69 521 Build

earlyvws

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So lots of little progress. Currently working on the notch and the datsun. Had a little shock when working on the motor. Turns out it is not a L20B. Instead it is a L18. So I am not going to spend a lot of money on this motor. Just use it for now and I want to do a ka24de swap latter.

Did some research and it sounds like the FS5W71B tranny will work with a KA. Is this correct? Is this a good combo or just a compromise. It looks like I have the long version. If it works well then it sounds like it solves a few issues such as driveline after I have one made. There is a guy on CL with a KA 5 speed for $300 right now. Is that a better option?

Are you sure that is an L18? If you post the engine number I bet DatzenMike could let you know for sure. I'm pretty sure that engine you showed me has later manifolds on it. I don't think a KA trans will work with your L engine. The NAPZ may be the one where you can change the bell housing from KA to L pattern. I think the 80 720 had a L pattern. Again, DatzenMike seems to be the tranny guru.

L18 makes some nice RPM 

The block says L18 on the right side.

I want to know if a KA24de motor and a FS5W71B tranny is a good combo.

Reason being is if I get the L18 and the. FS5W71B installed then later I can swap out just the motor.

But if I have to change the tranny too then I will probably have to change the drive shaft etc. just trying to figure out what to spend money on now because I will change over as soon as I have everything for a ka24de swap.

My understanding, the L-engines have a tilt, or lean to the right, and other Datsun, or Nissan engines do not, or tilt differently.

Transmissions for L engines, and and other Datsun engines may bolt up to each other, but the tilt would not match.  So either the engine or the transmission mounts would not line up, and the shifter my come up at an awkward angle.

My understanding, the L-engines have a tilt, or lean to the right, and other Datsun, or Nissan engines do not, or tilt differently.

Transmissions for L engines, and and other Datsun engines may bolt up to each other, but the tilt would not match.  So either the engine or the transmission mounts would not like up, and the shifter my come up at an awkward angle.

this si the other i was talking about ... daniel c  always brings the facts... always a good contributor

Maybe I'm using the wrong terms. Everyone seems to think I'm trying to use the L18 motor with a KA tranny.

I want to use a KA24de motor with the older 5 speed tranny I already have.

same problem still .. and a tthat point why not use the ka tranny..

Well I wasn't going to do a head gasket on this because I wanted to keep the cost down on this motor. But since I had to buy a full gasket kit I figured might as well do it.

So my rattle can rebuild now will have all new gaskets and timing chain kit.

So to keep cost down I did the low budget head surface job. I cleaned the valves and checked to see if they leaked and they didn't. So I think I'm all ok on this head.

This is actually not a cheap alternative for this. It cost me $0 because u had all the materials. If u have to buy everything it will actually cost more then a machine shop.

So what I used:

Mirror 2'x3' (a piece of granite would be better)

Sticky continuos roll sand paper 80/180/400

The setup

81DAAF79-6AF8-4A5D-8CC4-3D1FAC4BBAB3.jpg

Couple of passes on the 80 grit to see how bad the head is

E4AA648F-C760-4648-9590-B0FFD0BF933B.jpg

Finished in 80 grit

0E4BB561-2B13-4983-ACFB-B60F8D7D3F1E.jpg

180 grit

DCC86404-376B-4431-9286-E5436DB0FFAF.jpg

400 grit with wd40 on the paper

DE0D4496-FE0E-424A-B011-5066E5592EB8.jpg

Gonna call this done. I probably would go higher but there isn't 600 sticky paper that I am aware of.

• Like 1

Well hopefully some serious progress by Sun. The reassembly is taking a little longer cuz I have to figure out the lower control arm bushings, the front leaf spring bushings, ordering and waiting for misc bushings etc. but good news almost everything is now here and I can put everything together starting tonight.

The mock up was easy cuz I was using all the old bushings. After switching to the OG 521 leaf spring I no longer had the bushing I needed after it was taken out for powder.

The motor and tranny are nearly done and will be pictured soon. Haha

• Like 1