My 1971 521

d.p

The fill and the drain bungs are interchangeable and differential bungs will also fit. I like to collect the ones with the magnets and use two of them. You or someone will have an old diff or trans laying around you can get one out of.

De-grease the old one, smear a small amount of RTV around the edge, insert into place. Get a 1/2 " ratchet extension and hold against the center of the bulge, hit hard with a small sledge. The plug will expand and lock into place, the RTV is insurance, probably don't need it. This is what I did on my 620 box.

• Like 2
  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No ducking idea.  But I do know it’s mangled enough that it won’t even seat for me to hammer it.  Metal is super soft too.  

I thought I had it right with RTV but it leaked and now here I am.  

image.jpg

• Like 2
Just now, Charlie69 said:

Get a yoke from any Z car 280 back, any 720 truck even a 3 speed automatic yoke will work.  You are installing a 5 speed correct?

Yes but this is the steering box not the transmission.  

image.jpg

• Like 1

@mainer311 If I ever meet you in person I will buy you a beer. 

In the end best way to form it back was with a big socket, small freeze plug, smaller socket behind that, vice and some leverage.   I did have to smooth out the inside of where it seats in the gear box because someone prior to me drifted the sides in and that was making it almost impossible to seat it.    

50804154572_377599249a_c.jpg

50804043241_377599249a_c.jpg

It fits now but I didn't seal or hammer it home because I figured I would wait for the ones I ordered to show up to see what they look like.  I am also not sure how to best seal it, I did use RTV the first time on the back side but I didn't hammer it that hard, just got it seated and called it good but leaked right away.   I figure this time RTV, hammer, wait 24 hours and pray to the gods.  

50804043246_12735e1c93_c.jpg

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, mklotz70 said:

Hard to tell if it's fully seated at the top of the pic.

It should be but even if it isn't I can massage it a little more.  My fear is that its so mangled around the edges that it won't seal even with RTV.  

2 minutes ago, d.p said:

It should be but even if it isn't I can massage it a little more.  My fear is that its so mangled around the edges that it won't seal even with RTV.  

Are you trying to seal that outer cover?

I thought there was something else behind that that looked like a freeze plug.... wouldn't that be the part that seals it?

Just now, Crashtd420 said:

Are you trying to seal that outer cover?

I thought there was something else behind that that looked like a freeze plug.... wouldn't that be the part that seals it?

yeah and that is all that sits between the bottom bearing/race/worm gear.  Unless I am missing something?

50780791866_7436d9300e_c.jpg

2 minutes ago, d.p said:

yeah and that is all that sits between the bottom bearing/race/worm gear.  Unless I am missing something?

50780791866_7436d9300e_c.jpg

Ok , I thought you mentioned trying to fit a freeze plug.....

One thing I see in the picture are the hammer marks on the steering box....

Maybe clean those up so you have a nice round diameter to fit the cap....

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, d.p said:

I did clean them up with a brass punch and hammer but is there a better way?

That's where the cap was staked originally. File them off. If you want, after the cap is reinstalled, you can restake the edges with a pointed punch and large hammer. 

This is a gun part, but it gives you an idea:

Bcg ?? | Firearms Talk - The Community for Owners and Enthusiasts