69 521 Build

earlyvws

I almost made to get the cab on, but not just yet.

Finally think I solved the alternator. The belt I am using is a vw 905mm. It works but the alt is close to the idler. I am going to see if I can find a 900 so I can sign off on this and finally get the cab on.

My alt bracket was different then the one in the thread on here about this gm alt conversion. So it became a lot more difficult. But here is what I did.

Added a new location a bit higher and farther out. Milled a lot of areas of the OG bracket. A made a small extension that bolts to the alt so my top bracket could reach.

F025E582-F009-4FAA-AA39-BCE3A6B08DCF.jpg

3B3325D4-7594-4F34-A739-A658AA4B773B.jpg

A4886D92-46ED-4923-A266-56B4968D64F3.jpg

D64F948B-C6B7-4878-A4C4-53C4CF393FD6.jpg

4DE98A83-2348-460A-902D-F9ACC4DFED73.jpg

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reprinted the front hood and had to color sand and buff it cuz I got a lot of dirt this time. I was hoping to avoid this cuz I suck at sanding/buffing. I am hoping it won't stand out to much from the rest of the panels.

66776132-497C-4790-9AD1-F09CF7811BD2.jpg

2C21057F-4D28-4067-A6CA-A15DDDA32A80.jpg

Painted the dash. For some reason the blaster did get the OG texture off. Not sure if I like it this way. I might prep the other dash and try again.

E451DB93-D39F-44E9-A453-F976BAA808E7.jpg

Cut the inner fender to clear the UCAs hopefully this is big enough.

3BB89463-57F8-43AF-9679-8E3DEA614DB9.jpg

• Like 1

As for coil overs, I don't know anything about them. I didn't even know you could make the switch until recently. Guess it is just inexperience on my part.

No worries - torsion bars are superior. A lot of guys like small-diameter coilovers because race car. Or because bling (e.g. "it looks better").

Picked my KA tranny out of a s13.

F1F4896F-8B9B-44EA-9BA5-832A64F028A9.jpg

Ran out of time tonight because of the tranny. For some reason all the s13/s14 guys around here live everywhere but near me. Have to make a trek for all these parts.

So tomorrow night I might not get a chance to work cuz I may be going on a super secret mission. I don't know yet. Researching tonight to see what kind of trouble I may be getting myself into. Turns out I really want something I didn't know I really wanted. Throw around words like rare, desirable etc and I can't resist.

I finally got the cab on. Gonna have to be called a test fit. Has to come back off to trim more around the UCAs but at least it is all the way down.

552D1DD4-1E61-45F2-8320-3EEE175F3206.jpg

05114D88-DDF2-4844-92B6-34F8215EED11.jpg

F80862E4-C653-4AA9-B7EA-439A52E24BFB.jpg

Oh and the 900 mm belt works better. Have more room away from the idler and I can really tighten it to whatever the correct tension is supposed to be.

• Like 1

Beautiful work.

In answer to the previous question, the 2013 Silverado 3/4 ton still uses torsion bars. Most manufacturers have switched to the cheaper coil springs.

Torsion bars were one key to the VW success. It all depends on layout and packaging.

Back from my long trip and bought this. I blame mrbigtanker for this. Flashing his motor around. I didn't even know what I was looking at until now.

So going further down the rabbit hole I got an fj20 motor or wall art. Not sure yet. Main thing is it's missing a crank. But everything seems to be there otherwise less some external stuff.

657776B1-DD11-4393-AA15-23FE6D4C0192.jpg

Any info on this intake? Dude thinks it might be a one off for a japanese racing team. It almost seems as if I should run carbs with this unique piece.

D61F7E01-131B-46E2-9B5E-767AD1D12207.jpg

Name on intake says KASHIMA

Anyways gonna need a lot of help/ advice if I'm ever going to get this to be a running motor.

Anyone know where there is a fj20 crank?

Mrbigtanker can I hit u up on what is in ur truck exactly so I have a chance at this working? Maybe a list of all the necessary pieces, fuel mgmt, etc...

Wow i guess its time I find another motor,and there is 1 in long beach california complete for sale and its running.

The intake is not a one off first of all and second yes Mikuni's would be the choice,there is a guy called Wolf's creek racing back east but he is a fuckin douche bag to deal with,but good luck.

I heard you can get cranks for them down here in the south bay area not sure were.

There is a website you can get all the info and parts from,called FJ20.com

And congrats on owning the best 4 cylinder motor nissan built,of course other guys will talk shit but the truth does hurt also.

I have been busy reworking things. Ive decided to go with the KA swap now instead of later. So I tore down the motor and dropped most of it off to the machine shop. I bought some WRX seats since the bench seat will not work with the KA tranny. So that is started. Dash pad was dropped off to get recovered. So I should have some good pics soon.

FJ20 will be saved for the future, as I cannot build it anyways without a crank. I may have a crank from OZ but I havn't heard back with the payment info. 

Right now I am dealing with the loss of my Mom. She passed away today. I don't normally publicly tell things like this. But I feel a little comfort saying it out loud to people I don't know. My Mom had my brother and I sworn to secrecy. She didnt want family to know. So finally getting to tell someone is a relief. Even if it to you whom I never met. 

• Like 4

Thanks for the prayers.

So after considering the L18 expense left I decided it was a waste of time. So I am fast tracking the KA to get it installed before I bolt the cab down.

I was going to have to buy, carb, manifold, distributer, drive shaft, upholster bench. All for just a few months of driving. So the math made it obvious this was a waste of time and money.

So Mrbigtanker, u will still be on top with the FJ. Since I don't think it will be going into this truck later. So that gives u some time to seek out the next big thing before I can finish a second truck and build the FJ. Is there a saying imitation is the highest form of flattery or something like that?

I still have some humor left in me today. Not the funniest post but I'm trying.

• Like 1

Dude when your ready to build that FJ let me know and I will help you in every way to build a badder louder bestest faster shinier.I can't be the the only guy with a 521 in the world with a FJ.when you have time take a good look at it when you get the KA compare port sizes and so forth you will wonder why it's a badass motor.

Joseph:

What terrible news. Made all the worse to hear because I have met you, and based on how forthright you are, your mom must have been pretty neat lady.

KA, FJ, it matters not today. My thoughts are with you. 

• Like 2

Fitting the seat. As is it will be just enough for me to be comfortable. Hopefully after I tear them apart I can remove some of the foam on the back and then get 1 or 2 more notches back which will make it useable for people around 6 ' and under.

3E36390C-4089-4DB2-B5D6-FDFF20C0F671.jpg

• Like 1

So the last few days been working on the seats. I tried to get as much leg room as possible but it is going to be just enough for me but a little close. I stripped the material, broke all the stitches start cutting out the patterns and started sewing.

Things weren't going well last night and then I figured I was going to have to pay to have the seats recovered. So last night I started looking for more seats hoping to find something decent. Found something that was perfect. The color is a little brighter then what I choose already, and the look is a little not my taste, but this is cheaper and they are done.

Late ninties honda del sol seats recovered in German vinyl. Fit is great I can make a small jump seat for my 5 year old in the middle. Still a bit of a short leg room but maybe there is no way around it.

420A59CC-42BF-4862-9D9E-E28218B8AF6A.jpg

466C4277-2A70-49ED-AD24-91E994D10211.jpg

• Like 3

Honda del sol seats are not easy to find, that is a score.

Bucket seats are going to restrict leg room no matter what you do, the best that can be done is to mount them as high as possible, till your head is almost going to hit the top, doing that moves your feet away from the pedals, giving you some legroom.

My fix for the issue your having is to kingcab it, lots of legroom then.

DSCN0077.JPG