VGs are ugly motors. Come prove me wrong!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are pretty cool. I can still imagine a nicer design, but I like them

One must also keep in mind that these are "Race Only" items. I am sure with some mild tweaking here and there, these could look a bit more user friendly, but not to pedestrian. 

The reason I like the VG and putting one in my car is simple, it is reliable and it makes good torque. In a car that barely weighs anything, that counts quite a bit. And it does not have to work too hard to do it to achieve said points. I am building the VG34 with the VQ45 pistons and some 300ZX cams. Should make just enough power to get out of its own way! 

The reason I like the VG and putting one in my car is simple, it is reliable and it makes good torque. In a car that barely weighs anything, that counts quite a bit. And it does not have to work too hard to do it to achieve said points. I am building the VG34 with the VQ45 pistons and some 300ZX cams. Should make just enough power to get out of its own way!

I agree about the usefulness of the engine. I've long felt that the vg was Nissan's portly old work horse. Does great work, I've just never thought it looked pretty doing it.

I love the vg34 build. What are you running it with? Carb, jwt ecu, etc?

• Like 1

I agree about the usefulness of the engine. I've long felt that the vg was Nissan's portly old work horse. Does great work, I've just never thought it looked pretty doing it.

I love the vg34 build. What are you running it with? Carb, jwt ecu, etc?

Yeah, the thing is a lump, but, a good lump. 

Running stock 300ZX ECU and harness with a 87 200ZX VG intake. Headers, 300ZX cams and a 240SX Throttlebody. Trying to make it as reliable as possible, as I plan to drive it everywhere. Might even try to make Canby! 

• Like 2

Ok, I gotta a noob question about VG's, specifically Z31.  Are they front sump?

This.

Nope. Front sump vg comes from infiniti m30 or Nissan quest or mercury villager

But to expand further, Z and truck VGs are all rear sump. FWD cars/vans are all front sump. And I think the S12 is front sump also. 

They are pretty motors. Which is why they aren't part of our discussion here on ugly vgs.

The dett is almost a perfect cube with manifolds turbos etc. I had a z32 tt that I pulled the engine out of. Total nightmare. I'm pretty sure they built that engine and then stamped the z out around it.

• Like 2