Problem with Compression or Timing on High Compression L20b causing pinging

510SSS

RacerX it's not that, I know enough about L series to have checked that many times over, So, I went down to the shop today and it would seem that the carbs that Wolf Creek Racing sold me as they were closing, because of the owner's recent passing were built hasily and the internal jets were not screwed in all the way, this caused a lean condition in cylinder number thee and a semi lean condition in the other cylinders, this is why it was pinging so badly under load, now I have to get my Mikuni's rebuilt again, even though I already paid a bunch of money to get em rebuilt, FML, oh well I forge ahead with the carb rebuild, thanks to all who gave advice it really helped me narrow down the problem, turns out it wasn't the timing, not the dizzy, nor the plugs, or even the oil pump tang, but rather a hastily rebuilt carburetor causing a lean condition in my cylinder due to being built improperly. :crying:

• Like 1
  • Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the kind words Ko, I'll keep you guys updated on what happens with Wolf Creek, should still be under warranty as far as I know, considering their mistake could have caused damage to my engines break in by causing fuel wash in my cylinders :devil: Hopefully they can hook me up and take them back and rebuild them the legit way, otherwise i'm gonna just send em back, and get some DCOE's instead, seems to be a lot more tuning info and jet availablity compared to the Solex/Mikunis :hmm:

• Like 1

Mikunis are so vastly superior to Webers, I would really try to keep them. Simpler to make jet changes, the accel pumps are better, venturis and aux venturis are easier to remove/replace, etc.

I have seen loose jet blocks cause damage to the threads in the carb body before, but if the threads are ok, tighten everything up and move on.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity can lock tight be used so that the don't come off.

NO NO NO NO!  I found that some very fine mono-filament fishing line used as a thread lock (installed vertically) is best, I raced Pro Solo for 5 years with that and they never backed out.

• Like 2

Well...not everyone has spell check knoledge.

9 pages for pinging ? I bet i could have that thing running just fine in 30 minutes,assuming it doesnt have some major problems.

Well haven't heard if this is it either, yet.

• Like 1

Well considering I'm just learming mechanical knowledge, I was not raised with my dad working on cars at all, I have learned all I could in the last 3 years, and this is my first datsun, but good for you that you're mr. insto fixit, I wish I had you're talent man, (not you're ego though..) Ok so I have my friend who has raced Datsun 510's for 30 years look over the main and pilot jets tomorrow and make sure everything is screwed in properly and re-jet if need be. Only then will I try to send in my Dizzy and have it re curved as a last resort, ya I hear Advanced Distributors does a good job, others have recommended them to me as well, but would you say they are better than Rebello? I don't really wanna have to send my Dizzy all the way to the east coast. Cool thx Doctor 510 for the trick with the micro filament fishing line, sounds like a good idea if they keep backing out as time goes on. Thanks again. :D

Ya I kinda feel like rather than really rebuilding the carbs completely it seemed as though they found a set that were in good condition, cleaned and polished them up a bit and just sent them out now that I look at them closer, damn I wish I had sent em back right when I got them, oh well, I guess I will have to fix them up myself, luckily they gave me a bag of replacement parts, time to bust out the Mikuni book's and learn to take these things apart. :confused: How about a motorcycle shop? they probably tune carbureted Mikuni bikes all the time, can't be that much different anyone ever try this? 

Ya I kinda feel like rather than really rebuilding the carbs completely it seemed as though they found a set that were in good condition, cleaned and polished them up a bit and just sent them out now that I look at them closer, damn I wish I had sent em back right when I got them, oh well, I guess I will have to fix them up myself, luckily they gave me a bag of replacement parts, time to bust out the Mikuni book's and learn to take these things apart. :confused: How about a motorcycle shop? they probably tune carbureted Mikuni bikes all the time, can't be that much different anyone ever try this? 

HUGE difference between the cycle carbs and the PHH,  get the book.  

• Like 2

Why do you want to tear them apart? Make sure the jets are all tight. Double check that the accell pumps are working and run it.

This. Stop fucking around. Its a datsun and you have to check everything once in a while cause shit vibrates loose.

• Like 1