Distributor rotors

Datsundude123

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're not giving us the symptoms of what's happening to what you do/fix.

Diagnosis is a cause and effect.

What happens when you try to start the thing?

If you have spark, you need fuel.

If you have fuel, you need compression.

My guess-your valve timing had been off this whole time.

Take your smartphone to the shop with you so you have all our information there.

Any one posting in this thread would have had this running in a couple of hours.

Eight!

I have compression, fuel and spark!

When I pour gas in to the card it sounds like it wants to start but it doesn't if I don't put gas in the carb it just cranks!

I'm thinking it's either the valve timing or its not sparking at the right time and that's why I was asking for an exact long or brand of a good EI distributor.

When I pour gas in to the card it sounds like it wants to start but it doesn't if I don't put gas in the carb it just cranks!

This sure sounds like when you add gas it gets closer to working. So there must be a fuel supply/vacuum issue in the mix here. If there weren't, adding has would change nothing.

Pouring gas down the carb WILL NOT make a difference if spark is the current problem. Adding gas only effects FUEL related issues. Stop looking for spark right now. Hold off on that.

This sure sounds like when you add gas it gets closer to working. So there must be a fuel supply/vacuum issue in the mix here. If there weren't, adding has would change nothing.

Pouring gas down the carb WILL NOT make a difference if spark is the current problem. Adding gas only effects FUEL related issues. Stop looking for spark right now. Hold off on that.

When I get to my shop in 15 minutes I'll look for any vacuum leaks but it is getting gas from the carb

I'm thinking it's either the valve timing or its not sparking at the right time and that's why I was asking for an exact long or brand of a good EI distributor.

Changing the distributor isn't going to change when the spark happens. The distributor you have now can be moved or adjusted for this.

If you have spark you just need to get it happening at the correct time. This was posted a day ago....

My guess is that your timing is off.  This is the last time I offer you advice, unless you actually follow it, word for word.  

line up your timing marks to 10 degrees BTDC, rotor pointing to the # 1 plug wire at the distributor cap.  If its 180 degrees out, rotate the engine another full revolution.  Pull off the valve cover while you do this.  As you come up to the #1 position, the intake valve should be closing (2nd valve from the front) and it shoul dclose shortly before you get to 10 degrees.  If the front valve is moving,  tell us as its very important (will never start).  

Now, loosen the distributor clamping plate bolts (both).  

Pull out the #1 (front) spark plug, plug it into the plug wire, ground it to bare metal nearby where you can watch it spark.  

Turn on the ignition key.  

Rotate the distributor Counter Clockwise 90 degrees if you can, then CW until the very moment the spark plug sparks.  

Shut off the ignition key.

Lock down the distributor clamp plate bolts.  

If it doesn't start now, its not ignition.  If you can't get a spark out of the plug AND its well grounded to the engine, either the engine is not grounded to the chassis (bad ground?) or the distributor has a fault of some kind.  If you do get a spark, it should start unless you have a fuel problem.  In that case, it should fire if you spray fuel into the carb while cranking.  

If none of this works, you are a horrible mechanic and need to get professional help or the truck will never run again.  

Follow this word for word.  Don't skip anything.  Don't make assumptions.  Word for word.  if you don't understand any part of this, hire a mechanic.  This is as basic as it gets.

Changing the distributor isn't going to change when the spark happens. The distributor you have now can be moved or adjusted for this.

If you have spark you just need to get it happening at the correct time. This was posted a day ago....

Sorry I didn't see this! I'll do it word for word when I get to my shop in a few minutes

I'll update you with what happens.

My guess is that your timing is off.  This is the last time I offer you advice, unless you actually follow it, word for word.  

line up your timing marks to 10 degrees BTDC, rotor pointing to the # 1 plug wire at the distributor cap.  If its 180 degrees out, rotate the engine another full revolution.  Pull off the valve cover while you do this.  As you come up to the #1 position, the intake valve should be closing (2nd valve from the front) and it shoul dclose shortly before you get to 10 degrees.  If the front valve is moving,  tell us as its very important (will never start).  

Now, loosen the distributor clamping plate bolts (both).  

Pull out the #1 (front) spark plug, plug it into the plug wire, ground it to bare metal nearby where you can watch it spark.  

Turn on the ignition key.  

Rotate the distributor Counter Clockwise 90 degrees if you can, then CW until the very moment the spark plug sparks.  

Shut off the ignition key.

Lock down the distributor clamp plate bolts.  

If it doesn't start now, its not ignition.  If you can't get a spark out of the plug AND its well grounded to the engine, either the engine is not grounded to the chassis (bad ground?) or the distributor has a fault of some kind.  If you do get a spark, it should start unless you have a fuel problem.  In that case, it should fire if you spray fuel into the carb while cranking.  

If none of this works, you are a horrible mechanic and need to get professional help or the truck will never run again.  

Follow this word for word.  Don't skip anything.  Don't make assumptions.  Word for word.  if you don't understand any part of this, hire a mechanic.  This is as basic as it gets.  

do this now

Let him buy another distributor.  Since he only takes selective small, unimportant bits of advice from the forum, maybe it'll make him feel better.  Plus it'll be more "free" stuff for whichever forum member ends up buying it from him, then fixing it in 30 minutes and driving it home.   :devil:

• Like 2

Let him buy another distributor. Since he only takes selective small, unimportant bits of advice from the forum, maybe it'll make him feel better. Plus it'll be more "free" stuff for whichever forum member ends up buying it from him, then fixing it in 30 minutes and driving it home. :devil:

I did exactly what Mike said to do and then I told him exactly what happened!

you watch the vedio? when I install different distributors? Thats how you time it.

if you have spark and gas then recheck the valve lash. if too tight it wont start.

We are scared that you wanting a new distributor that we going going to spend another 10 pages of questions again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

swap out plugs again.

20min fix

Ok I'll check it! The valve lash isn't adjustable on a l20b is it?