Distributor rotors

Datsundude123

An EI dizzy wouldn't have started this engine. We have 15 pages of chasing a vacuum leak.

As you can see there is still some room left at the lock down screw.

The eccentric screw head is distorted. It should turn easily enough that you don't have to twist it that hard.

The points wear block follows the 4 cam lobes on the distributor spindle. Are you on the highest part of one of the cam lobes?

• Like 1
  • Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An EI dizzy wouldn't have started this engine. We have 15 pages of chasing a vacuum leak.

As you can see there is still some room left at the lock down screw.

The eccentric screw head is distorted. It should turn easily enough that you don't have to twist it that hard.

The points wear block follows the 4 cam lobes on the distributor spindle. Are you on the highest part of one of the cam lobes?

Yes in the picture it is at the highest point

20160428_162530_zpsejgghaqg.jpg

That's as far as they open

Yes in the picture it is at the highest point

I don't think so, looks like the points rubbing block is in between the lobes, for God's sake man, put the the screws back in, they should NEVER be taken out unless you are installing a Pertronix. Are you sure that the locating pin on the bottom of the points is in its hole in the plate?

In post #350 you have a Huge point gap - more than enough for the engine to run beautifully.  If you remove the points and clean them you will get a spark on every cylinder, unless your plug wires are still in the wrong order.  The corrosion you need to scrape off the terminals is NOT VISIBLE but its there, preventing a good, consistent spark. 

• Like 1

In post #350 you have a Huge point gap - more than enough for the engine to run beautifully. If you remove the points and clean them you will get a spark on every cylinder, unless your plug wires are still in the wrong order. The corrosion you need to scrape off the terminals is NOT VISIBLE but its there, preventing a good, consistent spark.

Okie dokie

How would you suggest that I clean them off??

• Like 1

once ever 4 rev?

dude are you cking from the spark plug or just the coil wire.

Ck from the end of the coil wire only!!!!!!!!!

Wheres the condensor???????? if this is a L20b point distributor the condensor should be inside.(look like a L20b dist)

Maybe this is why your not spark consisitanly

The condenser is hanging out of the distributor because I was messing with the points and yes I was checking from the spark plug

• Like 1

best to take photos of it actually in there when we help trouble shoot. Not my motor don't run and you show half of it in pieces.

I think we pretty much covered all the possibilities. this is a simple car/truck. SIMPLE

the dist is just a switch. ON/ OFF.   when the points close the coil will charge. open then it fires.

If you want the MSD dist to install but best go on the 510 Realm website. Youll have better help there. TRUE EXPERTS

Matter of Fact I insist.

Good luck. Im done with this one.

• Like 2

best to take photos of it actually in there when we help trouble shoot. Not my motor don't run and you show half of it in pieces.

I think we pretty much covered all the possibilities. this is a simple car/truck. SIMPLE

the dist is just a switch. ON/ OFF. when the points close the coil will charge. open then it fires.

If you want the MSD dist to install but best go on the 510 Realm website. Youll have better help there. TRUE EXPERTS

Matter of Fact I insist.

Good luck. Im done with this one.

In pieces? My distributor wasn't in pieces I was changing the points

• Like 1

All L4 distributors will swap places. The California one may have a different vacuum and mechanical advance curve. You need the EI coil with this for maximum output. Or keep you points coil and ballast.

The pedestals and clamp plates vary the position in which the distributor sits, but they are all the same height.  Its just a matter of phasing - distributor position versus where the trigger is mounted in the distributor.  You need the correct clamp plate to go with the pedestal.  A late plate on an early pedestal or vice versa will not allow you to get the timing in the correct range because the hole positions are moved.  

• Like 1