• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KoHeartsGPA

• datzenmike

• Draker

• a.d._510_n_ok

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah. I don't care for unions one bit. Yes they did serve their purpose. Unquestionably. But I don't blame Dems for education. That was the right. They are the ones making the DOE an issue.

How can you claim that when the Dems has been controlling education for the past 50+ years?...you can't have it both ways, bro....

The issue to me is that it is underfunded. Which conservatives adamantly oppose. I'd swap the defense budget with the education budget.

It's not underfunded, like the military and healthcare, it is undermanaged, too much burocracy sucking up the funds on unnecessary things, my Uncle was a custodian at several middle schools in SoCal, you wouldn't believe the stuff they throw away at the end of each school year just to comply with the minimum spending quotas in order to get a budget increase for the next year, from furniture that's couple years old to electronics (tvs, dvd players, computers, etc etc) and this happens nationwide, i have a friend here in Eugene working as custodian, same story.

No its not underfunded, its undermanaged.

• Like 3

The issue to me is that it is underfunded. Which conservatives adamantly oppose. I'd swap the defense budget with the education budget.

I wonder if education is underfunded solely because of budgeting? maybe the money isn't reaching the kiddos in the classroom because of overly bureaucratized and redundant education admin?

it's like the minimum wage argument: do I think employers could bump it up a few bucks? sure. do I think the government could help out some by cutting or even eliminating taxes on minimum wage earners? I sure do. I don't understand why the same people who feel corporations have no right to their profits believe the government can tax workers for as much as they wish without a thought as to how taxes diminish a living wage.

maybe some unnecessary school admin can be cut and those funds redirected to classrooms? allocate more funds for the schools but also do away with some redundant admin? not accept that any and all school admins are necessary just because the government created the position? let a government worker take a hit instead of demanding more taxes from the private sector?

I dunno - room for improvement on both ends.

• Like 2

First the media are and have recently been shown to be tools of the government anyway. These briefings are just for propaganda, so what? It's saber rattling. The Russians need the press there to propagandize the west so they will..... do.... fuck all.

Our school systems are not underfunded,they have more than enough money to waste on things that dont educate.What they do with the money is the problem.

• Like 2

Our school systems are not underfunded,they have more than enough money to waste on things that dont educate.What they do with the money is the problem.

Unless you are going to volunteer your time to micromanage district spending...

They need better staff. If they are paying salaries that attracted elites we would have better schools. If people were fighting to get in to those jobs, poor performers would be replaced/never advance. Right now, people work at public schools because they love kids, or education, or they want to help. Fucking Lawyers get paid more than teachers. In no way do I want lawyer to be the better paid profession. Teachers should be making good money, and fighting to keep their job. Same with admin.

They need better staff. If they are paying salaries that attracted elites we would have better schools. If people were fighting to get in to those jobs, poor performers would be replaced/never advance. Right now, people work at public schools because they love kids, or education, or they want to help. Fucking Lawyers get paid more than teachers. In no way do I want lawyer to be the better paid profession. Teachers should be making good money, and fighting to keep their job. Same with admin.

You were doing good up until "same with administration" that's where the problem lies, they are the ones responsible for the ill spending, I'd say fire them all and put people in those positions that have management skills, right now the way its designed you get an administration position based on tenure in public school system and "who you know up top", i know this cuz I've got friends and family in the school district, that's a swamp in it of itself that needs draining, BIGTIME.

I'm quite familiar with the school system and the way it works here in California.Mom's a retired school teacher,kindergarten and 1st grade,daughter a teacher at a private school.

• Like 2

You were doing good up until "same with administration" that's where the problem lies, they are the ones responsible for the ill spending, I'd say fire them all and put people in those positions that have management skills, right now the way its designed you get an administration position based on tenure in public school system and "who you know up top", i know this cuz I've got friends and family in the school district, that's a swamp in it of itself that needs draining, BIGTIME.

We don't seem to actually disagree. I want better admin. And I believe compensation could be the roadblock

• Like 2

We don't seem to actually disagree. I want better admin. And I believe compensation could be the roadblock

One of the biggest obstacles to getting better admin people is that it is almost impossible to get rid of the ones that suck. The Unions, tenure and cronyism make it almost impossible to clear the decks.

In the real world, these folks would be canned in a heartbeat,but, they are protected and thus are not going anywhere. 

• Like 5

I've been in a union that 'twisted your arm' to vote a certain way before. (I did the opposite, told them to fuck off too but I was young and didn't like being told what to do) More sour grapes to the election results I'm afraid. Teachers should be neutral when discussing things like this to the young..

Couldn't read, this isn't a link. But this is...

http://thedailycaller.com/2016/11/18/san-francisco-teachers-union-releases-anti-trump-lesson-plan/

How do you post a link like that? I tried, but it didn't work. 

Copy the address you want to link, then click the LINC button.... it's just below the font SIZE button. (doesn't say LINK but has small green blob under it) Paste your URL address and hit the OK.

Hey. I'm an Iranian taxicab driver. I know how to drive, I just can't explain to you how to change gears.  

The State allocates funding for schools, in an asinine fashion. Example... In our District, we had a rural schools fund, used to add multipurpose buildings to several of our sites. The State spent millions on these projects. Within a couple years, the schools were too poor to even operate. 4 of 13 sites were closed, and students were bussed to the remaining schools. We now lease one of the sites to a Private school, and the other three remain closed. Collectively, just the funds wasted on the multipurpose buildings at those 3 locations, totals 15 million dollars.

I could site several examples of money wasted in our District, because of State funding being poorly distributed.

The schools aren't in need of more money, they are in need of better money management.

Edit: corrected paradime like spelling mistakes.

• Like 3

The State allocates funding for schools, in an asinine fashion. Example... In our District, we had a rural schools fund, used to add multipurpose buildings to several of our sites. The State spent millions on these projects. Within a couple years, the schools were too poor to even operate. 4 of 13 sites were closed, and students were bussed to the remaining schools. We now lease one of the sites to a Private school, and the other three remain closed. Collectively, just the funds wasted on the multipurpose buildings at those 3 locations, totals 15 million dollars.

I could site several examples of money wasted in our District, because of State funding being poorly distributed.

The schools aren't in need of more money, they are in need of better money management.

Edit: corrected paradime like spelling mistakes.

I'm sure you can use this same principle to several parts of government. State and federal..