Crashtd420

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, d.p said:

What is the benefit of a gasket that much thinker than a run of the mill fel pro?  

That particular material is made to crush up to 50% (from 1/8" down to 1/16") allowing for the sealing of imperfect surfaces and irregularities. From what I can tell, it looks like a bunch of loosely laminated graphite sheets. They're $37 on Amazon. I might give one a whirl when I put my Offy manifold on. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, d.p said:

What is the benefit of a gasket that much thinker than a run of the mill fel pro?  

Not really sure....

The reason I bought it was the supposed claim that the intake gaskets without the gasket material between 2 and 3 exhaust are not good for headers.... if this is true or not I couldnt tell you... I'll see what my current gasket tells me when i remove it...

This is the manufacturer's claim about the gasket I bought....

Screenshot-20200102-145537-e-Bay.jpg

Screenshot-20200102-145557-e-Bay.jpg

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

I cant remember what brand I'm actually using.... I do remember I had to retorque the nuts once...

Same here. My intake manifold coolant passages keep weeping.

Any idea what size the studs are? I'd like to change to studs all along the exhaust flange and just keep the 4 bolts at the top of the intake. 

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

Same here. My intake manifold coolant passages keep weeping.

Any idea what size the studs are? I'd like to change to studs all along the exhaust flange and just keep the 4 bolts at the top of the intake. 

Not for nothing and no idea if this is true but california datsuns lists OEM studs as stainless.  

https://www.californiadatsun.com/exhaust-system/datsun-intake-exhaust-manifold-studs-l16-l18-l20b.html

And per DanielC in another thread M8-1.25 but no mention of length.  Although I could measure the ones sitting right next to me but I am lazy.  

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

I believe zcardepot.com has studs and flange bolts ect…… I went with studs on the exhaust part of the head also  I believe they are M8x1.25  but zcardepot list the thread pitch

I looked, they're stainless with regular washers and flange nuts.

Instead, I bought a 10-pack of Dorman 03411, and will reuse my thick washers.

• Like 1

I thought there was the stock nyclad versions also but I could be mistaken.  there was varios version I thought.

I seen the flange nuts.. I tried to fine stud nuts for exhaust and could not. But then I was looking at my exhaust manifold the the one stock stud that was on there I swear it was a M8x1.00 fine thread.

I said fuck it and put M81.25 (both ends)  on 2 of the studs

the other stud was redone years ago by someone else and its a 5/16x24  which is the 521 SAE commonly used size)  which is almost the same as a M8x1.00 which was confusing me.

but what the guy replaced the studs in another exhaust manifold I had done (yesterday) Im sure its M8x1.25  but what came from the factory on the Y pipe side of the stud could have been M8x1.00   as I have the stock exhaust manifold Nut which is long and brass I believe and really think its fine thread as vibration but work it loose. But I cant check as the bolt broke insdie the nut while removing

Really never had the Ypipe gasket go bad until this year with 30yrs of owning Datsun. So Im am new on this

I just used a nut and washer and yes Im worried it will work loose

• Like 1

Im going to make a purchase from these guys soon ,as I want to ck out their L series head gasket

Mainer which is the best exhaust flange nut you think is best?

https://zcardepot.com/collections/240z/products/copper-exhaust-manifold-flange-nut-240z-260z-280z#

https://zcardepot.com/products/copper-exhaust-manifold-nut-set-240z-260z-280z?variant=19277176668273#

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1

Here are some parts you will need to get from your local Nissan dealer.
GasketNuts.JPG
The gasket is obvious.  The nuts are a type of stainless steel that does not seize to the manifold studs easily.  I used these nuts on Ratsun, when I put the engine in it, in 2011.  I cannot remember when the last time I removed the exhaust system from Dragon, and these nuts came off without breaking, or damaging the threads on the exhaust studs. I have also used these nuts on the exhaust studs on a VW powered dune buggy, with air cooled engine.  No problems there either. Long story short, no broken exhaust manifold studs.

Edited by DanielC
  • Like 1

Why pay retail when you can get studs from the source (or at least closer to the source)? I buy my hardware from various suppliers, but metric studs can be purchased from https://www.mcmaster.com/double-end-threaded-studs

or

https://www.belmetric.com/metric-studs-c-9.html

Good, high quality JIS metric hardware can be found here - https://www.overlandmetric.com/collections/bulk-nuts-bolts-screws/M8

Though these guys make their hardware specifically for Toyota restorations, and it looks a bit different than the stuff Nissan used, it is very nice and doesn't have that hardware store look.

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports
  • Like 1

Daniel

THANKS  for the part numbers. Wish I would have got these in the first place that gasket looks better than the standard Felpro/ or other gasket set type.

Yes those are the 3 long nuts needed

Might get a set as spares but highly dought if I ever need this in the future. as once this trick wears out im dumping it and keep the 510 I never drive

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1