69 521 Build

earlyvws

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight I started on the battery box, but stopped cuz I got to get the bed out to get the measurements. So I changed over to the cab.

Made a firewall panel out of black ABS. Had to figure out the e-brake. Put some RAZO pedals on. Had to mod the accelerator one. It was to big and need more curve. I drilled holes and bolted them instead of their complicated brackets. Made seals and installed the air box. Did some other little things I forgot.

98CFAD69-A772-44FD-B8B4-EC77F7D3543D.jpg

AC54C1AE-0ED8-4044-96C8-24DF8234DA58.jpg

Forgot I got the KA valve cover done.

C4773635-59B3-44A5-B488-8DF910DDB7F4.jpg

• Like 2

I would love to see how you did the raised bed. I've never raised a single wall truck bed before. 

I forgot to add, my bed floor is raised 5in. (Body Dropped) But it looks like there will be enough room under a stock floor.

532D8E2D-17BC-484C-8C1B-6FBEA74E5A33-132

There has to be more to it than what is shown, there has to be something that keeps the battery from shifting sideways and having both posts touching the metal box/housing and starting a fire.

I suppose that you can stand it up, but it is still awful close to the metal lid, and what if the vehicle ever rolled?

I'm not done. Actually the top lid does lock the battery down. It secures the battery in a specific position and it does not move. With the hinged lid up there is 2" of free space from the terminal to the lid. I left room around the battery to put rubber sheets for more protection.

There is actually A LOT more work to this left to do. This was all that I was able to finish before I left on my vacation. I think the final result will make more sense when you see it.

• Like 1

As I said, there had to be more to it than that, you seem like someone that knows what they are doing, but I would hate for someone to just see that and copy it just like it is in the photo and think it is good because this is how that guy did it.

Truth be known, I always thought that the battery under the back seat in the cab of a bug was stupid, heard of more than one issue with someone sitting in the back seat and starting a melt down, but maybe all the proper equipment wasn't there to stop that from happening, I had a 70 bug, had a lot of fun with that one till it died.

I never got the VW itch, I never really chose any particular brand till Datsun, but before I bought my second Datsun I never had enough money at once to collect(lets call it that) any particular brand of vehicle.

• Like 1

Back from vacation and back to work. Almost finished the battery box.

43AB688D-D064-496B-8FB5-DB7A44702D87.jpg

6189E714-3C7F-4526-ADFE-175C58453A2A.jpg

Instead of doing bodywork I decided to put the dash in and start figuring out how to clean up the wiring in the engine compartment.

The pics of the dash don't look as good as in person. Colors are misrepresented and distance for a whole dash shot kind of sucks.

2F2897C1-D268-41B2-B4DC-A971E187BB98.jpg

54847400-2210-4D2A-B761-6AC26FF56F58.jpg

1847E299-0CCE-4D66-A0EA-94A2484F4424.jpg

I don't like painting plastic but I may have to paint the speedo bezel (surround) whatever. So if I paint should I leave it black or try to find a red. If red probably won't be exact and then have another red in the mix.

• Like 1

I also would leave it black, I don't believe that I have ever seen a stock one any other color than black, and I have bought 520 dashes/dash tops that were brown instead of the normal dark gray, but that bezel I believe was black, it seems like I would have kept one if it was not black just to say I had one that was not black.

The dash looks good to me, as a matter of fact, it's starting to look to good, I would be afraid if I touched your truck it I would get it dirty, I can't even wash the grease off anymore. :lol:

Everything I did today may end up being for nothing. Since everyone is saying the Champion radiators suck and now that I'm doing the KA the upper radiator hose is on the wrong side.

Since I don't know what other radiator to use just yet, I decided to make this one fit without cutting the body. I had to lower it because the cap hits the bottom of my hood with the panel I made. So this looks like it will just barely fit with the motor installed. Not sure yet. And because the radiator is in a different spot I was able to make a wire tube to better hide the wires in front. Without it they kept hanging down in spots and looked ugly.

But if I have to change radiators everything will have to be scratched.

64933DDB-A032-4591-A659-B97969D30A18.jpg

0319FAF2-8AEE-4529-861F-3BF2C1E8144C.jpg

I just noticed you left the battery tray under the hood, why first of all other then it being your truck,which that part i understand.

And why are you spacing the radiator off the front, it will be real tight in there not to mention in my eyes ugly just like my red truck was, the motor looks like it cant breath in there.

Also what is that pipe for, is that a Bong or something?

I would cut or notch the front and lose the support bar to sink the fan more forward and bring the radiator closer to the bumper to free up more space.

And yes Champion radiators are fuckin china garbage.But its on your truck and not mine.

But it still looking good though. :thumbup:

I had to space it out for the fan. I don't want to cut anything until I know what radiator I am using. If this one works I will cut then. But if it turns out to not work out, or is a bad radiator then I need to find a different one so then I will cut what needs cutting for the final one. I haven't decided on what is getting cut out yet. I keep having to cut and I don't want to have to repaint everything again. So Im thinking the battery tray will be the radiator overflow tank location.

Will it will fit yes, but tight they were running a smaller battery to just make it fit. And i would of cut the battery tray out before i painted it.there is not a whole lot of room in those bays,will it work YES but is it tight and crammed in there YES. And what is that pipe for? to hide wires say it is not so.