A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well the next task I decided was gonna be the idle solenoid.... after looking at the firewall idea I realized it was just gonna be a pain in the ass to line up and adjust things...

I decided the arm on the back of the carburetor is the better way.... 

I looked through the extra parts I got with the weber and found this....

20190930-151015.jpg

Would have been nice but I couldn't orientate it any way that the solenoid could actuate it....

so I stuck with the original arm....

20190930-151024.jpg

I flipped the arm to reorient it and then trimmed it because it was hitting the intake...

20190930-151425.jpg

20190930-151742.jpg

I have a bracket I'm working on, more on that tomorrow.... 

• Like 2

I always did but executing it is a different story....

Even now my idea to power it off the ac interior fans didnt work out..... when I disconnected the fan motors it had 3 wires.... when I tested them they all powered the fans... 1 2 3.... 

Low - medium - high, when one comes on the other shuts off.... only 1 active at a time.....

I thought about trying to diode isolate the three to trigger a relay and then i took the easy way out.... just used one of the extra dash switches I had....

This actually works out good for me... I dont use a choke when I warm up my truck so I have to wait a minute when I first start it , then keep the idle up some till it warms up a bit before I can jump out and lock the garage door...

Well this switch will do that for me too, hold a higher idle even if the ac isnt on...

20191001-112715.jpg

This is the bracket I made...

Works good but adjusting not so much... I couldn't figure out how to lock it in place.. for now I just shimmed it between the solenoid and the bracket and tightened the nut...

• Like 2

So I figured out a way to adjust it after the fact.... right know its holding a good high idle for me so I'll leave it alone, but

If I need to I can simply drill and tap a hole in the arm attached the carburetor and add a set screw....

Tomorrow is the dyno run, excited to see how it does and of course there has to be an issue, but luckily it won't be a problem...

My o2 sensor has being giving a couple weird reading and now I'm convinced it needs replacing.... And I cant get one locally.... 

• Like 2

Earlier this year i had this miss and I reduced the total advance from 32 to 28 and the problem went away....

Well I just remembered I creeped it back up to 30.... but I've never ran the rpms this high ..... hopefully that's it.... 

I'll change the curve in the morning and take it for a quick ride... 

• Like 1

Results are in.... apparently this dyno is a bit more accurate then some others around.... and that the dyno I was on before exaggerates the number by 10%... so before I was only at 77 hp...

Well after a couple different jet combos I have some really good info to further tune with... 

And what I ended up at was...

95.2 hp to the ground at 6200rpm

98 ftlbs of torque... 

He thinks I might be able to get to the 100 or damn close, but i need some smaller air correctors. I put the richest one I had in and I could have gone a few steps smaller... he also thinks with more fuel at the top I might be able to get away with a little more timing....

All in all I'm pretty happy with the results  ... I'll post some videos and pics  later..

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Crashtd420 said:

Ok datsunmike make me sad.....

So in a dyno run I would assume you would want to be in 4th gear because that is a 1:1 ratio right.....

Well I just watched the videos I took and I'm 99.9% sure hes in 3rd gear on all the power pulls.... 

It would depend on your final ratios... but I did a quick search... bored at work.... sounds like 3rd gear is not uncommon, and is a little easier on the engine, especially at the lower RPMs.  

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, demo243 said:

It would depend on your final ratios... but I did a quick search... bored at work.... sounds like 3rd gear is not uncommon, and is a little easier on the engine, especially at the lower RPMs.  

I dont know enough about any of that... I emailer the dyno operator just to see what he says.... either way I'm happy...

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, BrothersGarage said:

Hows she feel driving?

Has been feeling really good driving lately, i generally dont go above 5000 so getting to rev and still make power up over 6000 was sweet....

The emulsion tube was a big key to fixing the transition flat spot...

With the new info i know i need to lean out around 2500rpm and then richen the top end and I should have the air/fuel spot on....

I just got the email with the dyno sheets, I'll post those in a minute and try to get a video or 2 up later when I have more time. .  

• Like 2