d.p

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, d.p said:

Can someone tell me how to measure how much I need to shorten my driveshaft?  Like from where to where do I measure?

Stock 521 4 speed is just a c hair over 26" the 71B 4 and 5 speeds are 31.5" so the difference is just a c hair under 5.5" removed from the front drive shaft to allow it to fit.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Stock 521 4 speed is just a c hair over 26" the 71B 4 and 5 speeds are 31.5" so the difference is just a c hair under 5.5" removed from the front drive shaft to allow it to fit.

Thanks man,,any idea on the steering gear filler plug replacement?  Do these have a slit in the bottom to allow them to vent?  

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1

Same one is also used on the 620 box.

No need for venting the steering box does not get hot enough.

The one in my 710 is also rubbery too and fits 510/610/B210/210/A10/S10/S110 and 810.  I don't know why car ones are a different part number. Also a different number doesn't always mean it won't fit.

• Like 1

So a 510 gear plug will fit a 521? 

19 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Same one is also used on the 620 box.

No need for venting the steering box does not get hot enough.

The one in my 710 is also rubbery too and fits 510/610/B210/210/A10/S10/S110 and 810.  I don't know why car ones are a different part number. Also a different number doesn't always mean it won't fit.

• Like 1
Just now, d.p said:

Cant I just chase it without taking the plate off?  put some grease on the the tap to catch the shavings?  I thought I want supposed to do that because of the worm gear and putting it back together.  

Ya you can do that too.... 

You wont disturb the worm gear only the adjuster....

The grease would be easier....

You don't make a lot of chips...

• Like 3
Just now, datzenmike said:

D.P. I can't see any reason for a soft plug except that maybe it can't be tightened at all and doesn't seal that well and might act as a vent.

The bottom of my soft plug is cracked/split so I was just trying to replace it with something that isn't damaged.  

• Like 2

Original plugs were plastic that softened over time from being exposed to petroleum. (Kinda like the factory natural rubber ball joint boots.)

Factory roaster steering box plug is a straight metric thread. I suppose the truck could be BSPT, but I doubt it. The plug you posted above doesn’t look tapered to me.

If you find a replacement plug that works, and it’s plastic, I would only install it hand tight.

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 2
50 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

Original plugs were plastic that softened over time from being exposed to petroleum. (Kinda like the factory natural rubber ball joint boots.)

Factory roaster steering box plug is a straight metric thread. I suppose the truck could be BSPT, but I doubt it. The plug you posted above doesn’t look tapered to me.

If you find a replacement plug that works, and it’s plastic, I would only install it hand tight.

You're right it doesn't look tapered but again that 3/8" NTP only threads like 1 turn so I know its not 3/8" NPT and no one seems to know what size a 521 steering gear plug size is.  All I could find on the internet is for 510s and that is 3/8" BSPT.   Also when I was at ACE the stock plug threaded into a 1/2" compression nut with ease but there weren't any 1/2" NPT male plugs to be had. So maybe it is 1/2" NPT?  Will pick one up from HD tomorrow and find out.  

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1

Welp 1 foot forward 2 steps back. 

Fucked up my steering box when I originally tried to take out the column to replace the firewall grommet and mistakenly thought it came out through the cab.  I guess I dislodged the end bearing and when I put it back together that bearing got wedged in-between the worm gear and the end of the steering box.  When I turned the wheel it blew/pushed out out the cap on the bottom and mangled the shit out of the bearing.  Stupid mistake and now I need to figure out how to fix it?  I assume I need a new steering box and can replace the bearing?  If not I guess I need an entire column and box? 

50772275932_35fd85fb92_c.jpg

50772275962_c18bfe78af_c.jpg

50772160966_35af1d251d_c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1