Distributor rotors

Datsundude123

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is that your timing is off.  This is the last time I offer you advice, unless you actually follow it, word for word.  

line up your timing marks to 10 degrees BTDC, rotor pointing to the # 1 plug wire at the distributor cap.  If its 180 degrees out, rotate the engine another full revolution.  Pull off the valve cover while you do this.  As you come up to the #1 position, the intake valve should be closing (2nd valve from the front) and it shoul dclose shortly before you get to 10 degrees.  If the front valve is moving,  tell us as its very important (will never start).  

Now, loosen the distributor clamping plate bolts (both).  

Pull out the #1 (front) spark plug, plug it into the plug wire, ground it to bare metal nearby where you can watch it spark.  

Turn on the ignition key.  

Rotate the distributor Counter Clockwise 90 degrees if you can, then CW until the very moment the spark plug sparks.  

Shut off the ignition key.

Lock down the distributor clamp plate bolts.  

If it doesn't start now, its not ignition.  If you can't get a spark out of the plug AND its well grounded to the engine, either the engine is not grounded to the chassis (bad ground?) or the distributor has a fault of some kind.  If you do get a spark, it should start unless you have a fuel problem.  In that case, it should fire if you spray fuel into the carb while cranking.  

If none of this works, you are a horrible mechanic and need to get professional help or the truck will never run again.  

Follow this word for word.  Don't skip anything.  Don't make assumptions.  Word for word.  if you don't understand any part of this, hire a mechanic.  This is as basic as it gets.  

• Like 1

If replacing, consider an electronic distributor. No points to buy or mess with, no adjusting or filing ever. The EI distributor has higher output when used with an EI coil. $120 for a points coil is just going sideways. The EI was available on the '79 620, '80 720, '79 A10 (200sx) and '79 A10 (HL510) Don't forget you need the matching coil for this to work effectively.

Try this and look for any '79 year.

1979 Datsun Anything. L20B

Dist. Cap. Rotor. Coil. NGK Plugs. Wires.

Don't miss anything on the list.

Everything is from a 1979 w/L20b.

No. If you want a real electronic dizzy, 79 is the years that have them.

Ahh ok! I gotcha.

Thanks.

Can somebody give me a link to a good EI distributor for a l20b please?

wtf?

12 pages of solid advice... no reason this should not be running.

It's kinda hard to take people advice and remember when you are hardly at your shop but you fuck tards just assume random shit out of no where!

I've been super nice to you guys and I've taken all of your guyses advice! Just because I don't reply doesn't me I didnt do what you suggested!

It's kinda hard to take people advice and remember when you are hardly at your shop but you fuck tards just assume random shit out of no where!

I've been super nice to you guys and I've taken all of your guyses advice! Just because I don't reply doesn't me I didnt do what you suggested!

The whole point is to respond to the help, let them know you read it, and do what they said! Or go to a mechanic... Datsun motors are very simple especially the 4 cylinders. Good luck!

datsundude123

We gave all the awnsers allready but you seem to go back to WANTING A DISTRIBUTOR. you have spark. work with what you have. YOu have SPARK this will work. But after all us try to help you out, then WE see a big hole in the side of the manifold no wonder it never will START. This frustrates us that you playing us for suckers. Deep down we are thinking is this dude that fucking stupid. No wonder why Datsun don't last long with young owners. But we will go thru 10 pages for something that should take 20 mins

I told you to get a L16 intake not a whole moptor Duh!!!!!. So to me you missing some brain cells or something. L16 intake is a simple intake with no EGR crap on there but yours will work if you make a plate when you pull the broken bolts out.

Here is this vid just for you Now if you cant figure this out even with the vid then We cant help anymore.. Its like timming of a clock. Everything is based on TDC on the crank. that will be your reference and set the head and the distributor to this or close and it should start if the valves are closed and you have gas and spark.

Wach this over an over. If your too lazy then we are done or 100bucks Im sure someone will get it running .

https://vimeo.com/19077890

Living on Ratsun takes a thick skin it's true. Getting advice here also takes constant clear communication.

Plug those holes, install pcv. Do nothing else. Take pics of that and post them. Try starting the engine and report results. Do nothing else, buy nothing else. Then your diagnostic help will continue.

Living on Ratsun takes a thick skin it's true. Getting advice here also takes constant clear communication.

Plug those holes, install pcv. Do nothing else. Take pics of that and post them. Try starting the engine and report results. Do nothing else, buy nothing else. Then your diagnostic help will continue.

That's exactly what I'm going to do!

Thanks.

datsundude123

We gave all the awnsers allready but you seem to go back to WANTING A DISTRIBUTOR. you have spark. work with what you have. YOu have SPARK this will work. But after all us try to help you out, then WE see a big hole in the side of the manifold no wonder it never will START. This frustrates us that you playing us for suckers. Deep down we are thinking is this dude that fucking stupid. No wonder why Datsun don't last long with young owners. But we will go thru 10 pages for something that should take 20 mins

I told you to get a L16 intake not a whole moptor Duh!!!!!. So to me you missing some brain cells or something. L16 intake is a simple intake with no EGR crap on there but yours will work if you make a plate when you pull the broken bolts out.

Here is this vid just for you Now if you cant figure this out even with the vid then We cant help anymore.. Its like timming of a clock. Everything is based on TDC on the crank. that will be your reference and set the head and the distributor to this or close and it should start if the valves are closed and you have gas and spark.

Wach this over an over. If your too lazy then we are done or 100bucks Im sure someone will get it running .

https://vimeo.com/19077890

Before I posted those pictures the pcv and all those holes were blocked off! So it should have started but it didnt

Im not an idiot! I wasn't trying to start it with the pcv wide open!

You haven't done 10% of anything ony one here has suggested.

If your holes are plugged, it should start.

It's not. What is it doing?

I have no idea why it's not starting That's why I'm here asking for help! It's got everything it needs to start yet it isn't starting

I've listened to almost everybody I'm just not at my shop 24/7 so I forget some of the things you guys tell me to do! Instead of being a dick maybe you could tell me nicely if I'm doing something wrong!

You're not giving us the symptoms of what's happening to what you do/fix.

Diagnosis is a cause and effect.

What happens when you try to start the thing?

If you have spark, you need fuel.

If you have fuel, you need compression.

My guess-your valve timing had been off this whole time.

Take your smartphone to the shop with you so you have all our information there.

Any one posting in this thread would have had this running in a couple of hours.