New 320 owner, 62?

320 Newb

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the kind words. I'm trying to be meticulous and get the details right. Steve is my inspiration!

And he's got the nicest 320 I've seen. It's an NL and is more of a survivor. The previous owner sprayed a million coats of primer over everything including glass and chrome. And painted the dash with a paintbrush. I would rather have a survivor but I didn't really have the option. On the upside it was all there including the hard to find stuff and no rust. 

• Like 2

I'm thinking of doing another run of blank 320 VIN plates. Anyone interested? Shipped to US for $40 

I think the quality is pretty good. I made high a high resolution scan of a VIN plate and blanked it out in Photoshop. It's a direct copy not an approximation with modern fonts. 

blank-vin.jpg

• Like 2

Sorry for all the spam. I made these based on the sticker off of Steve's NL320. They come back from the printer on Tuesday. They're printed on vinyl not paper for longevity. Same type of sticker as the tune up spec stickers I just made. 

Low-Res-Fuse-Sticker.jpg

0.jpg

Edited by 320 Newb
  • Like 2

vent-rubber.jpg

I got that great piece of rubber today and thought I had it figured out but it rides to high across the front of the vent and it pushes up the sides of the hood when it's closed. I have fresh paint so I don't want to bend that sheetmetal piece up. I just rode it across the top of the channel. I'm going to think on it and see if there's a way I can modify the rubber to let it ride maybe a 1/4" lower. 

• Like 2

I mentioned that my hood was pushed up also in my 63 L320 thread. but I wasn't sure if it was that way to start with or if the gasket was causing the issue.

My gasket also rides high across the front, I believe 2 reasons could be causing this, either the metal piece I straightened out was too tall or the gasket is hitting the screen and not allowing the gasket to settle all the way to the bottom on the metal piece, take the screen out and see if the gasket goes all the way home/to the bottom, if it doesn't then the metal piece is too tall, if it goes all the way down it is the screen holding it up.

Mine is also a little high, but my build is not nearly as nice as yours, I have lower standards, mine is just an old neat up truck that I did my best to make it as smooth on the outside as possible, I failed on that front, it has dents everywhere but it looks good in the photos.

• Like 2

Alright I'm putting the wire harnesses back in and have lots of questions... Brace yourselves I'll probably be annoying. 

There are two after market wires that I'm not sure where they go. One connects with a bolt to two white wires, one with a red stripe, coming off the harness. Any idea where it goes?

The second one is bolted down right underneath the positive battery cable, and is again an aftermarket wire I'm not sure where it goes. Also my truck has been converted to negative ground.

As always any help is greatly appreciated!

IMG-6734.jpg

IMG-6735.jpg

• Like 1

What engine is in that truck?

The white/red and white/black wires originally went to the generator, if I were to guess I would say that the white wire with the yellow cover bolted to them 2 wires goes to the alternator, but this is speculation(A GUESS!!!) on my part, I have no idea where it goes from that photo.

The other wire I suspect goes to the starter solenoid, but again this is just speculation(A GUESS!!!), I am assuming that is the starter relay that the red cable is connected to, don't just take my word for these guesses I have made and wire it together, you need to figure this stuff out as you can start a fire in your engine compartment and lose your truck, maybe even your house.

Do you even know what kind of alternator you have(internally or externally regulated)?

Did this truck run when you bought it?

• Like 1

It's a J1500 motor running with a stock 320 generator and stock starter for a column shift trans. 

Yes it ran this way before I pulled the cab/bed off, motor/trans out.

In the bottom picture the red cable is on the starter relay and goes to the pos battery terminal. Not sure what the grey wire under it goes to. 

In the top pic the two white wires bolt to that yellow wire and I'm not sure where it goes. Would it make sense to go to the generator even though it's now a negative ground truck? 

This pic isn't my generator but this is exactly what it looks like with the same wire harness going to it and connecting wires. I think the yellow wire off that harness goes to the temp sensor. 

2013_08_11%20heater%20hose%20remove%20(1

• Like 1
9 hours ago, wayno said:

I do not think a stock generator will work as negative ground unless the insides were modified.

According to my 320 wiring diagram them colored wires go from the generator to the regulator without any detours.

My generator had been monkeyed with before I bought it and then about a year ago I paid to have it rebuilt. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wayno said:

That is great, but did you pay them to wire it negative ground or did they just rebuild it?

It was negative ground when I bought it. Ask me how I know hahaha. I came on here and was told these were pos ground trucks so I hooked it up pos ground and smoked my coil. Then I hooked it up neg ground and drove it for about a year before pulling everything down to the frame. 

• Like 1

Just checked my wiring diagram and I don't believe that 320's had a fusible link or fuse for the main generating line. I worked a modular fusible link into Mighty Mouse when I cleaned up the wiring. I had changed to an integrated alternator. It's a Bussman FLB-50 and mounted via this little strip bracket under the edge of the fender top using two fender bolts right above the rear area of the battery

Fusible_Link_-_Bussman_FLB-50.jpg

Engine-Room-Loom-FINI-3-July-2016.jpg

Edited by difrangia
  • Like 2