2015 CANBY TRUCK

denmarkboy

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really remember the extent of body damage, but metal has memory and when it's strectched and you hammer back cold it can "oil can" so some light heat will expand the metal, so when hammered into place it cools and is more ridged, also once you start bondo it needs to stay dry and and sealed within a reasonable time,

Also roughing the bondoed areas with something like 30-40 grit before the spread helps the filler adhere

• Like 3

Don't have much body work experience, but I'll be there to lend a hand with anything needing to be done. Finally got a weekend off!

Mklotz, I'll be up in Portland later today if you'll have it sorted by then. Pm me if so and we'll go from there.

If you can operate a sander, a wire wheel, or a cutoff wheel... you're qualified!

• Like 2

It's just sheet metal....will a propane torch warm it up enough?  I know for hardcore shrinking, you need to get it red hot and quench it. 

On the tailgate chains....I'm pretty sure I got all of it at Home Depot.  If you come up with something better, great, but it's fairly cheap and clean if you don't.  I tightened the end connectors down with a wrench to keep them from walking away too easily. :)

• Like 1

It's just sheet metal....will a propane torch warm it up enough?  I know for hardcore shrinking, you need to get it red hot and quench it. 

On the tailgate chains....I'm pretty sure I got all of it at Home Depot.  If you come up with something better, great, but it's fairly cheap and clean if you don't.  I tightened the end connectors down with a wrench to keep them from walking away too easily. :)

Running full blast can cut 6" steel plate!!

I have chain stock...but need links 4 ends. I suggest getting stainless quicklinks.......don't rust

• Like 2

I'm gonna make some gate chains out of aircraft cable and send them down.

Mike- I had the same idea about the quick links that you did - definitely doing that

I can make 'em this week. 

Denmarkboy - I do need to know the length between the eye-hooks from bed to gate, though. - My 720 doesn't have the same rig so I have nothing to copy  :)

• Like 4

I'm gonna make some gate chains out of aircraft cable and send them down.

Mike- I had the same idea about the quick links that you did - definitely doing that

I can make 'em this week. 

Denmarkboy - I do need to know the length between the eye-hooks from bed to gate, though. - My 720 doesn't have the same rig so I have nothing to copy  :)

I will look into the length today, unless someone else is able to get it to you first. 

• Like 1

IMAG3727_1_zpsxsu6zjqf.jpg
“DATSUN DRIVING CANBY FUN”
In celebration Datsuns Northwest is going to give away a 1970 Datsun 521 truck.
The truck is a 1970 Datsun 521, 1600, 4 speed truck.
The truck is being donated to Datsuns Northwest by Denmarkboy & Datslocos Datsun Club of California/Oregon/washigton

TICKET INFO : 5 DOLLARS EACH . LIMIT OF 200 TICKETS PER PERSON

ALL PROCEEDS FROM THE RAFFLE WILL BE GOING TO CHARITY CHOOSEN BY : Datsuns Northwest
The finished truck will be raffled off at the 2015 10th annual “DATSUN DRIVING CANBY FUN” event on Sunday at the awards presentation. Raffle tickets will be sold at the event only and will be $5.00 each, must be present to win. The winner will receive a legal drivable 521 truck.

DONATED  CANBY TRUCK PARTS :    DONATED BY :                                                 
FRONT BRAKES & KING PIN ....................................................mklotz70

SEATS & DOOR CARDS    ..........................................................................ratdat3
PARTS TRANSPORT & LABOR / FOOD / ROAD TRIP............................. hobospyder
TRANSPORTATION ................................................................................... eagle_adam
DASH BOARD ............................................................................................. uberkevin
IGNITION SYSTEM & SWITCHES  ............................................................. charlie69
TRANSPORTATION .................................................................................... fastdadd
FRONT TURN LENSES ............................................................................... skyblue
POWDER COATING ..................................................................................... jrock4224
HOOD AND LABOR ...................................................................................... jester
KNOBS & SHIFTER ...................................................................................... mattndew76
521 TRUCK ................................................................................................... datslocos & denmarkboy
INFORMATION AND SUPPORT .................................................................... ratsun
EVENT & RAFFLE ......................................................................................... datsuns northwest
PAYPAL & TOWING ....................................................................................... bowtie towing aka "Evil Santa"
BUILD BOARD & GRAPHICS ......................................................................... the graphics shop
STREERING WHEEL & WING WINDOWS & HUBS........................................ wayno  
RATSUN GRILL BADGE & RATSUN SHIFT KNOB ....................................... Dime Dave 
CRAZY ROAD TRIP TO DONATE LABOR ......................................................Busta Nut
LABOR & ROAD TRIP ......................................................................................Farmer
CRAZY ROAD TRIP & LABOR ........................................................................ Eastbay521 & copilot
LABOR / LUNCH / LIQUIDS & REAR BRAKES................................................ Draker
HUB CAP .......................................................................................................... 67_1600
ENGINE  REBUILD ........................................................................................... Datsun life
REAR BRAKES  ................................................................................................ ]2eDeYe
FUNDRAISING DONATION .............................................................................. Kirden
PAINTER & PAINT BOOTH / PAINT/ LABOR.....................................................scooter stuff 
FUNDRAISING DONATION .............................................................................. Seansm 10
DOGLEG 5 SPEED  &  TIRES   ......................................................................... harlow
DONATION / LABOR / ROAD TRIP / TRANSPORTAION................................. Rick-rat
DOOR RUBBERS  & LED LIGHTS ................................................................... Tendril
LABOR ................................................................................................................ Hogie
LABOR ................................................................................................................ h5wagaon
LABOR ................................................................................................................ Rhino13 

BODY PANEL DIPPING ...................................................................................... maltese

TAILGATE CABLES ............................................................................................ arizonajones

PAYPAL DONATIONS CAN BE MADE : Tbowtie@comcast.netplease make donations as a gift , to avoid 8% fee per transaction.

PAYPAL DONATIONS :    ]2eDeYe   a6m-zero  Justin Berni    hobosyder

Charlie69  Gradyfest   zed 1     Lime D. ZezE     Janksun

THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU DONATING PARTS AND LABOR .
       87acd5a1-0505-4d71-a241-5bcdeb938755_zps                                                 1d791ab1-3748-43bd-97f2-c07f109ed680_zps
                                                                          header-image3_zpsxw6uiqjj.jpg
     674f4a1e-2d87-4617-81ea-5657144c2d80_zps                                                                  90b3f0fb-7cb3-4e14-bf87-df29436a0d9a_zps

40c7a9ca-81d8-44ba-ad9d-f9c72acf06c8_zps                        d3868d73-2225-4f98-b3e4-78ee29a0f58e_zps   1f652a55-984d-4366-9332-ef29def30cf7_zps                           2d81198a-0c7e-473e-8f0a-2478503cd800_zpssnapback.png
 ffa48b98-84b5-473c-81ca-598527282b62_zps1397610931_zpsfrrq03zl.pnghttp://www.bluehandsinc.com          http://eugenegraphicsshop.com           http://www.youtube.c.../bluehandsvideo.
 http://datsunsnw.org              http://www.md-machinist.com        http://www.futofab.com/                       

https://www.facebook...939484376066394      

PARTS STILL NEEDED FOR THE BUILD                                                                            labor                                                                                                        transportation                                                                                            window felts 

labor                                                                                          gas tank refurbish                        trans mount fab                           body work

• Like 1

19 1/2 inches, from the outside edge of the loops, the edge farthest from each other.

I think Datwifey found some clear heat shrink tubing that would fit over the hooks on stock chains, and Fry's electronics. 

Stock tailgate chains tend to jump off the loops when going over a speed bump, with an empty truck.  The closed quick link would prevent that.

• Like 5

I will look into the length today, unless someone else is able to get it to you first. 

I just measured the ones in the pick.  They're 19-1/4" from the inside of the links.....where they're pulling on the u-bolts of the truck.  This tail gate is a hair high, so I'd go with 19-1/2"....just like DanielC came up with.

• Like 4

I just measured the ones in the pick.  They're 19-1/4" from the inside of the links.....where they're pulling on the u-bolts of the truck.  This tail gate is a hair high, so I'd go with 19-1/2"....just like DanielC came up with.

19 1/2 inches, from the outside edge of the loops, the edge farthest from each other.

I think Datwifey found some clear heat shrink tubing that would fit over the hooks on stock chains, and Fry's electronics. 

Stock tailgate chains tend to jump off the loops when going over a speed bump, with an empty truck.  The closed quick link would prevent that.

Perfect. Thanks guys! I'm jumping on it!

• Like 3

what's the plan for tomorrow? Do we need more air?

I can bring:

Air compressor

DA Sander

Body hammers

Dolleys

Drill and wire wheels

Extension cords

I've got a gallon of body filler. Actual bondo brand.. with hardender.

I've got some paint stripper also.

Anything else?

• Like 1

Long hours are makin for slow updates ......Sorry ! 

So I talked (text) to Scooter yesterday, And thanks to the donation made by " maltese " the dip shop operator has offered to dip the entire truck minus the bed . Well I haven't had time to call him yet and confirm schedule yet . but scooter said I could start bring panels over anytime .

The only concern now would be pulling the windshield , it does have 2 small rock chips that need filled , but otherwise its good , no separating or fogging . Thats one of the reasons I wasn't going to pull it .. So I'm open to suggestions on what to do here ,

On one hand if we dip the cab,we will have to pull all the glass , But on the other hand how do we not dip it ?  I mean this is next level shit for anyones build . And to good of a deal to pass up . not to mention the the labor and time this will save.

windshield guru chime in here please 

Suggestions ? Input ? 

• Like 2

Cut the rubber completely out of the way when you pull the windshield. As long as the chips are near an edge you should be able to work with it just fine. Warm it up a bit before you reinstall it. 

I can donate for new rubber. 

You guys need more lunch money? :)

• Like 4

Thanks Steve ,

I think if pulling the window happens I will eat the cost of my window guy coming over and pulling it , instead of risking breaking it . 

Sure , I got the guys burgers the last go around , Thanks for that by the way . 

Today we should be able to prep the bed and get the rest of the parts ready to go to the dip shop . And I will make the call today and find out if i can take that stuff over first thing this week . 

Mon O man , we are gonna have a complete truck again before you know it . 

I would like to thank Scooter stuff again amazing contributions to the build  , and evil santa aka bowtie towing for hauling all the parts around locally . And ]2eDeye for many work party lunches . 

Thanks everyone 

• Like 2

Is the rubber seal around the windshield hard?  if it is cut the seal and remove the windshield.  On my 66 520 the windshield seal was still soft and pliable so I used plastic tools from Harbor Freight to remove the windshield.

This took 2 people and I do not recommend you doing this if the rubber seal is not real soft.

First I took the small wedge shaped tool and ran it all the around the inside and outside of the windshield to release any bond between the rubber and the glass.  If the has been any type of adhesive sealer used on the seal stop as this may cause you to brake the windshield.

After the seal was loosened all around inside and outside, I took the angled tool and pried the bottom corner out of the seal.  Only pry the glass clear of the rubber.  Leave that tool wedged under the glass.  Take  another tool and work along the bottom edge.  Slowly your work your way along the the bottom and up the side.  This I where 2 people come in as 1 works onside and the other works the other side.  Alternate doing the bottom and up the "A" pillar (side) keeping both the drivers side and passenger side even in the progress.  After you have the bottom and the 2 sides pried out you should be able remove the wind shield with a person on each side.

It is critical that you run the wide wedge shaped ends all the way around the inside and outside of the windshield to loosen the rubber and also to test for sealant additive.

Be sure that you keep th tools holding the rubber under the glass as you continue to pry the the glass out.

4845d1303585391-panel-removal-tools-unti

• Like 1

When this started, I thought the goal was for a nice driver, but holy cow is this over the top!!!!  I'm definitely going to buy a ticket, but just one......cause if I win, I'll feel obligated to donate Mend for next year.......so definitely only one ticket!!!  :)

Awesome work guys!!!  This has gone from a "cool, nice gesture" to "I'm damn proud to be a part of this!!!"  :)

• Like 9

thanks to Harlow , Draker , Rhino 13 , 

We did do a lot of work , got the doors , fenders , cab , all ready to dip , craig got me to try the pulling the windshield after the back went so smooth . And we got it out with now damage . 

And thanks to Steve for lunch ! you rock , as usual sir ! 

IMAG0283_zpsbzrykolj.jpgIMAG0284_zpskvpw75wj.jpgIMAG0285_zpsykozt1y7.jpgIMAG0286_zps1fje73ad.jpgIMAG0289_zpsqe3j3wbc.jpgIMAG0291_zpskuveiuh3.jpgIMAG0292_zpsre6j6mjb.jpgIMAG0294_zpsuzri4hzu.jpgIMAG0295_zpsxesp38hc.jpgIMAG0298_zpseht02jde.jpg

• Like 4