Canby 2015 10th anniversary, No Excuses June 13th-14th

Janksun

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you all working on your Datsuns?!

Non stop. I decided to get at my exhaust leak at the manifold last week. It's been one surprise after the other ever since. I just came across this fun one now.

image_zpsf5v9c7n1.jpg

image_zpspdmzku36.jpg

image_zpsne3wqxld.jpg

image_zpsgbuc8f2c.jpg

image_zpsstj2jpxk.jpg

Looks like I'll be visiting my local welders tomorrow...

I have my fingers crossed they can lob enough weld on what's left to close it up for Canby!

• Like 1

Oh boy, so Mohammed's 610 is stuck at my place tonight.  After successfully retrofitting the 280zx struts with adapter plates, we found all the springs we had including the original 610 springs were too tall.  So, I had a leftover set of stock Maxima springs and we cut two coils off those and heated them up on the tops to get the angle right.  And of course I ran out of oxygen during the second one, so I had a painfully long time with MAPP gas and heating the spring on the second one.

Anyway, got them just about right, it's definitely lower in the front now and even though cut springs, it seems as though it will ride well enough until we eventually get better springs or just put an adjustable collar on the strut tube and call it good with some coilover springs.

NOW, for the bad part.  Mohammed had 280zx calipers, or so he thought.  I went to go put them on and said, wait a second, this doesn't look right.  And they weren't  280Z, not ZX.  So now we need to find calipers tomorrow.  There's one 280zx in the pull and save, I highly doubt it has any front suspension left, but we'll check.  All my NAPA calipers are back east, so that won't fly.  Oddly, Autozone may be my savior as they seem to carry some oddball stuff like the rear calipers for my Maxima.  Think they're two days out.  So I'm going to go nuts trying to find parts tomorrow morning and then we'll see where we're at.  I still haven't gotten the new speakers in the wagon.

However, it's late and I'm trying to get the house cool and I'm fing tired.  So we'll pick this back up in the morning with a success story or backdating to something else I happen to have in the shop that will work.

• Like 2

Because I'm fucking tired!!  :D  Not to mention I already had to weld on the additional plates due to time, don't have a lathe or plasma-cutter (if I wanted to do it nice), insert other excuse here.  Really just want calipers as that will complete the 610 for going to Canby.  Plus it looks good lowered and springs are cheap and after Canby we can put the "perfect" stuff on.

Otherwise, I'm going to have to beg/borrow steal some 610 strut inserts because the ones we have are blown.  Of course, if worst comes to worst, we'll just throw those back on and wing it.  But then that requires removing all the damn stuff again.  Running out of days to prepare for Canby!

• Like 1

Oh, and I stepped on my death wheel grinder and broke my last cutting disc.   :(  And we should have just thought ahead and gotten threaded collars.  Alas, not going to happen now!

Cut it off and plug the hole.

I can't do that! Cutting and plugging isn't how I operate, or how the engine was designed to operate.

My local bead blast and welder guy got me right in this morning! It's going to happen.

image_zpslqsttu2z.jpg

image_zpssdvbr3cu.jpg

image_zpszrmj9olq.jpg

image_zpszppsgyim.jpg

image_zps6wynosqm.jpg

image_zps5khwybns.jpg

image_zpstf6fxezd.jpg

just a heads up,  they had the " pavement profiler" out again last night.   One side of 99e on the end of town nearest to Aurora is all torn up,& under construction,  I don't know why they always do this the same time as the Canby show,   maybe they think, " Hey, there's going to be something like 100- 200 lowered Datsuns coming into town, lets welcome them by tearing up the main road through town!"

• Like 3