69 521 Build

earlyvws

I think I found a solution to that problem last night. On some 510 parts site I saw a strut they sell for the alt. picking up stuff to make one and relocate it off the pump.

Thanks for the heads up. Since u guys are familiar with these things u know problems before I will.

like the rear end hitting that shock cross member...!!!!   your rear end looks similar to the h190 in shape........mine hit anytime i got close to using the notch .... i was banging even before the notch ...

FA67CAD8-C2E2-4A64-8185-DED774BA43CE_zps

even before this low i was hitting

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a couple of friends that conned me into finishing my notch for this weekend show. They are helping me finish this thing up to drive into a show on April 6. So April 7 I will be back 100% on the 521. I have been working on small things. Redsigned the UCA I started making. I realized I don't feel comfortable with the strength so I bought a few things to start a new design. Show those as soon as I can make them.

I will be back April 7 with some updates, unless you want updates on the Notch progress lol.

• Like 1

So I spent about 4 days making UCA's but gave up because I didn't like having to rely on welds on certain areas that were 1/2" thick. So I fixed the bent UCA and got the front end back together.

Then I welded the perches on the rear end cleaned and painted it. So the rear is basically done except brakes and shocks.

Then been working on motor and tranny and exhaust. But ran into a problem. The oil pump is hitting my sway bar. So I am going to make 1/2" thick plates to move the sway bar down. I hope this works.

130BAF73-1EB9-4879-8351-D6A50B0D3A5E.jpg

The alt is probably not going to work on the driver side. Know more after I reassemble the steering box.

I hope to have the cab in sometime this week. But there are a lot of little maching projects I have to do. Plus I would like to have most of the exhaust installed before the cab is on. And I still have to figure out where I am going to trim the wheel wells.

51B45B58-1DBC-44D0-B99E-19770946218A.jpg

9616FBA9-6720-490A-AA7D-5F2D521170FF.jpg

• Like 3

What am I missing?  Why does the oil pump hit the sway bar? 

I made my own exhaust system for this truck, Ratsun on this page.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/30606-my-ratsun-datsun-521/page-17

Make a down pipe off the exhaust manifold, bring it back along side the transmission, in the stock location.   Put a flange in it before it bends to cross under the cab, to the right side of the truck. 

Make the pipe between the down pipe to the stock muffler location, choose a muffler, make the tail pipe.

The front pipe, with a flange allows you to remove just that section of pipe, and you can remove the transmission, or the engine without having to move the whole exhaust system.

Question for you,you got this truck coming together real nice,but why go through all the trouble to re-do to front ball joint conversion,but stay with torsion bars,dont you think coil overs would be the way to go,considering you got the room now and also clean up the frame by removing all the torsion bar crap.Just wondering.

What am I missing?  Why does the oil pump hit the sway bar? 

I made my own exhaust system for this truck, Ratsun on this page.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/30606-my-ratsun-datsun-521/page-17

Make a down pipe off the exhaust manifold, bring it back along side the transmission, in the stock location.   Put a flange in it before it bends to cross under the cab, to the right side of the truck. 

Make the pipe between the down pipe to the stock muffler location, choose a muffler, make the tail pipe.

The front pipe, with a flange allows you to remove just that section of pipe, and you can remove the transmission, or the engine without having to move the whole exhaust system.

And i agree with Daniel why is your oil pump hitting,are you useing a lower rubber mount and also do you have a 521 oil pan.

I had to relocate the sway bar. In the stock position it did not reach the lower control arm. I'm using the stock 521 sway. The d21 would not work. I tried it first. As for coil overs, I don't know anything about them. I didn't even know you could make the switch until recently. Guess it is just inexperience on my part.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Funny I finally have something to update. Life has been busy getting in the way of progress. But I have almost everything done on the frame. Just need to figure out the alternator.

Cut the inner fender to fit around the UCA. Reprinting the hood as I found some pin holes when I put it on the cab. Painted the dash. Solved a shit load of stupid problems.

And finally picked up the first piece of stage 2 post production shit.

D383E8A0-5A25-467A-A401-BA37649FDA6B.jpg

43AF75CB-32B5-41FB-A148-BBE1D1D944B1.jpg

There is a s13 tranny on CL close by that I am going to try to get.

Has a rod knock but I was going to do a tear down on any motor I bought. So hopefully it will be ok.

More pics tomorrow. Hopefully can put cab on tomorrow if I get enough time and accomplish a the final little things.

• Like 2

The car came out real nice,few things more need cleaning but it came out bitchin,if your a purist then well its not for you but overall very tastefully done people were almost snapping there necks checking it out.The only down side is the passenger door is rubbing,the gaps are cherry but it needs to go back in to be addressed.