9" wide wheels, without flares - stanced 510s

arabian_ryda

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The rim fits and stretching the tire was the original plan. You and raZor ramon mentioned i would hit the outer fender and control arm etc etc and i cleared them. I can run them without trimming them. i didnt custom order these wheels either i did it not knowing how far or close i would be to the fender lip.

Now to fine tune it for additional 4mm of clearance and have the rim tuck properly without touching control arm, strut or fender lip, i think thats pretty damn good calculations.

Wasnt the original argument it would not tuck without flares?

I will run these for the most part but i will hAve a second set on hand. For the sticky tires to go on.

Have the ass lifted up and camber at 0 for that setup.

I'm looking at the same pictue and it does not fit. Even above you mention that it needs trimming to not touch the fender.

rimzz_zps489ef467.jpg

Guys keep this on topic.

I wouldn't go that far.  Many new rims are made from the same casting and the offset is changed by more or less machining on the hub face.  I believe the VTO wheels are all like that (I could be wrong, somebody please correct me if so).  I would be willing to bet that there is a good amount of material in the hub area that could be machined off.  The only thing I would be worried about is the thickness from the lug seat to the hub mounting surface.

VTO Wheels can be ordered with a custom offset. You need to start with an undrilled wheel. Machine the wheel mounting surface (WMS) to the proper offset and then drill the lug holes.

The problem with machining the WMS on a predriilled wheel is the tapered seat for the lug nuts is set at a pre determined distance from the WMS. Machining the WMS 3-4mm will generally leave too little material making the wheel structurally deficient. It may work, but my advice on pre-drilled wheels is to not change offset by machining the WMS.

• Like 5

So all car enthusiasts in japan and else where must to retarded running stectched wheels and negative camber and the good ol boys at ratsun north america are the experts that know there wheel geometry down to a tee !! We should send a few of you over there to teach them what can and cant be done on the car they produced.

To the select few that gave some constructive comments thank you.

The only real comments where acually the people that have tryed and tested negative cAmber and tire stretch.

The rest of the keyboard jockey can have the rest of the thread. You ladys can have your safety meeting now and talk about how much you hate something youve never tryed before and know little about.

Stay tuned for the other crazy shit im gonn be doin to my car. Im sure to rattle some feather. The rest of you can all run strips and libre or watanabes wheels and see how kool and original you really are.

True, Libre owners know better

jcca_new_years_meeting_odaiba_036_zpsd21

Remember, the beauty of the internet is we don't have to face each other and will say anything.

Build it, show up and it wont be so bad. We will actually compliment you on the things we like and for the most part keep our mouths shut about the rest.

• Like 1

VTO Wheels can be ordered with a custom offset. You need to start with an undrilled wheel. Machine the wheel mounting surface (WMS) to the proper offset and then drill the lug holes.

The problem with machining the WMS on a predriilled wheel is the tapered seat for the lug nuts is set at a pre determined distance from the WMS. Machining the WMS 3-4mm will generally leave too little material making the wheel structurally deficient. It may work, but my advice on pre-drilled wheels is to not change offset by machining the WMS.

So i am going to agree to dis agree, I do know for a fact if you have enough material it can be done, How do I know you ask because I have had it done before, But yes if you are running enough material for strength then it should not be done..And by the way my experience is with billet wheels so there might be slight diffrences but all in all the same.

• Like 1

So all car enthusiasts in japan and else where must to retarded running stectched wheels and negative camber and the good ol boys at ratsun north america are the experts that know there wheel geometry down to a tee !! We should send a few of you over there to teach them what can and cant be done on the car they produced.

The only real comments where acually the people that have tryed and tested negative cAmber and tire stretch.

The rest of the keyboard jockey can have the rest of the thread. You ladys can have your safety meeting now and talk about how much you hate something youve never tryed before and know little about.

Stay tuned for the other crazy shit im gonn be doin to my car. Im sure to rattle some feather. The rest of you can all run strips and libre or watanabes wheels and see how kool and original you really are.

Just for the record you dont have to get shitty about the feedback, you posted a question in the front end and now you dont like the answers in the back end. Some guys are a little harsher then others but time and time again people do things to there Datsuns and never follow through with it due to mainly MONEY and Getting in deeper then there skills allow them. With that said it is your car and do what you please but guys just hate seeing cars scrapped or put out in the pasture because of new car designs gone bad or lack of funding. No one here hates you just a lot of passonite people.

• Like 4

This post shows your newbness. Anyone that knows their ass from their elbow knows Japanese car culture is an extremely variable bunch. Sure there are tons of cars over there running herra frush, Lux, VIP, and other insane setups...those styles are admittedly form over function. No one anywhere that wants function first runs stupid camber. Watch Against all odds, you won't see Morton or Downs running retarded camber. It is your car and you can ruin it as you like but don't get butthurt and go all PlayStation tuffguy because you asked a question and don't like the answers from more experienced people. Build it, finish it, show up to an event and you'll at least get respect for doing that.

• Like 5

This is what I find amusing.

The Ryda presents a question, and the consensus among the people answering is NO you should go with a wheel and tire combo that is proper for the car. Then the Ryda has issues with how people have said its a bad idea. Gets offended and says anyone contrary of his thoughts is an idiot.

He knew the direction he wanted to go from the start and asked a moot question just to validate his choice of direction.

Validation FAIL

• Like 9

You come here and ask a question, multiple competent people including Dave (who has been building and racing 510's for about as long as I've been alive) gave you answers with examples of their concerns and you fire back with: you bunch if keyboard jockeys don't know what you're talking about. If you don't want criticisms or even answers then don't ask the questions.

• Like 2

So all car enthusiasts in japan and else where must to retarded running stectched wheels and negative camber and the good ol boys at ratsun north america are the experts that know there wheel geometry down to a tee !!

Enthusiasts don't mental camber or stretch tires. They go to the track. Perhaps you mean aficionados?

But really, folks here aren't trying to be mean. Well some are, but that's not avoidable online. Mostly we just don't like seeing cars get messed up for no reason. Would you get surgery to get shoes to fit? If yes, fuck it, proceed! If no, you respect your body more than your car. Most of us don't...

Umm ....  No, actually they are not. All drivers who are serious about performance driving and handling will do it right. However in all societies there are those who do things just because they can, to be different, to show off, be rebellious, follow a fad simply to fit in with this group. A cry for attention. YES they can be most retarded (your word) if their behavior is too dangerous to themselves and others. 

How dare YOU talk about wheel geometry!

Here is the definition of retarded. Drive car to show or parking lot. Remove steelies and 7" tires. Replace with 16X9s and stretched 4" wide tread tires. Lower car carefully over rim edge to 25 degree negative camber and show off to crowd. Brag about how you showed everyone how to do something that can't be done. Wait till everyone leaves and swap your 'sensible shoes' back on and drive home.

The only real comments where acually the people that have tryed and tested negative cAmber and tire stretch. The rest of the keyboard jockey can have the rest of the thread. You ladys can have your safety meeting now and talk about how much you hate something youve never tryed before and know little about.

You're welcome from all of us. However those comments sadly, were ignored for those that only agreed with you. I don't need to try tire stretch or mad camber to see that it can be done, nor how retarded it is or looks. Sure it can be done... so what? Is there some magic advantage to running tires this way other than to follow a fad? be different, to show off? be rebellious?

Well perhaps be more honest in your next thread than you were in your first....

im in the process of doing a 16x8 front and 16x9 rear, 0 offset setup on my 1970 510 sedan. I have all my fenders rolled and rears are lightly pulled. ive been having trouble finding photos and information on a setup like this even finding a set of wheels with these specs is very hard. either its impossible or no one has done it as of yet.

anyone have a setup like this or similar? stanced out datsuns shouldn't be a dime a dozen lol. lets see what setups yall running for that phat look.

If you were going mad camber and stretch tire you should have said so right off and saved people trying to help you do it right. Yours and my idea of a well stanced car is completely different.

• Like 4

Please excuse me but the whole texting acronym thing is way newer than my skill set (or phone). Remember my last truly street driven 510 was in 1984 (but I still race one)

So I'm trying to figure out IBTL

and ALL I can come up with is "Itty Bitty Titty Lover" which I know Datrod would post ROFLMAO.

SO, now that this thread has totally derailed and I have consulted the Urban Dictionary I too will be ---

IBTL

• Like 2

I will run these for the most part but i will hAve a second set on hand. For the sticky tires to go on.

Have the ass lifted up and camber at 0 for that setup.

If you had included the above statment, I believe most of us who think about handling and safety, would not have commented.

What the guys do in Japan is mostly done to the newer, post 1980 cars, not the 510.  Most of them with the crazy stretch etc, are just like you, driving it under 40 mph on  crowded downtown street, around the corner to local car meet, to show off what a crazy extreme look on a current trend.

I generalized by saying "most", generalizing from Psycology 101 in college, is not a good thing to do, but phrased such to not offend.

I work many years as a Mechanical Engineer and have a hard time dismissing designed safety issues, not a specific trend look.  I have my opionion on what I thinks looks good, make my car as close to what I like, and enjoy it.  Build your car how you want it, run 2 sets of tires, paint it camo, but don't ask all of us to like it, the more extreme you go, the less you will have people liking it.

Most guys with this trend

restored-1985-chevy-caprice-classic-for-

arabian_ryda idea of this trend

lifted-chevy-caprice-light-blue-box.jpg

Just one guy trying to "one up", the previous guy.  Remember guys getting killed or mugged for "spinner rims", and costing $10,000 a set?  Now you can't give them away or seem them on the road.

I'm staying old school, if that's waht you call it, and leave the new trends to the young.