Crashtd420

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

Yes, it looks square because of compression set. It was almost definitely round originally.

The biggest factor is lubrication I think. Pack the gland with grease before assembling. An X-shaped seal might actually retain grease between the lobes better, but a round ring will work just fine.

We use a silicone-based “o-lube” that is extremely tacky. It doesn’t dry or wash out, and actually allows the o-ring to swell once installed.

I think I'm over thinking things again....

I just dont want to deal with a leaky valve. .  I'm sick of dealing with coolant....

There is a huge cost difference but if it's worth it I would do it...

The rounds and the squares were around 10 for a 25 pack... the better quality..( I saw a 50 pack round for $4 same vendor on Amazon it was odd).. or the x profile would be closer to $25-30 ... for a 25 pack....

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Crashtd420 said:

I think I'm over thinking things again....

Yeah, just get the round ones. The shit that Matt mentioned is usually sold by Dow Corning and works great. Looks like Home Depot has “Danco” brand for $4.

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 2
12 hours ago, wayno said:

It's kinda funny how some people make things so complicated, I go to the hardware store and buy an o-ring, install it and call it good, I never had one leak there before or after but I don't even touch it/move it, it is always on summer, fall , winter, spring, it is always on. 

Probably because you have a dozen vehicles to maintain and it has become a chore to you. Crash has one toy truck and he likes playing with it.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, wayno said:

It's kinda funny how some people make things so complicated, I go to the hardware store and buy an o-ring, install it and call it good, I never had one leak there before or after but I don't even touch it/move it, it is always on summer, fall , winter, spring, it is always on. 

Like saying BMW turn signal bulbs never burn out...because they never get used.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, wayno said:

I will feel better now, I used a regular o-ring  plus a little grease but have been having doubts about it’s compatibility with antifreeze. 

• Like 1

If the valve/o-ring leaks and you lubed it up when you installed it, since you have already had it apart, it will likely come apart easy so you will not need to remove the heater box, all one would have to do is drain the coolant(save it), remove both heater core hoses from the block, not from the heater core, from the block, then blow air thru one hose and catch all of the coolant coming out the other end, then remove that tiny screw and pull the valve out with a pair of pliers as it should come out easy, put a better o-ring on it and put it back together.

I do not recall the gatherer saying he used a special o-ring when he wrote in his thread how to take one of these heater core valves out, repair it, and put it back together, but he is the one that I learned from on how to get one apart without ruining it, that was likely almost 9 years ago(maybe less).

Having to replace Dogleg transmissions became a chore, they were never made to move a heavy truck but they were almost a bolt in so everyone jumped on that band wagon, no one had ever made the effort to figure out how to make a short shaft 5 speed from a truck transmission and then tell everyone else, it was some kind of secret.

If I have been short lately I am sorry, a couple days ago I stopped taking the Statin the doctor put me on, I have not been sleeping much over the last 10 days I have been on that Statin(maybe 3hrs of sleep a night at the most, some nights no sleep at all), last night I slept 11 hours, I feel a little better now.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 3

Well regardless I order some better o'rings...  chemical resistant and what not, Something called viton.... hopefully that was the right choice.....

I bought a 50pack for $4 because the price was stupid cheap... these were the dash 111 viton regular round....

I also bought a pack of the square style viton to try, why not... only $10 for a 25pk.... 

And wayno that's a good idea.... about having to only remove the valve if the o ring starts to fail.....

Like I said before if these work well I'll report back and I'd be happy to share with any other 520/521 owners who need the oring..... if I'm lucky I can just tape them to a piece of paper and send them in the mail in a basic stamped envelope... 

• Like 2

This is a great upgrade.mod for any 520/521 a 720 heater and ac boxes. 

DSC02195.jpg

I looks messy because I am in the process of installing a 1980 720 automatic wiring harness with many mods to the harness.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 1
20 hours ago, wayno said:

If I have been short lately I am sorry, a couple days ago I stopped taking the Statin the doctor put me on, I have not been sleeping much over the last 10 days I have been on that Statin(maybe 3hrs of sleep a night at the most, some nights no sleep at all), last night I slept 11 hours, I feel a little better now.

I hope you feel better Wayno.

• Like 1

Never heard anything good about those. Just one of the side effects is memory loss. Cholesterol is what the brain needs to function. They are for people that refuse to do anything about their health condition. Reduce stress, change diet get more exercise and move on. It you die you did it on your own terms. Sorry I didn't get enough sleep lats night either.

• Like 1
On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 10:55 AM, wayno said:

Prolonged use of statins leads to Stage 2 Diabetes.  Might explain some of your reactions.

• Like 1

In the last 3.5 years I have learned one thing that Statins actually do for sure, and you will not find this info on the internet, they turn Doctors into lying sacks of shit, at least the ones I have seen, I asked my doctor I used to have if any of my issues could be caused by any of the pills I was taking, that doctor said nothing, if a doctor knows that a pill is causing an issue and says nothing when asked, they are a LYING SACK OF SHIT by omission, and he knew.

We shall see what this doctor says when I tell him I quit taking the Statin.

This is not the thread for this, but I thought this was important info above

• Like 2