69 521 Build

earlyvws

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will get a pic of mine when I get back to the warehouse.

Just a quick update on the head surfacing. I couldn't get the smallest feeler gauge under a straight edge. I think it was a .001 but defiantly a .003 so I would say it is very flat. Took a pic but hard to hold a straight edge and take a reasonable pic. But it is the same all the way across the head in every direction.

EF6C4AEB-322E-4D6D-9FD6-7E7C9FC22584.jpg

Yeah the alt is on the driver side. I figure for now I will try it out. It seems to work better on that side cuz of the mounting lugs, and I didn't have to fab anything. The bracket I used is one that had a tensioner pulley on it. So I drilled the hole a little larger and threaded it for m10 1.5 and it works great. If it doesn't clear the steering box I will try dabbing something for the other side. This is the GM alt that is in the sticky in the electrical section.

So I bent one if the upper control arms trying to press in the bushings. So now I'm going to fab some UCA with heim joints and hopefully not have to cut the cab inner fender to clear. I was planning to make them adjustable without having to take the arm off, but the heims I got were very expensive, so adjustment will have to be with the arm disconnected.

No, I don't think I have to. The pumpkin on this toyota seems to clear.

sorry just thought of this then remembered u are running yota axle.......i hope......mine would hit about a inch down on the back of the pumpkin.... banged the fuck out of it ... prolly could notche the tubing but i just cut it off and moved it back .,..

not being critical .. just when i saw that bad ass frame sitting there it came to me instantly ... id run it if its a issue theres plenty of room under there to do it withthe bed on

I dont know if the alternqtor on that side is a good idea. What bolt is the alt adjustment bolts too. I cant see it behind the pully?

come on it could be cutting edge .... what we do if this is the next saturn alt upgrade.... i say run it the angle of the motor should keep it off the box and for me its intrigueing cuz my saturn alt hits theidleer arm when the belt gets old and needs replacing ... that will drive u crazy

• Like 2

come on it could be cutting edge .... what we do if this is the next saturn alt upgrade.... i say run it the angle of the motor should keep it off the box and for me its intrigueing cuz my saturn alt hits theidleer arm when the belt gets old and needs replacing ... that will drive u crazy

It drives me crazy because it breaks the front lower alt. mount bolt every time it hits the idler arm top, I bet I have had to fix that 5 times so far, in the end I made a custom lower alt. mount that moves the bottom mount down an inch, that way I could tilt the 720 IR alt. in towards the engine more and run a shorter belt.

Here is where the alt bracket is attached. If I thought of this earlier I would have welded up the hole and drilled a smaller one to fit around the M6 bolt that goes into the water pump.

9EE9ED3E-76E9-4872-B4C6-FAA4538023AB.jpg

This is the stock bracket pictured in the earlier post. The only mod so far was to tap the top hole to M10x1.50. The only issue I'm having is finding a long enough bolt that has more threads and less shoulder. If I can't find the bolt I can open the front half if the hole a little larger so the shoulder can pass through. I threaded the whole length of the hole.

Testing a shorter belt. It can bring the alt closer to the block, but the pulley alignment gets a little off cuz the bracket on top isn't straight. But if u liked this position u could just remove a little bit off the bottom bracket to get the alignment back.

EC80D573-AB98-4AC6-9BE9-28206DEFC1C8.jpg

B7DF6A47-CD98-43C2-933B-3A69DB06560E.jpg

I did grind a little off the top of the alt to allow the top bracket to clear the alt. if I didn't already powder it I would have ground the bracket instead.

So I got started on my UCAs. Made a jig and machined the bars. Broke a tap in one so gonna probably have to make another one.

BAB70B09-690B-4635-BB88-4E529438C3DE.jpg

• Like 1

I think I found a solution to that problem last night. On some 510 parts site I saw a strut they sell for the alt. picking up stuff to make one and relocate it off the pump.

Thanks for the heads up. Since u guys are familiar with these things u know problems before I will.

Well it will be awhile before you get this running Im thinking it will stress the water pump and the front cover in that area with vibration and leak after a while.

doesnt it pretty much mount the same way on the other side too ... shit i dunno evey motor i bought has used different holes for the alt bracket ... lol

no your right theres two upper holes near the head u can use on passenger side