Dont do business with California Datsun Formely Datsun parts llc

Funny how that 210 head has A87 cast on it...

:no:

See still feel like an idiot, but also shows his shadiness another head with rocker damage and on top of the that description says 210 head. Little shit should've sent a red flag.  I remember asking before hand if he had more pics and he just told me no and I cant get more. 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think WallMart charges a 20% restock fee when a customer returns a product that is faulty or not as described. As far as being re-stocked? this head shouldn't be back on the shelf to be sold to another unsuspecting customer. It should be fixed or re-re-built. It definitely calls into question all other products.

How did this ever get sent out like this? How did it not get noticed if it was re-built or reconditioned? If the buyer had not taken it apart, just how would he explain the damage to the parts without you saying "You ran it out of oil"? Your 'limitations on warranty' seems to favor you more than the customer. What you could have done was paid to have that head shipped back and replaced it with a 'good' one. Then find out who at your company 'dropped the ball' and fix that problem too. May be just me, but this problem could have been fixed ASAP but that option is pretty much passed now.

• Like 4

Its apparent that no matter what my response is, everyone will dissect it and discredit my statements, but here it is anyway.

I choose not to get into a keyboard challenge of wit, nor am I going to attempt to address every comment here. However, I will respond, as it is necessary to state my position on this. It's ironic that I know, for a fact, that dozens of you on this website have purchased engines, heads, and several other parts of ours that you were completely happy with; but none of you want to come out and say it.

My company has done business with everyone from Edd at Wheeler Dealers TV show to the first-time Datsun customers we handle in person. No need to hit the red button and only post poor experiences.  Please be professional, respectful, and understand that this business provides parts and service that many others do not -- and at a better price -- that's why we are in business today.

The name California Datsun is just an additional DBA to help enhance marketing efforts and on-line presence.  Like any successful business, we are growing and evolving and finding our niche in the specialized marketplace that is Datsun parts.  Nothing about the business itself has changed; same owner, same phone number, same business, just a new name that gives us a better on-line position.  Contrary to what someone here has claimed, it is completely inaccurate that we have changed names 4 or 5 times; that's absurd.  I opened this business in 2007 as Datsun Parts LLC and it still exists today thanks to my satisfied customers.

I have always been easy to access, my address and phone number are listed all over the internet. I am at many Datsun car shows and events and always invite everyone to have a face-to-face conversation. I welcome feedback -- poor or negative -- as it helps me learn and improve my business. I never have, and never will, avoid any call, conversation, or electronic dialog. I am myself a Datsun enthusiast. I own, built, and drive a 240Z that has won 1st place at the National Z Car Convention and Best of Show at Motorsport Auto. I also own, built, and drive a custom 620 truck that has won multiple awards. 

I am sincerely sorry to hear that any customer has a problem. But not all problems can be solved. In all business there are limitations to warranties, and all we ask is that customers follow the instructions and limitations for the warranty to be valid. You may not agree with the limits of our warranty, but we state it clearly and it has never changed. Knowing your own business' limitations is part of running a successful business.

However, understand that I am the owner of this business, so I have the freedom to be flexible. I treat customers how I would want to be treated, and every case has different circumstances. If you are reasonable, patient,  understanding, and willing to work with me, then I will extend the same to you. If you take to forums, websites, and social media to just complain, then you are not really trying to solve your problem; you simply want to bash me as a vendor. 

Here is how we handle warranties....

http://www.californiadatsun.com/site-policies-and-warranty.html

In Nathan's case he purchased this head in August 2014, WELL past the 30 day warranty. He never once asked for a return, refund or any futhur response from me. He has reported me to the BBB, chooses to blast me on Forums and Facebook, I am still willing to offer a return and refund less 20%.

I do admit those rocker arms are not new, I do acknowledge the cam has visible scoring. His purchase of a rebuilt head, including a core, for $325 is a very reasonable price. I never set out to burn him, or sell him a bad product. Its simple, if you are not happy return it used, unchanged, and we will give you money back. We do several hundred thousands of dollars in business each year, honestly this refund, return or repair will have ZERO affect on my business. But I need to remain consistent to our limitations.

It's impossible to be perfect. Walmart, Target, and Overstock.com have hundreds of upset customers who post poor reviews on-line even for BRAND NEW items, and they are not going out of business any time soon.  My point is that every business, no matter the size, will have upset customers at some point or another.  The difference between my business and those I mentioned is that those are huge companies with huge buying power who can send product back to the manufacturer, receive a refund on it from the manufacturer, and easily replace the customer's product if need be -- and yet, they STILL have unhappy customers at some point.  There is always going to be someone who thinks they were unjustly wronged, no matter what.

I, on the other hand, I am handling all the day-in, day-out details of this business and I deal directly with my customers.  I offer a warranty, I offer returns, I offer to resolve problems -- within the limitations and warranties that are clearly set forth. 

We have boxes of replacement parts.  But honestly, would any vendor accept a return of a part that you have opened up, taken apart, changed, or modified? 

In this case, I am still willing to issue an exchange or a refund, less 20% for restocking and reassembling fee. But Nathan is still not accepting to that?

The old saying is when someone is upset they tell 1000 people and when they are happy they tell 2. In the age of the internet, when you have a bad experience, everyone wants to blast that vendor on-line and in the forums.

We make mistakes just like anyone else, some are normal, some are excessive, none are acceptable. However, we always address them and do what we can to make it right. In some cases we are too far apart in acceptable resolutions. We have to work within a reasonable limit and the warranty, and we evaluate each case individually. 

Please remember our parts are rebuilt by humans and problems can occur, especially with rebuilt/reconditioned parts.  In the case of cylinder heads, these are often 40-year-old pieces of metal that we do our very best to recondition and sell at an affordable price. 

We have over 11,000 ebay transactions seen here with positive feedback.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/california-datsun

And thousands more with our website.  I am confident that the reason customers shop with us is because of value, availability, and a reputation for selling rare, unique, and quality parts, not to mention the one-on-one customer service with every transaction. Below are some references of very happy customers, but no one says anything about those.

http://www.californiadatsun.com/testimonials/

I want to turn negative feedback into a positive by engaging in a constructive way and showing that we are a caring, genuine business.

I hope everyone will still give us a chance in the future to provide you with high quality products at discounted prices you expect and deserve.  

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know directly and I would be more than happy to help. Give me a call.  Ask me questions.  Run your ideas by me.  I welcome it!

I have tried to respond to the comments in a pleasant and helpful way. Of course, that’s not easy to do when you pour your life into a business and someone bashes it on-line. The immediate impulse is to return fire; so in those cases, it's best I not respond at all. Again, some people will always feel unsatisfied or unjustly wronged no matter what offers of resolution are made. 

Anyway, I appreciate the chance to express my position and hope it encourages anyone with doubts to give us an opportunity to serve you with your Datsun Parts needs.

California Datsun 

Al Allen

909-641-5383

californiadatsun.com

This is total Bullshit he never offer anything to me.  Lets go back to his message on FB which he states its a fully functional head oh and how he says it was a normal valve job not a 4 angled as the ad states..  The you say open, packaging you had it wrapped in bubble wrap, and I wouldn't of had to change the cam if you put the correct cam in, in the first place like again your ad stated.  Then again you copy and paste the same message whenever someone provides negativity.  Now if you really want to honor your lie about claiming to offer me that refund or exchange , I'll see you at Eagle Rock then, but I think you need to toss out the 20% restock fee since I had to go pick the head up from you and all this trouble.  For an exchange head I would lIke pictures of it completed with specs and a guarantee if it is bad like this one that you will give me my give me my full refund.

conversation.jpg

In Nathan's case he purchased this head in August 2014, WELL past the 30 day warranty. He never once asked for a return, refund or any futhur response from me. He has reported me to the BBB, chooses to blast me on Forums and Facebook, I am still willing to offer a return and refund less 20%.

So what of it Red?  Is that part true?  Did you ever ask for a return/refund?  Nevermind, I see your post just above.  Al?  Seriously?  Common cam wear?  That is seriously shithouse.  If the ad was for a bare head only, that's fine.  But if the ad was for an entire rebuilt head and that included cam followers and camshaft, then holy f, that is a screwing.

Just because other businesses receive complaints doesn't absolve them of criticism when the pact between customer and seller isn't upheld any more than it does you, Al.  Using Wal-Mart as a straw man to excuse your decade of (since I first heard about) lack of business ethics is complete b.s.  A simple search will find dozes and dozens of well documented complaints about these matters all with the same outcome: sorry, but you're on your own.   

So what of it Red?  Is that part true?  Did you ever ask for a return/refund?  Nevermind, I see your post just above.  Al?  Seriously?  Common cam wear?  That is seriously shithouse.  If the ad was for a bare head only, that's fine.  But if the ad was for an entire rebuilt head and that included cam followers and camshaft, then holy f, that is a screwing.

Yes I purchased the head last year, I had the money and was collecting parts for my build. I however aggravated an old war Injury at work.  I ran over an IED in Iraq back in 2006, and caused me problems.  I had to have surgery on my right shoulder from it.  My arm gave out at work because of this.  I had to have surgery again and when it gave out I developed nerve damage to my elbow, which I had to have surgery again.  I have been laid up until a few weeks ago and had a chance to really inspect the head and change out the cam to the proper one.

Well I have to put my 02 in here. Say what you will about Calif Datsun Parts. Not many vendors would go as far as putting their phone number up on a bitch thread. Looks to me like he isn't hiding anything.

Yes that head looks bad. But the OP took it apart then asked to return it. I for one would have told the OP to pound sand..

I've known Al for over 15 years and I've sold him a ton of stuff and have had a few of his motors in multiple cars, Yes I did have a problem with a couple of them, But at the end of the day he took care of it,

One motor I got from him back in 07 was smoking really bad. It was not a big deal. I took it back and he upgraded it to an L18 and he paid for the install, Well that one had a bad timing cover and it was leaking. Water mixing with the oil. I was a little pissed but I called him and he jumped on it. Again another upgrade to an L20, And he took care of that install. That motor is still running in another car.

I also have an L28 in my Z that I got from him and it runs like a raped ape. Al makes a pretty good living selling Datsun parts. So my guess is he will continue to make a living selling Datsun parts.

I'm sure a lot of you will not like that I'm holding up for him. But he is a friend of mine.

• Like 1

Well I have to put my 02 in here. Say what you will about Calif Datsun Parts. Not many vendors would go as far as putting their phone number up on a bitch thread. Looks to me like he isn't hiding anything.

Yes that head looks bad. But the OP took it apart then asked to return it. I for one would have told the OP to pound sand..

I've known Al for over 15 years and I've sold him a ton of stuff and have had a few of his motors in multiple cars, Yes I did have a problem with a couple of them, But at the end of the day he took care of it,

One motor I got from him back in 07 was smoking really bad. It was not a big deal. I took it back and he upgraded it to an L18 and he paid for the install, Well that one had a bad timing cover and it was leaking. Water mixing with the oil. I was a little pissed but I called him and he jumped on it. Again another upgrade to an L20, And he took care of that install. That motor is still running in another car.

I also have an L28 in my Z that I got from him and it runs like a raped ape. Al makes a pretty good living selling Datsun parts. So my guess is he will continue to make a living selling Datsun parts.

I'm sure a lot of you will not like that I'm holding up for him. But he is a friend of mine.

I had to replace the cam which according to the ad was suppose to be the correct one, to the correct one and that's how I found the damage.  Have you looked at the rest of the pics.  You really think it was just damage on rockers and cam. The Valves leaked as well the exhaust vales are rusted and crusted.

I make my living with an on-line business, so I have an excuse to be in front of the computer a large part of my day. Nathan, amount of time you have spent with dozens of post here, on forums, on BBB, now stocking me on Facebook, is excessive... enough already! You have to have something better to do?

So how is this, I will look you in the eye, as a man, apologize and accept the problem with the head and hand you all $325 in cash at Eagle Rock and you can return my head. 

Not once have you called me to discuss this, but rather you took it upon yourself to be the Datsun Police and share your issues with the world. You seem to have screen shot, photos and documents galore, show me once where you asked me directly to return or refund this head. You did not, you expressed your concerns and said "ok I just wanted to know what was included", then the next day all of this? 

I know many of you are looking out for each other and I respect and honor that. Think of me what you may, but the bottom line is yes we make mistakes. Guess what so do the guys building Funny Car engines, NASCAR mechanics, and so on. Now just calm down, I am not saying we are them, I am simply saying we made a poor choice in parts to use for this head. Everyone relax, take a breathe, its all going to be OK.

I have seen literally thousands of camshafts, and yes dozens of them have this common scoring. But when you compare it to the hundreds of Heads and Engines we have sold over the last 10 years, the few problems is all relative. Perfectly built motors fail, brand new gaskets leak, brand new bearings spin, this an engine full of seals and moving parts and problems happen...these issues are going to happen again. I guarantee each of you have had an issue with your Datsun engine for no reason, on parts that we new, used and rebuilt.

No excuses, lets put this to bed, we have standards of quality, and this head did not meet those standards. Return it and I will refund you, happy now?

If you want a $10k motor like these, or want to put $30k into national show car winning restorations just let me know, when can build you one of those too.

• Like 2

Thanks I'll see you there and I never asked, because when I showed you the damage you basically blew it off like it was no big deal and told me nothing can be done.  My time I spend on here is due to being on disability and I am not suppose to be doing much.  So who is stalking who?

Alright, OP has vented, business has vented.  At this point, there isn't any clear solution other than those two coming to some agreement.  It will only get worse from here, so I'd say lock this thread up.  Datzenmike?

Hopefully you both can put this to rest and move on, at this point the offer to return your money is better than nothing, and hopefully datsun parts llc can be more vigilant about their services, we all know how difficult to come by parts for our cars and trucks can be, we need as many parts outlets as possible.

I make my living with an on-line business, so I have an excuse to be in front of the computer a large part of my day. Nathan, amount of time you have spent with dozens of post here, on forums, on BBB, now stocking me on Facebook, is excessive... enough already! You have to have something better to do?

So how is this, I will look you in the eye, as a man, apologize and accept the problem with the head and hand you all $325 in cash at Eagle Rock and you can return my head. 

Not once have you called me to discuss this, but rather you took it upon yourself to be the Datsun Police and share your issues with the world. You seem to have screen shot, photos and documents galore, show me once where you asked me directly to return or refund this head. You did not, you expressed your concerns and said "ok I just wanted to know what was included", then the next day all of this? 

I know many of you are looking out for each other and I respect and honor that. Think of me what you may, but the bottom line is yes we make mistakes. Guess what so do the guys building Funny Car engines, NASCAR mechanics, and so on. Now just calm down, I am not saying we are them, I am simply saying we made a poor choice in parts to use for this head. Everyone relax, take a breathe, its all going to be OK.

I have seen literally thousands of camshafts, and yes dozens of them have this common scoring. But when you compare it to the hundreds of Heads and Engines we have sold over the last 10 years, the few problems is all relative. Perfectly built motors fail, brand new gaskets leak, brand new bearings spin, this an engine full of seals and moving parts and problems happen...these issues are going to happen again. I guarantee each of you have had an issue with your Datsun engine for no reason, on parts that we new, used and rebuilt.

No excuses, lets put this to bed, we have standards of quality, and this head did not meet those standards. Return it and I will refund you, happy now?

If you want a $10k motor like these, or want to put $30k into national show car winning restorations just let me know, when can build you one of those too.

The offer in red is a dang good solution. 

• Like 3

Alright, OP has vented, business has vented.  At this point, there isn't any clear solution other than those two coming to some agreement.  It will only get worse from here, so I'd say lock this thread up.  Datzenmike?

There is an agreed upon solution. Once the matter is closed we can lock the thread. 

• Like 2

Up here in canada, eh.. It would be alot more than that.

Id charge at least 350 before parts, nevermind the core!

Im thinking more like 800-1000 to do that head properly in the great white north.

HRH your getting a hell of a deal.

No way man, I was just quoted 350 for a full rebuild on a head in s'toon