Project Kaoss: Bagged and Bodied 620.

kaoss

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read through this entire thread. Lookin good ;) I wish I had the know how to bag my truck. Static drop: for the guyy that doesn't know any better lolol. No jk no offense to my static drop brothers. Im just envious. Anxious to see where this goes.

Most of it is in position. For some reason my welds that are done on vertical joints turn out best, when I weld from the top to the bottom.

That's called a downhill. It's a no no in industrial welding. They look slick but don't penitrate like an uphill (bottom to top). Pipeline welders weld all downhill though. As much weld as you have in such a small area, it should be fine though. Your gussets are carrying the pressure more than relying on the welds. Looks good so far.

Ha! Weekend just started and I've already set out to do what I wanted to get done!

IMG_3832.jpg

IMG_3833.jpg

Doesn't get much better than this. It gets good lift also about 2" below stock height. If anyone ever saw me cruise the mazda, normal ride height was about 1/2" off the ground.

IMG_3835.jpg

And my awesome wheels. It looks like an inch and half Z is in store for this thing in order for it to get to lay.

IMG_3834.jpg

With all that work you should at least found a 79 doner frame to swap out upper control arm mounts to convert to ball joints, disk brakes and drop spindles

• Like 1

That's not a matter of work, that's a matter of money, and I decided to cut it out of the budget. I would have gone with a narrowed '92 Toyota front clip and a narrowed 7.5 Ford rear end had the budget allowed it.

• 2 weeks later...

Blew everything apart to weld it all up. Probably spent a total of 4 hours welding, I'm exhausted, no way I could do this for a living.

IMAG0216.jpg

IMAG0215.jpg

IMAG0217.jpg

First time that I ever reached the cycle duty of my welder.

IMAG0218.jpg

looks awesome im supposed to pick up a 73 datsun pickup, its a 4 cylinder with manual trans(she says it a 5 speed but idk bout that) it only has a leaking radiator and she only wants 250 bucks for it and it ran good a couple of months ago when she parked it she said. that will be my first mini project and this thread will help me alot! i cant afford bags but im aiming to get it as low as possible with my buddies help that have some experience. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Blew everything apart to weld it all up. Probably spent a total of 4 hours welding, I'm exhausted, no way I could do this for a living.

Notice I said we hire welders in the shop whenever the budget allows. Welding can be mind numbing when you have to do it all day. Gives a person plenty of time to let his mind wonder on to design future projects though.

How soon do you think you will be able to start putting it all back together?

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

I've learned everything I know off the internet :)

I may get to drive it this year, but now that we are in the second half of the year, It's doubtful. I should have done shock mounts and triangulate the lower control arms before I took it all apart. Oh well. Even if I found the time to work on it more, things like $400 worth of shocks, $400 compressors, $200 valves, $150 exhaust, $200 brake parts, $150 front end parts, the list just goes on and on of money that I need to spend on it would put a stop to the project.

Shortening the frame rails is next on the list after the passenger bottom gets cut away.

So im gonna do it. I read through this entire thread post by post. Im gonna bag my truck and im using this thread as a reference. If u have any tips or advice lemme kno. i may ask for clarification on a few things as i go. thanks for the inspiration!

Well, Henry from Canada stopped by on his North American Tour and we decided that we would just replace the frame rails on it while he was here.

I built a jig a long time to locate the body mounts. We used with a few pieces of additional metal to jig it up, cut out the old frame rails, and tack in some new ones.

IMAG0241.jpg

IMAG0243.jpg