• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KoHeartsGPA

• datzenmike

• Draker

• a.d._510_n_ok

Top Posters In This Topic

Congress has handed Trump a historic presidential victory

President Donald Trump should give special thanks to two U.S. Senators this Thanksgiving weekend. One is still serving in the Senate, the other recently retired. One is a Republican. The other a Democrat. And what should President Trump be thanking them for? Quite simply they have handed him one of the biggest victories any president could claim in the past 45 years.

Yes, this has happened even as one of the most widely covered stories of the past year has been President Trump's difficulties in working with Congress. The growing rift between him and Republican Senators John McCain, Jeff Flake, and Bob Corker alone has made headlines for months. For a U.S. president to have this many public feuds with senators from his own party this early in his presidency is really unprecedented and makes for hot news copy.

But that story ignores a bigger and longer-lasting development in the federal judiciary. That brings us first to naming the Republican gift giver: Senator Chuck Grassley from Iowa. The longtime member of Congress has big time clout as the Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee. And Grassley has just used that clout to eliminate one of the final hurdles in the already furious pace of Trump administration judicial appointments to the federal bench.

Late last week, Grassley decided not to honor a Senate tradition of holding up hearings for judicial nominees who aren't cleared by their own home state senators. That tradition is known as the "blue slip courtesy" born out of time before nationwide communication technology when a given state's senators had access to much more information about nominees than their colleagues from the rest of the country. Grassley correctly noted that Democrats were now trying to use the blue slips tradition to replace the filibuster, and he's having none of that. As recently as last month, the Democrats and much of the news media's punditry were expecting Grassley, who is no fan of the president, to keep the blue slip tradition in place. But Grassley gave Trump this very special gift instead.

And that brings us to the Democrat who provided the initial generous source of President Trump's solid triumph: Former Senate Majority Leader, and Democrat, Harry Reid. Reid is a major reason this good fortune has befallen President Trump because Reid was the one who killed the filibuster rule for judicial nominees in 2013. And when he killed it, it was gone for good.

The nominees sent to the Senate from the White House are more conservative and even younger than what we saw during President George W. Bush's two terms in office.

So on this Thanksgiving weekend the most grateful person in America should be President Trump. An unlikely set of benefactors has truly given him the political gift that will keep on giving.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/24/trum...ommentary.html

"Born out of time before nationwide communication technology"... Like our constitution?

There should be no shortage of checks and balances when it comes to supreme justices. There should be no higher importance in our government than balanced, qualifies justices. There is no room for partisan bullshit in the only bastion of hope in our fucked up system. Don't fuck with the Supreme Court. I'd be just as loud if Hillary were pushing her picks.

New App Helps People Find Businesses Owned By Black People

"Any black own business can go on there and they can sign up to have their business listed so they can gain more exposure,” said Mandy Bowman, CEO of Official Black Wall Street.

It’s called the “Official Black Wall Street” app and it’s aimed to help promote black entrepreneurs. Business owners can list their shop’s location and description. Then, shoppers can search by category to find nearby businesses. The app then alerts you when you’re near a black-owned business.

“I immediately signed up,” said Miasha Helton, who just downloaded the app. “I think everyone should jump on board.”

Helton owns It’s My Hair Salon in Sacramento. Using the app, she’s hopeful new clients will be able to find her business.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2017/...-black-people/

New App Helps People Find Businesses Owned By Black People

"Any black own business can go on there and they can sign up to have their business listed so they can gain more exposure,” said Mandy Bowman, CEO of Official Black Wall Street.

It’s called the “Official Black Wall Street” app and it’s aimed to help promote black entrepreneurs. Business owners can list their shop’s location and description. Then, shoppers can search by category to find nearby businesses. The app then alerts you when you’re near a black-owned business.

“I immediately signed up,” said Miasha Helton, who just downloaded the app. “I think everyone should jump on board.”

Helton owns It’s My Hair Salon in Sacramento. Using the app, she’s hopeful new clients will be able to find her business.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2017/...-black-people/

In Chicago this would be handy for staying away too.

2017_junk_shots_112017.png

These are wannabee gangstas who stuff their piece down their pants with finger on the trigger and blow off their 'junk' or, blow it off grabbing for it, or scratching their nuts. You don't want to be nearby.

A p[person is shot every 2.5 minutes.

A person is murdered every 12.5 hours.

Shot & Killed: 578

Shot & Wounded: 2732

Total Shot: 3310

Total Homicides: 626

Carjacks 756 and 45 arrests or 6% clearance rats. Safer to jack a car than ride the bus.

2017_ass_shots_112017.png

2017_selfie_111317.png

race-2017_112017.png

In Chicago this would be handy for staying away too.

2017_junk_shots_112017.png

These are wannabee gangstas who stuff their piece down their pants with finger on the trigger and blow off their 'junk' or, blow it off grabbing for it, or scratching their nuts. You don't want to be nearby.

A p[person is shot every 2.5 minutes.

A person is murdered every 12.5 hours.

Shot & Killed: 578

Shot & Wounded: 2732

Total Shot: 3310

Total Homicides: 626

Carjacks 756 and 45 arrests or 6% clearance rats. Safer to jack a car than ride the bus.2017_ass_shots_112017.png

2017_selfie_111317.png

race-2017_112017.png

Ha, ha, ha.

Murica!

And that's just ONE city.

2017 Cost of Stupidity

*Costs assume the following:

• $55,000: Average gunshot victim ER and hospital expenses.
  • $1000: Average CFD ambulance ride, only applicable to 80% of victims, rest self-transport.
  • $800: Homicide-related autopsies.
  • Doesn’t include hospice care or ongoing rehabilitation.

Cost estimates provided by Chicago Killings Cost $2.5 Billion and The bill for treating a gunshot wound: $21,000 for the first 35 minutes.

Last year, this extended weekend put up July 4th-like numbers. This year, we’re looking for more booze-infused domestics, shopping idiocy and run-of-the-mill Chicago stupidity than a summer weekend rerun.

9:00a Shoot-o-Rahm-a Tally: 5 killed, 23 wounded
2016 Thanksgiving weekend: 11 killed, 64 wounded
2015 Thanksgiving weekend: 9 killed, 22 wounded
2014 Thanksgiving weekend: 5 killed, 23 wounded
2013 Thanksgiving weekend: 4 killed, 12 wounded

• Like 1

2017_murder_trend_112517.png

Through end of October. So that leaves 61 days or 1464 hours @ 1 every 12.35 hrs... about 118 more possible and a total of barely 700 at year end. I don't think this is going to meet 2016. Probably the cooler weather.

one of *THE* most underappreciated songs of the early 1990s. it got kinda lost in the ocean of grunge. by the late '90s its light, pop-y style was the norm.

Lame, lame, lame; college rock for college people.

I dealt cocaine to 10,000 Maniacs fan at the U.W. Madison when I was there in the 80's.

It was always stepped on at least 50% with mannitol and they always gave the best reviews of it.

The Racist, Twisted History of Tipping

Gratuities were once an excuse to shortchange black people. In fact, they still are.

On the surface, tipping seems little more than a reward for astute recommendations and polite, speedy service. But the practice has unsavory roots, as Saru Jayaraman, a labor activist and author of Forked: A New Standard for American Dining, told me during a taping of Bite, the new food and politics podcast from Mother Jones. The origin of the word is unclear—one theory says “tip” is shorthand for “to insure promptness”; another suggests it’s from 17th-century thief slang meaning “to give.” In any case, European aristocrats popularized the habit of slipping gratuities to their hosts’ servants, and by the mid-1800s rich Americans, hoping to flaunt their European sophistication, had brought the practice home.

Restaurants and rail operators, notably Pullman, embraced tipping primarily, Jayaraman says, because it enabled them to save money by hiring newly freed slaves to work for tips alone. Plenty of Americans frowned upon the practice, and a union-led movement begat bans on tipping in several states. The fervor spread to Europe, too, before fizzling in the United States—by 1926, the state tipping bans had been repealed.

The racist origins of tipping persist, meanwhile, in the take-home wages of nonwhite restaurant workers, who earn 56 percent less than their white colleagues. In one study, researchers at Cornell University and Mississippi College found that customers at an unnamed national chain restaurant—even the black customers—tipped white servers better than black servers. This disparity, the researchers noted, could in theory render the tipped minimum wage unlawful.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2016/04/restaurants-tipping-racist-origins-saru-jayaraman-forked/

Whites are moving back to Inglewood. There goes our neighborhood.

Several years ago, a woman who lives around the corner in Inglewood told me a story common to black people who were among the first to move into once-white cities. She and her husband bought their house in 1967. Every day that summer, she said, her next-door neighbor came out on his porch, glaring. Whenever he saw her, this white man shouted not a greeting, but a question: Why are you here? In a few months, he was gone, along with pretty much every other white family on the block.

I grew up in and around Inglewood and have lived here for the last 13 years. Walking home with my dogs three weeks ago, I was approached by a young white woman who, like me, is an animal lover. Turns out she and her husband had moved into the neighborhood recently. “We like it so far,” she said brightly. Like it? I felt a rush of resentment at a remark that to her, I’m sure, was perfectly innocent. All I could think was: White folks abandoned Inglewood, and now they’re coming back with no memory or acknowledgment of all that, expecting neighborliness?

Gentrification is big news all over L.A., and working-class and lower-income people across the county stand to lose a lot from its advance. They already have. But black people in particular will feel the sting. We will be out not just apartments and homes we can afford to rent or pay the mortgage on. We will lose our space, our place.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-kaplan-inglewood-gentrification-20171126-story.html

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Upside-Down-Christmas-Tree-at-Iconic-Hotel-Gets-Mixed-Reviews--459429593.html

"I was very surprised when I saw it," said Kathy Parker, a hotel guest. "In a traditional, old hotel like this, a traditional tree would be keeping with the hotel."

This is not the first time the Hotel Del Coronado has tried something new for Christmas. On the lawn of the hotel, you can see the world's first outdoor tree that was electrically-lighted for Christmas. That happened in 1904.

What?