9" wide wheels, without flares - stanced 510s

arabian_ryda

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this is what we are discussing and trying to figure out. it might it might not. but by the looks of it, it might just clear. if I have clearance issues with the outer fender then I will go with a diff size but retain the 0 offset. im trying to get the rim as close to the outer fender as possible without contact. I have a roll plus the door jam bump smoothed out.

I would have never attempted this setup without seeing the photos and sizes of indys 510 on random google searches over the last few years. but his attempts got me curious as to what could be done with the wheel size I have chosen.

I wont be as low as indys car, just lightly tucking tire with a heavy spring rate to minimize suspension flex/clearance. if they do clear I will also modify my bump stops and make them taller. call it what you will , I know this community is very diverse and what im doing isn't exactly a common choice for some 510 fans but ive never been much to follow the rules or what others have attempted. Ive never daily driven my 510 its a weekend driver. my car has always been a street machine, no intention to autox or drift or anything crazy. i baby my ride like its a new born child. any lowered 510 is going to have camber issues in regards to tire wear weather its a 13x6 or 17x9.

69datsun510 I highly doubt you got anywhere close to 50,000km or miles on a set of tires on a lowered 510 with stock rear cross member.

a slotted crossmember I think would ruin the 510s geometry. the wishbone rear suspension is legendary in these cars. did team BRE have a modified rear cross members when they where running there racecars back in the day? I highly doubt it but not 100 sure.

My white car was only lowered 1 inch, having 16's helps the car look lower, and the camber and toe results were not as severe as cars you are familiar with. I did get the mileage, but I can't change your belief system on that, it is what it is.  Lots of that is on what brand and model tire you have.

The slotted xross member does not "ruin" the suspension design, it helps bring the suspension geometry on a lowered car to original geometry, and gives you the ability to adjust the geometry to give the car whatever handling characteristic you are seeking.

I'm not sure on what set ups Brock Racing Industries, not fimiliar with what the rules were for their class of racing.  You can bet they did whatever they could to get as much adjustment out of the suspension to help the car handle better then the stock set up.

I believe they ran rear jack screw set up over the rear springs to be able to adjust the rear ride height, pre load, etc.  This didn't help them with camber or toe independent from height adjustment.  They may have just changed spring rates and heights to do the same, but would be more work getting the set up tuned.

DPR22.jpg

I think we are all on the same page with if you can accomplish getting this set up on your car, what you do to get it done, and what it looks like.

Let's see some pics when you get it done.  Or what set up you end up with.  Some say you can do it, some of us say you can't without modifying the outer fender, that's all it comes down too.

For you, I hope you get your car to look how you want it too, it's your ride.  What the rest of us think doesn't matter, you are driving it.

Every time I see this thread bumping back to the top, I keep wanting to add something constructive.

And every time I start typing a reply, there is this little voice in my head that keeps saying "you can't fix stupid" and I hit delete.

Not sure what happened this time, I must have hit the post key by mistake, Sorry!

• Like 5

Dammit shark-tip! I was gonna make a rooks rike herra frush comment.

I'm not and old guy but I still can't understand ruining the handling of a classic just to roll gaudy assed bling rims. In my not so humble opinion, that shit belongs on a honduh with a gtr wing along with the stupidity of stretched tires and all the other look at me unsafe things people embarrass their cars with. I had some dumb assed plans for my dime when I was 22, thanks to my upbringing, I listened to my more experienced datsun elders and didn't do 99% of the things I had planned. 13 years later, after maturing a bit more, I can't stand the type of mods I was contemplating.

To the op, it is your car and I respect your right to be completely wrong, ruin it as you see fit.

rimzz_zps489ef467.jpg

FRONT ARE 16X8

Imagine the fronts 1/2" inwards, plus tire. Soon as you turn the rubber will catch the fender. (even a 'stretched tire') The fender will have to be at least as high as the top of the tire for it to turn outwards... and this doesn't address hitting any bumps while turning.

I wont be running this low front or rear but want to make sure not to hit the body over hard turns and bumps, driveways. Ill make it work. Not doing any mods to the body or fenders. Its not the ideal setup but i like it like this. My front fenders are rolled aswell.

With 280zx front struts you should be fine .. the problem is finding a 16" tire narrower than 195, to match the tire stretch in the rear

do you think you'll need to run 205 or 195 in the back? .. I want to find some 185/45/16 tires for the front of my current project