Project Kaoss: Bagged and Bodied 620.

kaoss

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry guys havent been on here lately, i notched the frame for bag clearance and also modified the cross member for it to lay out on 18's, but i notched the steering so it could lay frame on a big tire, my front set up could lay out on a 25-26" wheel which is basically a 20, a lil over kill but works great, also notching the frame did help the lower arm clearance

• 2 weeks later...

I now have 4 matching tires, but not 4 matching valve stems so I have to take them back to the tire shop to get chrome ones on the other two. Seems petty, but who the hell runs black rubber stems on billets?

I got the other bag mount tacked in.

IMAG0175.jpg

These are the parts that I got bent, had to cut and test fit, cut and test fit, cut and test fit, then it wouldn't fit in the chop saw so it was to the vice with the cut off wheel and the grinder. Total pain in the ass, but it's the details that count.

IMAG0180.jpg

This picture doesn't show the hour and half of grinding...

So after I got those squared away and tacked in, it was time to play a little mini truckin' by numbers. I made some templates to take to the fab shop to have my vertical gussets cut.

IMAG0181.jpg

Sunday I may throw the cross member on the rear put all matching wheels and tires on it and roll it out of the garage, just to make the neighbors wonder.

Nobody EVER sees the hours spent doing all the tedious things needed to create something custom. That looks plenty strong & well designed.

Only other fabricators. I do agree though.

Not perfect, but the best I can get with a 40 year old vice, a propane torch and a 3lb sledge.

Driver side will be next weekend. Then I'm taking a day off from work to fully weld all of it in.

Looks atleast as good as stuff we put out of our shop. Should be strong as hell with that thick of plate bent around it. Kinda makes that last couple of gussetts that you put on redundant, but better over engineered than just under.

Have fun with all of that welding. In my opinion, the hours shaping things with hammers and torches are far more entertaining than the welding it out part after it's fit. You welding everything in position, or rolling it out so most of the welds are done flat?

You welding everything in position, or rolling it out so most of the welds are done flat?

Can you clarify what you mean on this? "in position"? suspension position? Weld position? "welds done flat"?

welds.. It's easier to weld on a flat surface than vertical or overhead, so in the shop, when possible, I roll things over so that the welds are mostly done flat. My welders that I hire for jobs on the other hand, often just weld things "in position" as in, they move around the thing to be welded, rather than moving it to make the welds more accessible.

I'm a pro fabricator, but not the best welder. I can QC welds well enough, but I tend to be on the slow side as welders go, so I like to make the welding easy on myself when I have to do it.

Awesome! Thanks! I figured that's what you were referring to, but I thought I'd clarify in case it was something different.

For all the non-pro weldeders out there.... www.weldingtipsandtricks.com is an awesome site for video demonstrations on different positions and techniques :)

2eDeYe' date='15 May 2011 - 10:14 AM' timestamp='1305479670' post='476503']

First rule of welding. Get comfortable :D

...actually.....I think the first rule is get a welder! :) I'm comfortable on the couch, but it doesn't help my welds for shit! LOL!!

• Like 1