My 1971 521

d.p

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got a lot done today. Trans mounted new slave, adjusted and bled the clutch.  Got shifter installed but one of the brass seats was warped so have to order a new one.  Clutch seems to work ok, trans shifts but without it running or an drive shaft no real idea on how to test it all.  

It’s been so long since I adjusted the clutch and I think the push rod was always way too long.  I cut it and now the clutch goes almost to the floor which it never did before.  Is there a sweet spot for the push rod and the clutch? 

0108F445-773A-4595-BB47-69A6D2815553.jpeg

• Like 1

I measured centerline of u joints, slip yoke pushed in, then pulled out, but still engaged, then go to about middle of the two positions, but slightly forward of middle.

If you still have the driveshaft center bearing, the front driveshaft length does not change a lot, most slip is on the rear half of the driveshaft.

Just spit balling here cuz I mostly work on 1200's.....

The drive shaft should slide a bit into the transmission and give you room to remove. Maybe need a little PB blaster to soak in.

This is based on what I have done on 1200's. Really don't see anything else holding that in.

Have a catch bucket/ tray under the trans to catch fluid...don't ask me how I know this.

I got that but was thinking you were taking the drive shaft out of the trans also.

If that hasn't been separated from the diff in a couple decades, it can be a real bitch kitty

Yeah the front came out super easy. The rear at the diff was a bitch.  

anyone got a picture of steering column end without the wheel?  I took mine apart and don’t remember how it goes back together.  Specially the two piece spacer and rubber bumper/spacer.