A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

I think this is an early 521 box as it only has one set of mounts in there, but I really do not know what year this box is out of.

005.jpg

Here is the kind of box I have in my 1971 as it has the pancake type motor, see where I pulled back the foam to show you the other type mounts with the smaller pattern, see how it has the larger mount pattern outside of the foam ring.

007.jpg

Here are the 2 motors side by side, pancake type on the right and the large motor on the left, they have the same mount pattern(105mm), the larger motor will likely fit in the hole but I cannot get the wires for the larger motor past the hole the motor slides into.

006.jpg

You can see in the photo below that the cages are the same size but the fin count/fins are different.

008.jpg

That loose motor was likely from a 1972 Datsun 521 but you will have to take yours out and see what type of motor you have.

• Like 2
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i did a quick look at my extra heater parts.  I have two types of motors, some with good fans.

I need to test them before I let them go.  Probably the best way to ship the motor and fan is to just put it in a 521 heater, and put the cover plate on the heater.  Thursday I have time to test the motors.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, wayno said:

The reason I asked is because I believe he put a 720 heater box assembly in his 520, it also appears to have the small motor, I have one that looks just like that and it may have come out of my 1966 Datsun 520.

3 minutes ago, wayno said:

The reason I asked is because I believe he put a 720 heater box assembly in his 520, it also appears to have the small motor, I have one that looks just like that and it may have come out of my 1966 Datsun 520.

Sounds about right.... 

So will these parts work in my 72?

I still want to pull mine out of the truck this weekend before I commit to buying something....

• Like 1

You need to pull your heater box out before you start buying anything as you need to know what you have first.

So what are these parts you mentioned for your 72, that motor you posted a photo of on the last page???

1 minute ago, Crashtd420 said:

Sounds about right.... 

So will these parts work in my 72?

I still want to pull mine out of the truck this weekend before I commit to buying something....

• Like 1

Box is good....

Heater core has an extremely tiny leak,  and no on/off valve.... but I have an on/off valve under the hood so that doesnt really matter....

The fan has a broken section....

Mostly I was trying to find a replacement for the birdcage but if I got a spare heater core and motor then that's fine too..... 

• Like 1

So the other day I reset my ride height.... because I was going back up I need to add a couple shims to my camber.....

Does any one know what grade bolt is used to hold the upper control arm to the frame?

I know they are a 7/16-20 but locally I can only find them in grade 5..... I was thinking I should use grade 8 but I couldnt find anything online that didnt contradict its self.... 

• Like 1

What do you mean contradict itself?

Use boltdepot.com. I love them. They're right down in Hingham, and you'll have the bolts within 2 days. Use USPS economy shipping. 

Since shipping is relatively high (compared to the price of a few bolts), add a bunch of other "spares" of commonly used threads/lengths. 

https://www.boltdepot.com/Hex_bolts_Zinc_plated_grade_8_steel_yellow_7_16-20.aspx

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 1

That's a myth. Tensile strength is higher in a grade 8 vs. a grade 5, yes. And yes, the grade 5 will have a higher elongation before fracture, and I think that's where people get the myth that a grade 5 is better than a grade 8. If you have suspension components that are moving because a grade 5 is stretching, then you probably should have used a grade 8. See my point? There is no application out there where someone should choose to use a weaker bolt because they want the built-in stretch.

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

That's a myth. Tensile strength is higher in a grade 8 vs. a grade 5, yes. And yes, the grade 5 will have a higher elongation before fracture, and I think that's where people get the myth that a grade 5 is better than a grade 8. If you have suspension components that are moving because a grade 5 is stretching, then you probably should have used a grade 8. See my point? There is no application out there where someone should use a bolt weaker bolt because they wan't the built-in stretch.

Sounds good enough to me..... I used the grade 5 just so I could drive it the other day, but I have been questioning my choice the whole time......

And thanks for that link... I'll get some grade 8s ordered up today.....

To be honest, grade 5 is probably okay, and I feel like that's what a lot of these vehicles came with from the factory, but the cost delta is so little between the two, that I usually just replace them with 8's anyway. It's cheap peace of mind.

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

To be honest, grade 5 is probably okay, and I feel like that's what a lot of these vehicles came with from the factory, but the cost delta is so little between the two, that I usually just replace them with 8's anyway. It's cheap peace of mind.

Yes I agree...