A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

27 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

maybe yougot confused  were to put in 1 tooth in the opposite direction?

Anything is possible.... 

It seems like I indexed 1 side 2 spines and the other only 1... 

I manage to raise the ride height to where I want it and still have room to adjust.... 

I do still need to balance out the adjusters but for now I need to drive it on Wednesday so I left it alone.... 

I have some new control arm bushings on order too so I'll have to release the torsion bar tension to do that any how so I'll be resetting it again either way....

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Maybe the truck sits level but one arm is doing more work than the other?

Possible..... I kind of wish I had the money now to get the front coilovers ... i have the conversion brackets coming soon but I dont think I'll be getting that accomplished till next year....

• Like 1

I do have a quick question....

Unfortunately I have to pull my damn heater core again..... I fixed a leaking end cap a while a few months back and now it seems I have a tiny leak on the opposite side.... it burns off as I drive but I notice a little coolant pooled up in the heat box lid yesterday....

I thought I was buying another one... had the core with the valve and the fan.... unfortunately the seller never sent it , never responded to me or anything... it's been almost a month... I have a claim in with Ebay now for a refund......

Probably gonna try placing a ratsun ad for one....

Any how my question.....

Has anyone ever figured out a replacement fan unit? Or even just the plastic fan part? 

Mine works electronically but has some plastic pieces missing so it vibrates a bit more than it should....

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Charlie69 said:

What are you implying Mike?

That the sway bar resists individual wheel movement and will transmit some of the lifting force to the opposite side.  Probably the spline was set wrong but have you tried evening the adjusters and see it the ride is still level?

• Like 1

Keep in mind that there are 3 different types of motors I have seen and they do not all have the same mounts, my 71 has the flat platter type where the brushes rest on a disc like a record player, so just because it fits a 521 don't mean it will fit your 521.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 2
21 minutes ago, DanielC said:

Remember the plastic is well, in your case, 48 years old.  The plastic is very fragile.  It is very difficult to loosen the nut that holds the squirrel cage on the motor shaft.

I do have a few extra heater parts.  Give me time to see what I have.

I appreciate you looking....

That's why I'm afraid to touch the bird cage.... its already trying to fall apart....

• Like 1
1 minute ago, wayno said:

Keep in mind that there are 3 different types of motors I have seen and they do not all have the same mounts, my 71 has the flat platter type where the brushes rest on a disc like a record player, so just because it fits a 521 don't mean it will fit your 521.

Ok that's good to know... 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

That the sway bar resists individual wheel movement and will transmit some of the lifting force to the opposite side.  Probably the spline was set wrong but have you tried evening the adjusters and see it the ride is still level?

I did set the adjusters level at first and the truck was not level....

5 minutes ago, wayno said:

Are there any differences with the heater cores to watch out for or are all the 520/521 cores the same?

OK, here are the differences, I don't have a box with the wide mount pattern or at least I don't want to pull them apart to find out.

Here is the platter type motor, see how it doesn't stick out the hole.

001.jpg

002.jpg

Here is the more traditional motor type, it does stick out the hole in the heater box.

003.jpg

And here is one of the motors that is huge and is larger round, it sticks out the heater box almost all the way to the firewall, the mounts are way farther apart, I don't have a box for it anymore or it is in one of my trucks and I kept the motor/cage as a back up.

004.jpg

I suppose this last motor could be for a 720 but I don't think it is, the cage is the same as a 521 cage, as I recall the mounts in the heater box were different, it had legs, it's been so long now memories are fading away, these parts were squirreled away years ago if not decades when 521 trucks could still be found in wrecking yards.

Edited by wayno

I believe all the 521 cores are the same, early 620 cores may also work, I don't recall anymore as it has been years/a decade since I have had to deal with heater boxes.

21 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Are there any differences with the heater cores to watch out for or are all the 520/521 cores the same?

11 minutes ago, wayno said:

I believe all the 521 cores are the same, early 620 cores may also work, I don't recall anymore as it has been years/a decade since I have had to deal with heater boxes.

Maybe early like 72 or 73 620, but all the 620 heater cores I have personally seen seem to be different....

19 minutes ago, wayno said:

OK, here are the differences, I don't have a box with the wide mount pattern or at least I don't want to pull them apart to find out.

Here is the platter type motor, see how it doesn't stick out the hole.

001.jpg

002.jpg

Here is the more traditional motor type, it does stick out the hole in the heater box.

003.jpg

And here is one of the motors that is huge and is larger round, it sticks out the heater box almost all the way to the firewall, the mounts are way farther apart, I don't have a box for it anymore or it is in one of my trucks and I kept the motor/cage as a back up.

004.jpg

I suppose this last motor could be for a 720 but I don't think it is, the cage is the same as a 521 cage, as I recall the mounts in the heater box were different, it had legs, it's been so long now memories are fading away, these parts were squirreled away years ago if not decades when 521 trucks could still be found in wrecking yards.

Pretty sure what I have is like the first 2 pics... 

So a 720 bird cage is the same?

My fan motor works fine so if i could 720 blower motor I could just use the bird cage and fix mine..   

The cage is sorta the same, it's the same size and it mounts the same, but that one has more fins and they are smaller fins, I don't have a 720 heater box loose to compare that motor to, but I do remember that there were at least 3 different types of 521 heater boxes/motors, and I only have photos of 2 different heater boxes.

I do not recall ever removing a 620 heater box from a 620, so how I would end up with a 620 motor/cage I can only guess, more than likely I parted out a 1972 Datsun 521 that had that box/motor in it, but this is a guess, I cannot remember for sure.

13 minutes ago, wayno said:

The cage is sorta the same, it's the same size and it mounts the same, but that one has more fins and they are smaller fins, I don't have a 720 heater box loose to compare that motor to, but I do remember that there were at least 3 different types of 521 heater boxes/motors, and I only have photos of 2 different heater boxes.

I do not recall ever removing a 620 heater box from a 620, so how I would end up with a 620 motor/cage I can only guess, more than likely I parted out a 1972 Datsun 521 that had that box/motor in it, but this is a guess, I cannot remember for sure.

I tried looking up 720 blower motors and they definitely look different....

Regardless of where yours came from it seems like an option for me.....

Was the cage still plastic?