New 320 owner, 62?

320 Newb

Gas filler neck question. I'm assuming the overflow tube is turned to the bottom so gas drains out if it is filled up the neck. Correct? When I rotate my filler neck with the overflow on the bottom side it points the gas cap towards the back of the truck. To have the cap sit in the position that looks the best the overflow tube is oriented to the top. 

Can anyone post pics of their filler neck one with the cap on and one with the cap off?

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe the vent tube goes on the top, that allows the air to escape the tank while the fuel is being put into the tank, if the tube was on the bottom there would be a chance that fuel could get in it while filling the tank and it would get spit out the vent tube and possibly at you.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, wayno said:

I believe the vent tube goes on the top, that allows the air to escape the tank while the fuel is being put into the tank, if the tube was on the bottom there would be a chance that fuel could get in it while filling the tank and it would get spit out the vent tube and possibly at you.

Aaah that makes sense! That orients the cap in the right direction.

• Like 1

This is just all about how i think, I cannot say with certainty that what I said is right, it just seems like that is how it would work.

When I do an engine conversion I put a tee in that vent line if the tank has no return line barb in it, it works fine plumbed that way for me.

• Like 1

The Roadster fuel neck rubber will work in the L320. That is what I used.

The 1500 Roadster uses the same temp sender as the truck. It has been discussed quite a bit in another thread.

Here is a picture of the rubber I put in. I made one continuous piece and added some guides on the side to front part. 

P3020155.jpg

• Like 1

I believe that you can get some parts to rebuild the original fuel filter with, maybe even the glass bowl, at 'Tractor Supply'. Maybe some other industrial or other agricultural suppliers ??  I've got an image saved somewhere, just gotta find it. Zed1 in Dallas area was source of this knowledge. Maybe I'll find it or he'll chime in.

• Like 1

OK, I received that weather seal today, it appears to be a good product.

I test fit it on the L320 I painted recently, I tried the seal both ways, this direction first.

010.jpg

001.jpg

003.jpg

Here is a photo of why I don't like it in this direction, I can see the gasket thru the louvers.

007.jpg

012.jpg

Then I put it on the other way which is the way I like even though there may be arguments for the other way.

009.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

You cannot see the gasket in the louvers this way.

008.jpg

The gasket touches the hood when the hood is closed all the way across as far as I can tell.

This gasket will not work for around the screen unless one adds an upright for the gasket to slide onto like Steve did in his photos on his Tuesday posts.

Now the thing for me is why doesn't the gasket go all the way across, this baffles me, but the NL320 and U320 are that way also even though the gasket is almost completely gone on both sides I can tell there was no gasket in the middle, it seems to me that it should go all the way across, but I have not seen any photos of the engine compartment of a new 320 that I can see this area, maybe I need to search more, I have seen a few 320s with new gasket material and none have it all the way across.

By the way, I ordered 8 feet and they sent me 10 feet.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, wayno said:

Now the thing for me is why doesn't the gasket go all the way across, this baffles me, but the NL320 and U320 are that way also even though the gasket is almost completely gone on both sides I can tell there was no gasket in the middle, it seems to me that it should go all the way across, but I have not seen any photos of the engine compartment of a new 320 that I can see this area, maybe I need to search more, I have seen a few 320s with new gasket material and none have it all the way across.

Here is a pic out of the intro to 320 manual. You can see that it doesn't go straight across the middle.

vent-rubber.jpg

Moses--

I just looked through my service manual.   To return to your question about the gas pedal pad:  I found two pictures of the pedals in the Owners Manual from Alan Bent's Datsun 320 CD where the accelerator pedal was bare.  See below.  

320_pedals_owners_manuel.JPG

I wonder if they may have come that way originally.