New 320 owner, 62?

320 Newb

On 6/30/2019 at 5:07 PM, 320 Newb said:

Cab mount question. I know there are round rubber mounts between the cab and chassis but are there also round rubber mounts that go on the underside of the chassis with a big washer? And if so what is the function of those mounts?

The rubber isolates the cab from the chassis to keep down noise/vibration, now if you were to just run a bolt thru the cab hole, then thru the rubber mount piece, then thru the chassis hole and put a nut on it and tighten it up all the noise/vibrations will be transferred thru the mount bolt, but if you put a piece of rubber on the bottom side of the chassis with a big washer to not crush the rubber piece in the center, and have the hole in the chassis large enough that the bolt cannot touch the chassis, then the cab is isolated from the chassis and all that noise and vibrations cannot be heard unless some other part of the cab is touching the chassis.

This is why the steering column also has rubber pieces isolating it from the cab.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chipping away at putting her back together. Front and back glass back in with 1960s Ford backglass gaskets. The windshield is modern glass cut down from a Jeep Commander windshield--the curve fit perfectly.

Got my parking brake back together, dash in, seat in, wiper motor and linkage back in. Has anyone found wiper blades that fit or wiper blades that fit and can be cut down to size?

IMG-6502.jpg

IMG-6503.jpg

IMG-6504.jpg

Edited by 320 Newb
  • Like 2

I am a little worried, that wiper transmission/assembly appears to be put together wrong in your photo, the way you have it in this photo below the pivots will turn opposite directions, do not turn them on with the wiper arms connected as it could break something, I would not turn it on at all myself.

9 minutes ago, 320 Newb said:

Got my wiper motor and linkage back together and back in with new wiper blades. The wiper blades in the yellow box are a slam dunk.

IMG-6513.jpg

IMG-6509.jpg

IMG-6514.jpg

Here is what it is supposed to look like, the arm between the 2 pivots is supposed to be parallel with the other piece of metal that holds the pivots in place, you need to fix this before you try to use them wipers.

001.jpg

002.jpg

So it appears I had the middle shaft in between the pivots on the wrong side(upper side) when it needed to be on the lower side, the one I took photos of is an extra I have in case one of mine gives up, they are not making them anymore.

I wondered about the notches on the center arm, but wasn't really thinking about anything other than him not turning the wipers on as it had been less than 10 minutes since he had posted them photos.

I hope he can fix it without having to remove it.

Here it is the the drive arm on the proper side of the the transmission drive housing/plate.

003.jpg

004.jpg

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, jetattblue said:

Dude! Your truck is looking fantastic. I love the paint color. Justin

Thanks for the kind words. I've been working on it for a couple years and I'm excited to be putting it back together. My goal is to have it finished for my little guy's 5th birthday in November. 

• Like 2

That looks good but it doesn't function properly, the gasket is supposed to stick up and touch the hood when it is closed.

002.jpg

001.jpg

My photos above do not have the gasket that is on the upright seam across the whole back of the hood that completely seals the screen area on all 4 sides.

I do not know where one would find the proper gasket for them areas.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1

You may find that you are sucking stinky engine bay air into the cab.

Though not an automotive supply, McMaster-Carr has weatherstripping in many different profiles - https://www.mcmaster.com/weatherstripping

Also, a simple google search for "automotive weatherstripping profiles" nets many results that may work.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

You may find that you are sucking stinky engine bay air into the cab.

Though not an automotive supply, McMaster-Carr has weatherstripping in many different profiles - https://www.mcmaster.com/weatherstripping

Also, a simple google search for "automotive weatherstripping profiles" nets many results that may work.

Thanks for that link they've got tons of good stuff! I'm on the hunt for a fuel filler grommet, wire harness grommet, etc. and I bet they've got it all. 

• Like 1

A guy down in Orange CA rebuilt his 320 and he used this for his fuel filler grommet,  "Steele Rubber Products" part#70-2203-39, I have never bought one so I do not have first hand experience with this part, I just searched it and the grommet showed up so it is a good part number, but it is expensive.

• Like 1

I think that gasket would work well for the strip pointed up across the top from fender to fender if it reaches the hood.

I am unsure about the other 3 sides of the cowl vent as that gasket actually mounts to the screen itself and the flap that sticks up in the ebay auction would be pointing sideways not up.

I just bought eight feet of that stuff, we shall see if it works.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, wayno said:

I think that gasket would work well for the strip pointed up across the top from fender to fender if it reaches the hood.

I am unsure about the other 3 sides of the cowl vent as that gasket actually mounts to the screen itself and the flap that sticks up in the ebay auction would be pointing sideways not up.

I just bought eight feet of that stuff, we shall see if it works.

Curious to hear if it works!

• Like 1