New 320 owner, 62?

320 Newb

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is why one needs to take photos when you take stuff apart or label each wire to where it goes, I seriously doubt that any of us can figure out your wiring unless we were there and I would still be doubtful, that the generator worked wired as negative ground is puzzling unless it was wired for negative ground internally, I have talked to a guy that had an alternator wired for positive ground for his L320, very nice truck, it wins awards at shows.

At some point you will either figure it out or have to go another route.

I edited quite a bit out of this post Charlie, I decided not to talk about my 320s.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 2

I'll figure it out. This is my first car project and I've had to figure it all out. It wasn't running when I bought--once I got it running it was a slippery slope and next thing you know I'm pulling off the cab/bed and having parts fabricated so I could do new tie rod ends. I didn't even know what a tie rod end was before I started. 

Slow and steady. I took what I thought were enough photos but you know how that goes. I'm sure I saw stuff that I thought was intuitive and a year later it's not feeling so intuitive

Since I'm confident those two mystery wires poke back into cab I might take them off for now and get it running again first, then go from there. 

Quick question--is the nut or bushing that houses the E1 temp sensor readily available? Would it be the same size as the nut or bush for a J15?

• Like 1

I have never had a E1, J13, or J15 coolant sender/sensor out of the block, I don't even know what the sender/sensor looks like or how it is held in, I just know where it is and that so far all of mine work fine.

My E1 and J15 appear to have the same sized collar if that is what it is(5/8"), otherwise that is the only thing similar, my E1 has a bolt holding the wire on, my J15 has a wire coming out of it that has a plug a foot away.

I would not take anything off, leave the wires the way they are and put electrical tape on them so they cannot short out on anything and cause a fire, they had to go to something within the reach of the wires the way they are so you have your search area.

• Like 2

There are two white wires, one with a red stripe, and maybe one with a black stripe, that come out of the wire harness right over the starter relay. Can someone tell me what they connect to or what they do? See the picture below. Next to them are a couple of black wires that come out of the harness that I guess ground out on the stud that come out of the front of the starter relay.

Also can someone post a picture of the starter relay and how it's connected? Thanks in advance.

IMG-6736-1.jpg

• Like 1

Here are 2 photos of my starter relay with them wires, my truck is positive ground.

001.jpg

002.jpg

The white wires go to the starter relay that has the cable coming from the negative side of the battery(positive ground), the 2 black wires are grounded out to the relay mount screws.

Here is a photo farther back.

003.jpg

Edited by wayno
  • Like 3

I have no idea if it is stock to this L320, my NL320 has no relay as it has a modern E1 engine out of a forklift maybe, that starter has a solenoid, my very early 1962 U320 has a relay that sorta looks like yours.

This is my negative ground U320 starter relay, it appears to be wired the same way as my L320 positive ground truck.

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

The 1962 U320 has a British type internally regulated alternator, again it is negative ground.

008.jpg

009.jpg

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, 320 Newb said:

Thanks Wayno! That's a different style starter relay than I have is it stock?

That relay Wayno has is what we call a Ford style solenoid. They made them in continuous duty and standard.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=BJRlXcaRAYXGsAW-1ae4DQ&q=ford+style+solenoid&oq=ford+style+&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0l10.926.3102..5762...0.0..0.108.1098.6j5......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i131.Md8-JkTleY0

• Like 1

I just looked at the 1963 Datsun L320 relay and it's not likely stock, if you look at the second photo I posted of it below you can see the right side mount hole is not used nor is there a mount hole in the inner fender well for it.

I don't look at stuff like that unless it quits working.

002.jpg

Edited by wayno
  • Like 2

Wayne, just for clarification the pic below is from a neg ground 320? It looks like the two wires I'm asking about are wired to the left terminal on the relay. Is the large black cable also attached to that left termal a battery cable that goes to the + side of the battery? And then the cable from the right side goes to the starter?

Thanks again for your help. 

1 hour ago, wayno said:

004.jpg

• Like 2

Yes the 2 white wires are on the same post as the battery cable that goes to the positive side battery post, basically they are wired to the battery, positive or negative ground is wired the same in this respect, the starter don't care either.

Yes the big black cable on the left goes to the positive side of the battery, the big black cable in the right goes to the starter.

It is the generator and regulator that cause issues when changing over from positive ground to negative ground, there may be other things to but I don't recall what they are right now, radio for sure, maybe the temp gauge also.

My negative ground NL320 was completely re-wired by Mike before I bought it from him, I got the fuel gauge working in it, he put an aftermarket temp gauge in it.

• Like 2

Thanks Wayno this is super helpful. 

When I hooked my neg ground truck up positive ground when I first bought it the first thing to blow was the coil. It got red hot and basically exploded. 

The second time I almost caught my rig on fire I was working on it and left the key engaged in the ignition. The points must have been in constant contact and again I blew the coil and melted a bunch of wires.

Paying for my education... 

• Like 2

What do you mean, that has already been gone over on this page, the only wire we have not talked about is the wire coming from the ignition switch assembly that is black/yellow, that one activates the relay/solenoid that gives power to the starter.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

This pic excites me for two reasons: 1. I'm learning how to solder wires (no more crimping), and 2. I'm soon to have a working temperature gauge. I was able to get my hands on the right sensor and Tana Bryan sold me the adapter nut. I found the right wire on the harness, soldered in a new terminal, and got it all hooked up. 

Temp-sensor.jpg

• Like 3