS one I bought off fb.  

So it should be a single bolt with a pin to center. 

On 5/22/2022 at 9:28 PM, BrothersGarage said:

I Doubt this helps you track one down BUT this just popped up on my insta feed and I instantly thought of your post:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd4ubtNJUvb/

Attached is the high-res version and it looks like he has the same mirrors but using them as fender mirrors -

283149690_1050563035544887_160394027230304500_n.jpg

maybe my google-fu will help?

* $140 for Genuine 510 fender mirrors that looks super close to yours from what I can tell: https://www.ebay.com/itm/143380122887

vs 

* Zcardepot repop for $25: https://zcardepot.com/collections/mirrors/products/mirror-exterior-chrome-right-left-240z-260z-280z-280zx-70-83

I have that fender and door trim.

• Like 1

Fixed my parking brake. I had flipped the main lever right by the trans/exhaust around when I swapped in the l20b and five speed because it real close to both.  I guess it didn’t matter with drums but with discs it wasn’t allow enough leverage to engage the parking brake.  I flipped it around and tightened up everything and the brake works fine. 

After I flipped it back to the stock position:

52101972242_732af1690d_b.jpg

I also installed that pan support and need a couple longer bolts on the back side as the thickness of the support made the bolts I was using a little too short. 

52101972252_96de3ba75c_b.jpg

52103247249_bc4fa418e9_b.jpg

• Like 5
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mainer311 said:

@d.p hey man, who did you get the rear brake brackets from?

Dude on facebook, Kiel Lippel.    

image.png.b84256ce8ddb5992ab144df43bd87c27.png

2 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

I'll add a question did that piece you added to the oil pan do what it was supposed to?

Idk, still have a really slow link from somewhere around there and Its either the pan/rear main or the trans leaking.  Never been able to figure out where its coming from  I guess until I figure out where its coming from I will never know if that piece helped or not.  To this point I have replaced the PAN gasket and installed that bracket and yet it still leaks ever so slightly.  

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, d.p said:

@Crashtd420 If you look at this pic  you can see oil on the slave, clear oil almost like new and its go to be coming from there or somewhere above it in that general area.  In front of the trans back of the pan area.  

52101972252_96de3ba75c_b.jpg

Mine suffers from the same thing, I have it about 99 % sealed but I still get a small drip also....