Crashtd420

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, wayno said:

You tilt the carb more going up and down steep hills, is it affected then?

Its funny you say that... I just was doing some reading and they said the exact same thing.... 

As stated before I'll probably add a little more shim to the carrier bearing now and when I go and raise the front a little I wont bother worrying about correcting the carb angle.....

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

So a deal fell through, I was going to sell the 488 gear set out of my extra axle... well I ended with an empty axle housing....

20191124-105137.jpg

This somehow spawned the idea that I should do a 5 link and rear disks....

Well beebani offered up a deal so I jumped on the offer.....

3 link with the watts link, rear disk brake brackets and front coilover brackets....

This wont be getting done till next year as this pretty much used up all my spare cash for a bit and I will still need to source coilovers and all the new brake components, plus I have enough to keep me busy this winter.... this will also get me off my ass to finally clean up the bed ...

On a sad note I think the datsun will be parked till spring.... getting to that point up here in the northeast.... till to get to work so shes ready for the spring....

• Like 4
37 minutes ago, demo243 said:

I might be interested is that 4.88 gear set.... gotta get the truck driving first...

Hoping to reg it in the next two weeks or so

I'm surprised your not waiting till spring, but then again after all that work I would wanna drive it too....

Your more than welcome to the 488 gears I'm not trying to sell it so I'll have it ... I'll trade for yours if you have the 437.... I'd like a backup....

• Like 2

I leave mine registered and ready to go year round but anything around 40 is a cold ride in the morning..... I think with my doors seals installed the heater might perform a little better..  

Mostly it's the salt but lately the roads have been icy going to work so I wont risk it.....

• Like 1

I drove my 521 for 8 Ontario winters and it was cold. I patched the holes and carpeted the floor but the heater is just too small. I took the 10x10x2" core out of a house air conditioner boxed it in wood, put a car electric fan I found on an inner front fender so maybe a Ford from the 50's? and put it where the glove box was. Connected hoses to the defrost vents. Yeah that worked.

• Like 1

So how difficult is it to remove this piece from the tail housing?

20191124-113117.jpg

Helping out a fellow ratsun by selling him the tailhousing,  but I kind of want that shifter piece.... 

Debating on leaving it on since its in better shape than what the buyer currently has..... I dont really wanna mess it up either.... 

I am running the 71b 5spd now so I really dont need but I kept my old 4spd as backup.... 

This is off a spare parts 4 spd I bought before I realized I could use the 71b with a slight mod.....

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Looks like the striking rod is already out? Doesn't it just push out to the side?

Yes the striking rod is out and I assumed it would just fall off too.... it does not.... seems to be pivoting on a metal sleeve....

20191125-162731.jpg

20191125-162750.jpg

I'm trying to convince myself to just leave it on there.... problem is I broke that piece on my good 4spd... I did a solid repair but one of the only reason I bought that spare 4spd was that shifter piece.... 

But I'm running the 5spd now so why should this even matter....

• Like 1
On 11/25/2019 at 5:53 AM, datzenmike said:

I drove my 521 for 8 Ontario winters and it was cold. I patched the holes and carpeted the floor but the heater is just too small. I took the 10x10x2" core out of a house air conditioner boxed it in wood, put a car electric fan I found on an inner front fender so maybe a Ford from the 50's? and put it where the glove box was. Connected hoses to the defrost vents. Yeah that worked.

We used to take a 510 to Tahoe on skiing trips. Mostly just for the fun of snow drifting.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I wish I had more to report and or say, we have more snow coming  so instead of working on my datsun I had to fix my new used snow blower.... broke the damn thing first storm..... plastic piece that keeps the gear shifter in place broke so it jumped from reverse to forward under power and exploded the gear in the transmission.... bitch to get to but part was only $20..... all fixed and ready for tomorrow.....

I did manage to spend some time today on the datsun .  Measured current ride height.. going up 1/4 inch in the front... and next year it's getting coilovers so I wanted some baseline measurements anyhow... 

Then I was able to do the one quick job on the winter list....

Installed 4 upper bump stops in the front... 

20191216-165713.jpg

That's all I have.... 

• Like 1

I feel like this winter is going to be nuts with all the Datsun projects going on.

New water pump, head gasket (was leaking coolant again on Sunday), ARP studs, Offy manifold, and Weber for Davie (that's what my wife calls my truck). 

New Watanabe wheels/tires, and longer stud install for the roadster.

Do you remember what head gasket you used for your build?

• Like 1

I used a victor reinz head gasket, came in the gasket kit I bought... it had a .060 crush thickness versus the felpro a .047....

I needed that little extra clearance....

Most of my projects are kind of small....

But some will take some effort... 

Some things I might wait till next year for.... like my oil filter relocation.... I dont know what I was thinking but where I thought I could put it just wont work....

Hoping that when I convert the front to coilovers I can put it on the passenger frame rail where the tortion bars is.. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Try to get it so it unscrews downward and the oil doesn't spill.

Ya that's the current issue.... after I got the parts in I held it in place where I thought I was going to put it.... the first thing I said was how the hell am I going to change the oil filter like that....

• Like 1

I don't really got shit going on with mine this winter.   Still waiting on my engine to come back from the machine shop as well as my carbs from Taka @kyushahouse.   I figure once I get all that back I will spend my time this winter putting it all back together.  Still need to order some rockers and was going to order the NISMO chain tensioner as well so I never have to worry about it popping out again.

You guys seen this fucker?  http://datnissparts.com/nismo-l4-naps-z-chain-tensioner-l16-l18-l20b-z20-z22-z24-13070-n7120/

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, d.p said:

Thanks asshole. Now I have to add that to the list.

It looks like that website is currently down for some reason. Hmmm.

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, d.p said:

I don't really got shit going on with mine this winter.   Still waiting on my engine to come back from the machine shop as well as my carbs from Taka @kyushahouse.   I figure once I get all that back I will spend my time this winter putting it all back together.  Still need to order some rockers and was going to order the NISMO chain tensioner as well so I never have to worry about it popping out again.

You guys seen this fucker?  http://datnissparts.com/nismo-l4-naps-z-chain-tensioner-l16-l18-l20b-z20-z22-z24-13070-n7120/

That's atleast cheaper than that kamera chain tensioner setup.... 

I dont really see the need for that though.... once the rebuild is done how often will you be removing the head?

It only pops out if done wrong....

The only shitty part about pulling the front cover to reset the chain is having to drop the oil pan, but I would rather do it that way so I know everything is correct.... I dont like to assume....

• Like 1