My 1971 521

d.p

Feel your pain, did this on my 620 but the bearing was ok.

You only need a new bearing. The cap is put in place an hit in the center expanding it just like a core plug in a block. Rub a little RTV on the contact area.

48025-71200 is the front and rear worm gear bearing. If you can't locate one or its NLA, it is also used in the 610, 710 810, A10 HL510, S10 200sx, and the 620. If you can find one of these boxes you could strip one out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got that part number from carpartsmanual.com and called Nissan but its NLA.  I also emailed @mklotz70to see if he knows of an aftermarket bearing that could work.   Dont really have any access to spare gear boxes on this side of the country but maybe Crash or Ken have one.  

• Like 2

This may be it:  https://www.nzdatsunparts.co.nz/shop/datsun-521-620-720-utes/datsun-steering-box-worm-gear-bearing?gn=Datsun 521 620 720 Utes&gp=41

or this:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/183907413512?ul_noapp=true which says its fits a 1971 521.  $30 so worth a shot I guess. 

But no luck finding those part numbers anywhere but on that website.  Nothing on the one good bearing either.  

Search continues.  

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1
52 minutes ago, d.p said:

I got that part number from carpartsmanual.com and called Nissan but its NLA.  I also emailed @mklotz70to see if he knows of an aftermarket bearing that could work.   Dont really have any access to spare gear boxes on this side of the country but maybe Crash or Ken have one.  

I meant that someone here may have an old box laying around. That's a lot of vehicles to choose from. Maybe they would be nice enough to ship it or take the bearing out of one.

Posted a WTB here and I bought the one on Ebay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/183907413512?ul_noapp=true) that says its a 521.  

I figure soon enough I will end up with something that will work.  

Also does the race seat/stay inside the bottom of the gear box?  It looks like its stuck there and am wondering if I should punch it out or just leave it.  

Edited by d.p

50772160966_35af1d251d_c.jpg

Far left would be the inner race the outer is probably in the case. Pretty sure they should come out. You'll know by what shows up at your door. With the plug removed you can tap the old one out of the case and a gear puller should remove the inner one. Try to find a piece of brass for any hammering on the races.

Just now, Crashtd420 said:

Numbers dont lie..... I'd rather find the number on the bearing before ordering blindly.... even today the seal they wanted to sell me for my differential was wrong..... 

Agreed.   Just wish there was a place local in the US that could get these, everything I have found is international.  I can get 2 from 123bearings on the 31st for $80.  

• Like 1
Just now, Crashtd420 said:

Hey dp can you tell if the other bearing is the same?

Just curious for my notes....

Not sure because the top half of the top bearing is still in the base of the column.  Not sure how to pop that one out?  And one would think they would be identical but who the hell knows with these trucks.  

• Like 1
Just now, d.p said:

Not sure because the top half of the top bearing is still in the base of the column.  Not sure how to pop that one out?  And one would think they would be identical but who the hell knows with these trucks.  

Check the bearing to the part you removed.... cant you slide that off the column? Fit the top to the bottom....

3 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Check the bearing to the part you removed.... cant you slide that off the column? Fit the top to the bottom....

Yup all fits and looks identical.  In these pics the outer race is off the bottom bearing and the cage/balls off the top bearing. Inner race off the top (obviously). 

5FA4B661-DEFC-4FA3-A216-8F4146A68949.jpeg

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Hey dp can you tell if the other bearing is the same?

Just curious for my notes....

On 12/28/2020 at 12:01 PM, datzenmike said:

Feel your pain, did this on my 620 but the bearing was ok.

You only need a new bearing. The cap is put in place an hit in the center expanding it just like a core plug in a block. Rub a little RTV on the contact area.

48025-71200 is the front and rear worm gear bearing. If you can't locate one or its NLA, it is also used in the 610, 710 810, A10 HL510, S10 200sx, and the 620. If you can find one of these boxes you could strip one out.

1 hour ago, d.p said:

Does anyone know if you can still get a gasket and o-ring for the sector shaft where it meets the column?  I might as well replace it while I have this thing out.  

Just make one or RTV.

I don't see an O ring on the sector shaft but looks like one on the very front of the worm gear behind the plug that popped out.

1 minute ago, datzenmike said:

Just make one or RTV.

I don't see an O ring on the sector shaft but looks like one on the very front of the worm gear behind the plug that popped out.

I didn't see anything down at that end and not even sure where it would go because it goes worm gear > bearing > outer race > plug.  Where would an oring the size of 62mm x 2mm (according to carpartmanuals) even go down there?  I have one at the bottom of the column where it bolts to the gear box but it split and that measures roughly 62mm x 2mm. 

50776202693_5126c3f635_c.jpg

50777072517_851f0465fb_c.jpg

50776959786_135af8eda6_c.jpg

Ah I see now. The sector shaft is the part with the pitman arm on the end. You mean where the column and the worm gear meet and 3 bolts. I have a picture of that O ring but it isn't marked.

50776202693_5126c3f635_c.jpg

Rather than fuck around, measure or take the column in to NAPA or w/e and get an O ring that fits. The thing behind it is a shim and likely brass or copper and exactly why it needs an O ring. A shim is select fit to provide proper pre-load on the bearings and not intended to seal properly

I measured the width of that column where it seats in the box, the OD of the broken o’ring and along with carpartsmanual I believe a 62mm(ID) x 2mm will work.  I ordered that size from Amazon and will see if they work.